Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Boards.ie forums could do with more civility.

Options
  • 17-02-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I regret to say there's been a lose of civility on the Boards over the years since I've joined. Now participating on Boards.ie seems to have become a more self-centred and mercenary activity.

For example, Bargain Alerts used to be a place were, even if what was posted didn't interest anyone, someone might still take the time to thank the poster for posting. Then Bargain Alerts was characterised by friendliness, mutual help and co-operation. Now "thanks for posting" are words I rarely read anywhere on Bargain Alerts. Unfortunately though some are all to willing to criticise instead. It's not confined to threads with little or no interest either, many posts regularly receive hundreds of views but not one person thanks the original poster.

But it would be unfair to just single out Bargain Alerts, I've found a similar attitude prevails on other Board forums. I think Boards.ie is a great social resource on the web, so I'm saddened and disappointed by this recent development.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Thanks for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

lolcatsdotcom0l6rxmxaca8w8td0.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm going to make a serious response to this.

On some sites, there is a facility to "thank" a user for their post, which in turn generates a link under that self same post along the lines of "69 people have thanked Longfield for this post" etc.

Whether it would be abused here in a similiar manner to the rep system is open to conjecture. I'd say not, as it can only be used in a positive (or in a harmless sarcastic) manner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Baragin Alerts seems fine to me. Nothing wrong with someone posting that they don't think a post is much of a bargain. In fact they are doing a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Oracle wrote: »
    For example, Bargain Alerts used to be a place were, even if what was posted didn't interest anyone, someone might still take the time to thank the poster for posting. Then Bargain Alerts was characterised by friendliness, mutual help and co-operation. Now "thanks for posting" are words I rarely read anywhere on Bargain Alerts.

I've always thought that a "thanks for posting" post was synonymous with Postcount+1, it doesn't contribute anything constructive to the thread in itself. Having said that, I have noticed quite a lot of thank you posts on the bargain pages, so there are some who feel the need to thank. It may well be that a lot of people have no interest in some of the bargain posts and hence there are no thanks for the OP.

• Advertisement

Link to what I'm talking about (see the user profile): http://www.fiatforum.com/coupe/17991-useful-coupe-info-stuff.html#post182449

I'm pretty sure there was a post specific thingy as well, I'll have a look for that now...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've seen the same thanking thing too roundy. It looks like a good idea and I think it would be a good idea to implement it here. If it ends up being abused then it can always be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've seen the same thanking thing too roundy. It looks like a good idea and I think it would be a good idea to implement it here. If it ends up being abused then it can always be removed.

I like that idea too. Does the user get a PM to let them know they've been thanked do you think?

i.e watna thanked you for such and such post. I presume there's some notification. That's be a nice way to do it. I know you can say thanks in the thread but it's be nice to have an official way to do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

watna wrote: »
    I like that idea too. Does the user get a PM to let them know they've been thanked do you think?

i.e watna thanked you for such and such post. I presume there's some notification. That's be a nice way to do it. I know you can say thanks in the thread but it's be nice to have an official way to do it.

I don't know but I'd say it would be easy to implement a notification system if it wasn't built in.

It would also show how many people have thanked you in your profile (under your postcount). It will say something like "Thanked 48 times in 16 posts".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I do see what the op is saying, adding to that there are some ppl that can be awful pricks attacking the poster rather than posts itself..

Im not referring to the first 2 replies actually because if it was my thread it would make me laugh, but im referring more to agression..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I know a few forums that have a thank you button (not using vBulletin though) and then lists under the post, 'Thanks from' <insert list of users who clicked thank you>.
    I've always asked BA posters to give feedback on <insert product> mostly in some of the popular, large threads and help each other out. It is common courtesy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Sounds like a restricted version of karma tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jebubs

Sounds like a restricted version of karma tbh.

Yes it is, but because you can only Say "Thanks I found your post helpful"

It has no negative value.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

avforums.com uses the thank you button and I think it runs on vBulletin, it works well I think it's a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Link to what I'm talking about (see the user profile): http://www.fiatforum.com/coupe/17991-useful-coupe-info-stuff.html#post182449

I'm pretty sure there was a post specific thingy as well, I'll have a look for that now...

I've seen this kind of thing work really well too.

Though, I've seen it working best where it was a "(insert number) of members voted this a quality post".

Then you can also have a weekly table of "this weeks top quality posts", which is pretty handy.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Then you can also have a weekly table of "this weeks top quality posts", which is pretty handy.

I could see posts in bargain alerts dominating that table if it was introduced here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I don't know. Does bargain elert get as many hits as, say, after hours or politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

I regret to say there's been a lose of civility on the Boards over the years since I've joined. Now participating on Boards.ie seems to have become a more self-centred and mercenary activity.

For example, Bargain Alerts used to be a place were, even if what was posted didn't interest anyone, someone might still take the time to thank the poster for posting. Then Bargain Alerts was characterised by friendliness, mutual help and co-operation. Now "thanks for posting" are words I rarely read anywhere on Bargain Alerts. Unfortunately though some are all to willing to criticise instead. It's not confined to threads with little or no interest either, many posts regularly receive hundreds of views but not one person thanks the original poster.

But it would be unfair to just single out Bargain Alerts, I've found a similar attitude prevails on other Board forums. I think Boards.ie is a great social resource on the web, so I'm saddened and disappointed by this recent development.

Yes, manners have gone out the window and there's sweet damn all that can be done about it. Any formalised attempt at introducing "TKS" will always be ridiculed out of existence by those who enjoy the wrecking game.
    These individuals represent the loony fringe that exist in every society and the only truly meaningful way one could deal with them on an effective basis simply isn't allowed in a democratic society. These scammers should be regarded as the graffiti artists of the ether world. They take a pride at hassling others and all the more so if they can do it anonymously.
    Like the poor, they will always be with us.

Abraham wrote: »
    Yes, manners have gone out the window and there's sweet damn all that can be done about it. Any formalised attempt at introducing "TKS" will always be ridiculed out of existence by those who enjoy the wrecking game.
    These individuals represent the loony fringe that exist in every society and the only truly meaningful way one could deal with them on an effective basis simply isn't allowed in a democratic society. These scammers should be regarded as the graffiti artists of the ether world. They take a pride at hassling others and all the more so if they can do it anonymously.

It is quite possible I am a sleep and dreaming this. Italics etc..

Italics are usually in dreams?

Help :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yes, manners have gone out the window and there's sweet damn all that can be done about it.
    We could probably add a bit of code that automatically edited anyone's post if they posted the entire thing in italics. That'd make it a bit more civil.

• Advertisement

/Runs off..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Boards.ie could do with more civility

Oh yeah?
    Well I heard yore ma could do with a stiff length.

Had to be done

Had to be done

So does Yore ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Whilst I appreciate the O/P's intentions, I think that the comedic (perhaps unintentional) side effects could be catastrophic. Will every post be followed by something like:

"Well, popebenny, thanks for your input, but i think raping Nuns with egg whisks is a bit extreme, but I respect your input, thanks for contributing to the discussion"

I think there was a sketch on Not the Nine O'Clock News along those lines....

If I saw something on BA that is useful and I will use it I'll say "thanks, i could do with that".... thats about it.

I do welcome newbies to my boards, but thats as far as it goes.

Point of fact: I was watching Larry King Live last night and almost every press hack on a link started their contrib by saying either "Great Show Larry" or "Great interview Larry".....urrrggghhhh....

As I said, great idea, but by God we'd go nuts from it pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

This isn't America, we don't need to start tacking on redundant platitudes and fake smiles to everything we say just so everyone can feel loved and special.

Gee guys, how about genuine appreciation?

LOL

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its true.

We do our best to promote and demand a certain level of civility but there is no way to legislate for good manners. Its a sad fact of life that "please" and "thank you" have gone out the window in society but we simply reflect society and perhaps help to oppose the slippage into outright rudeness a little...:^/

Now I sound like my dad.

I'll ask Vex if he can source that Thanks You button...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Its used well on avforums.com

He should know about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

DeVore wrote: »
    Its true.

We do our best to promote and demand a certain level of civility but there is no way to legislate for good manners. Its a sad fact of life that "please" and "thank you" have gone out the window in society but we simply reflect society and perhaps help to oppose the slippage into outright rudeness a little...:^/

Now I sound like my dad.

I'll ask Vex if he can source that Thanks You button...

DeV.

I miss theadydals have a nice day comment in her posts.

When just after she had banned someone, they were a nice touch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Marksie wrote: »
    I miss theadydals have a nice day comment in her posts.

When just after she had banned someone, they were a nice touch

+1. They were great!:)

Advertisement