Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

computer keeps restarting

• 17-02-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

I'm afraid my knolledge of this is fairly scant, so I'm hoping ye can help me out. My nephew has an 18 month old desktop thats running on vista and has norton anti-virus software. About 2 days ago the computer started installing windows updates and then just preceeded to restart and shut down over and over again. There is a message on screen that its "updating 3 of 3 updates" but nothing happens except this continual cycle. He tried starting it in safe mode but it starts the same process again before he can do anything.I'm sorry if this description is crap, but I'm in way over my head. He's fed up with it and dreading a trip to an expensive repair shop. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

boot sector is messed up...u need to install vista again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Ignore above. There is a hotfix for this.

Look here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ah yes, the old "I haven't a friggin' clue what I am talking about, so I'll reinstall Windows" trick. :rolleyes:

As above, use the hotfix.

RESOLUTION
    Generally, you cannot recover the Windows Vista-based system after this problem occurs. The following hotfix only prevents this problem. You must install this hotfix before you install the security package.

If this problem has already occurred, you must run a repair installation of Windows Vista.

this was taken from microsofts site

Actually, must have inadvertently skipped this bit...

"RESOLUTION
    Generally, you cannot recover the Windows Vista-based system after this problem occurs. The following hotfix only prevents this problem. You must install this hotfix before you install the security package.

If this problem has already occurred, you must run a repair installation of Windows Vista."

So if this is the case then you will have to do a Vista repair with the vista recovery cd.

And also if this is the case, then apologies to bookiebasher who may be inadvertently or other wise, correct.

• Advertisement

or just a repair will do. ;)

kleefarr apology accepted..i work in IT and have come across this problem before...

I agree with Tom Dunne that in some cases the lazy way to fix something is to reinstall windows but in this case there is no option...

yes a repair would work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ok... so what ye are generally agreed on is that he needs to use a repair program from his vista recovery cd. If thats the case, is that the same as formatting the drive and if so, will he lose all the data on the hard drive.Sorry if this is like dealling with a 5 yr old, again way over my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

No its not the same as a format and re-install , a successful repair should leave you with all your personal files intact.

Heres a link with instructions on how to do a repair in Vista ,

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

boot from the CD as per instructions , and the best option is system restore if thats available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement