Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trade-in price difference's

Options
  • 17-02-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi I looked at a few second hand cars yesterday. mainly Ford Focus's.
    And was a bit puzzeled as to the difference on the amount of trade in that garages were willing to give me on part exchange for my own car.

For example one ford garage was going to give me €4,000 for my car
    (99 1600 ghi) off a focus (1600 lx steel 2005) priced at €14,000
    Where another garage was only offering €2,500 off a focus (1600 ghi 2005) priced at €17,000.
    Both cars had similar millage (25,000) both were in different ford garages.

Can Anyone out there throw a bit a light on why there was such a large difference.

I asked the dealer of the €17,000 car why, but basiclly he started to fobb me off about the possibility that the other vendor has overpriced his car and therefore can give a bigger trade in.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

it depends on how badly the dealer wants to sell the car your looking at and how much a profit they want from it, the second dealer might already have too much cars similiar to yours to sell on and doesnt want another one unless he's going to get it at a nice price. There are loads of variables that could determine the trade in price.

I recently went to two honda garages when to price a trade in and one offered €8500 whereas the other offered €10500

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€17,000 for an 05 1.6 Focus is a bit steep isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €17,000 for an 05 1.6 Focus is a bit steep isn't it!

its the ghia model but yeh it still seems very steep

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

you can get as much off as you want in a trade in, its based on the selling price of the car. There's no problem giving you 6k of a trade in if the car is marked up by 2k, its all just playing with numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Jonny303 wrote: »
    you can get as much off as you want in a trade in, its based on the selling price of the car. There's no problem giving you 6k of a trade in if the car is marked up by 2k, its all just playing with numbers
    Exactly. Forget the trade-in figure, it's the cost to change that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Anan1 wrote: »
    Exactly. Forget the trade-in figure, it's the cost to change that matters.

have you any thoughts on which is the better deal then.

my head says the €10,000 lx steel
    where my heart is saying the €13,500 ghi

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't restrict yourself to 2 options, look for a cheaper Ghia.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

colm_mcm wrote: »
    don't restrict yourself to 2 options, look for a cheaper Ghia.

Exactly, Thanks for the advice.
    I think I'll do just that

Advertisement