Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Boards.ie forums could do with more civility.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Link to what I'm talking about (see the user profile): http://www.fiatforum.com/coupe/17991-useful-coupe-info-stuff.html#post182449

I'm pretty sure there was a post specific thingy as well, I'll have a look for that now...
    I've seen it there too ;)
    watna wrote: »
    I like that idea too. Does the user get a PM to let them know they've been thanked do you think?
    No, there is no PM but what happens is that underneath your post it says "Thanks received from: userX, user Y user Z" etc. Also your threaddisplay mini-profile keeps a tally of how many thanks you have given and how many you have received.

Have a look at post 21 on this thread. I got thanks from someone for some info I gave.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    avforums.com uses the thank you button and I think it runs on vBulletin, it works well I think it's a good idea
    Indeed.
    Sue Spanky wrote: »
    Its used well on avforums.com

He should know about it :)
    Yes he should :D:D

Also, I already suggested this whole thanks button thing here but didn't get much "thanks"* for it. :(
    The thanks button system is rarely abused on AV forums, and while I imagine it would receive nothing but abuse in AH I can see it being very valuable across many fora.

*Couldn't resist the pun!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ye know, there is that star rating thing already that so few seem to use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Kharn wrote: »
    Indeed. That, IMO, would be a much better way to judge whether or not something would be a bargain (as in the example of the Bargain Alerts forum). It works reasonable well on the Humour forum, and could work well there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

While that's useful for forums such as Bargain Alerts and Humour it's pretty useless if you want to thank one person for a particular post in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

FruitLover wrote: »
    This isn't America, we don't need to start tacking on redundant platitudes and fake smiles to everything we say just so everyone can feel loved and special.

I like this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the "thanks" reply would be a nice-to-have but wouldnt be relevent in all forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So does Yore ma.

Well played sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Marksie wrote: »
    I miss theadydals have a nice day comment in her posts.

When just after she had banned someone, they were a nice touch

Yes. She went that extra mile and put in that little bit of effort to be polite and civil.

Then I hacked something up so she could do it in a couple of clicks, hence lowering her to the same level as the rest of us :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'm not sure we need a thank you system, but as noted above there are loads of vbulletin sites with it and it seems to work. However we could do without all the 'don't know it all,but think they do' replies.

that's what gets me, especially on bargain alerts. the 'not much of a bargain tbh' ones without any further comment or links to better deals. off with their heads is what I say (politely of course).

good point. this thread for instance is top notch as evidenced by the star rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Talliesin wrote: »
    Yes. She went that extra mile and put in that little bit of effort to be polite and civil.

Then I hacked something up so she could do it in a couple of clicks, hence lowering her to the same level as the rest of us :)

Plus there is nothing quite as infuriating to a muppet as somene banning you then saying have a nice day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement