Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange noises that frighten your child?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I was wrapping a present for my wife just before her birthday last week (it was actually the night before-typical man thing to leave it to the last minute I suppose) and I had my 10 month old son on the bed beside me. Anyway when I pulled at the roll of celotape he went nuts at the crackling sound..and when I say nuts,I mean he was unconsoulable for about 10 mins,sobbing and grabbibg hold of me and burying his head into my shoulder.

the funny thing is,that generally hes fine around most types of sounds. You could put a full brass band in his room with him and he wouldnt bat an eyelid.

I was just wondering if any parents found that thier children experianced anything similar and how they dealt with it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Children have much more sensitive hearing, it's possible that the noise came across different to him- remember he probably didn't know what the sound was. Just speculation though.

There's a website that'll play a beeping noise at different frequencies, I'll try to find a link, it's interesting to try it on different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Thomas (when he was 4) was frightened of the vacuum cleaner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Those springy door stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The noise when a knife or fork scrapes on a plate. It makes her curl up!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Our son who is five has always been sensitive to loud noises. Even now he doesn't like the vacuum, whereas his nearly 2 year old sister loves it. When he was younger <2 years there were two noise that would instantly make him cry. One was a particular siren noise on a car toy. It had three sirens and one of them would send him off the deep end. The other was lullaby music played from a stuffed toy we had. We still have that stuffed toy and got it out for our daughter and now the music doesn't bother him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

Not really a household noise - but the music for the lucozade adds sends my little girl running!!!

Advertisement