Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garrarus / Kilfarrasy Proposed Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

I imagine the residential areas at newtown cove and the surrounding area had a seriously detrimental effect on the original scenic beauty of the area. I doubt anyone would contest the fact that the amusements detract from what would otherwise be a naturally attractive area.

I don't mean to sound overtly utilitarian, but Tramore wouldn't exist were it not for construction in "areas of natural beauty".

Furthermore, Tramore's position as a viable autonomous entity is precarious. Our microeconomy is fuelled, mainly, by tourism. Our tourist appeal is obviously something we need to protect and encourage. As for the permanent residents of Tramore, they are almost exclusively commuters. This is a generally undesirable aspect of a town's identity, leading to stunted development and neglect of services. By promoting employment opportunities and inward movement into the town and its hinterland, as this development would certainly do, we strengthen our collective prospects greatly.

As for the claims of infrastructural inadequacy in the area, the views exressed are entirely miopic. Undoubtedly, the road system under the status quo is incapable of handling the traffic reciprocated by a development such as this. But this is exactly why this should be supported. The obvious shortcomings of the transportational facilities would likely be given a much-needed shot in the arm due to increased demand for improved services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So spreading concrete and tarmac is the solution to Tramores future?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Part thereof, yes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Update on this. The application has been rejected.
    Today An Bord Pleanála finally released its decision on the hotel, golf and housing complex at Garrarus and Kilfarrasy proposed by Islandikane Developments Ltd. The decision is a complete refusal to grant planning permission and one which overturns Waterford County Council’s decision to grant permission in Feb 2009.

This refusal by An Bord Pleanála is the decision that we have all worked so hard to create a case for and the Bord has recognised and reiterated the compelling reasons to preserve the site as one that is characterised by its open landscape, rural style settlement and special habitats. To read a copy of the Bord’s decision click here.

This is a landmark decision by the Bord which should provide a test case which can set a precedent to prevent similar style developments on other areas of special protection in Ireland. The positive response by the Bord to the appeals it received arguing against this development is one that substantiates the effort, expertise and dedication of all those involved in making these appeals.

This result is the culmination of each and every submission that was lodged with Waterford County Council Planning Authority as all of these were part of the file that was submitted to An Bord Pleanála and so there are many, many people who have contributed to this outcome. On behalf of GDCR I would like to thank everyone for the support, advice and work that they have undertaken in order to contribute and participate in the campaign of opposition to the proposed development.

We have preserved, for now, the landscape, character and unspoilt beauty of the place in which we live and relax and this is no small victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Disappointed to hear this but I would venture to suggest that Willie Bolster and co might be relieved! I doubt if there would be any finance forthcoming for such big projects now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

not surprisd , aren't the hotel federation looking to close hotels and want the tax payer to subsidise the closure on the line of tax incentives as there are too many beds on the market and many were built as trophy hotels,
    thank god this craziness has came too late pity it didn't happen sooner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

AN BORD Pleanála has been criticised for overturning planning permission granted by Waterford County Council for a €150 million development outside Tramore that would have acted as a “considerable economic stimulus” for the county.

More than 200 residents in the seaside town and surrounding area objected to the golf course, hotel and accommodation facilities planned at Garrarus and Kilfarrasy, about six kilometres outside Tramore, by local developer William Bolster of IslandiKane Developments.

It has been claimed the development would have created about 400 construction jobs locally and 150 long-term jobs in the area.

There was considerable opposition to the plan from residents as well as from An Taisce, Birdwatch and the Department of the Environment, while Waterford county councillors earlier this year passed a motion of no-confidence in An Bord Pleanála.

Objectors maintained the development would have an adverse effect on the coastal community and environment.

Traffic congestion in the rural area and a possible disturbance to chough birds were among concerns raised at meetings in Tramore.

A spokesman for the Garrarus and District Concerned Residents group, who opposed the proposed development, said: “It is not an inappropriate analogy to compare this site with sites of such environmental and geological significance as the Cliffs of Moher in Co Clare or the Giant’s Causeway in Co Antrim.

“If such a development were proposed in either of these locations of special protection, there would be public outrage.

“Though this site is less well known than these examples, the designations protecting it are no less and as such it must be considered and protected similarly,” said the spokesman.

However, Tramore town councillor Anne Marie Power, also a Waterford county councillor, said the decision would result in a “major blow to our economy” that “really sends out a very bad signal about jobs.

“The €150 million capital expenditure would have been a huge fiscal stimulus, not just to Tramore but to Co Waterford.

“So, from everybody’s point of view . . . the stakeholders that are interested in improving our economic base and in providing jobs, this decision was most regrettable.”

In issuing its decision, An Bord Pleanála said: “It is considered that the proposed development . . . which is highly visible from the eastern coastline and the adjoining road network, would constitute a development out of character with the existing relatively unsettled and unspoilt coastal area.”

The development would also “seriously injure” the visual and recreational amenities of the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Half expected that response.

While I liked the idea and would love this development for the town - I disagreed with the location and agree that the board made the right choice in refusing it. Would have destroyed the area. There was massive objection to this development anyway.

Some people seem to think that we should accept any development regardless of negative impact. Same for Waterford City. Some folk are unhappy that the board refuses a lot of council decessions but I doubt they have an agenda against the council. They generally make the correct choice in the end. But you have to look at the bigger picture and not just "the economy stupid". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zootie

sm123_irl wrote: »
    Again I feel the people in Tramore and susrounding area are complaining about something that would be of benifit to the tourism in the area. Everyone in Tramore complains that no one wants to develop Tramore, however when people decide to put some money into developing the area they object. This is not the 1st thing that has being objected to.

Summerhill Centre, Aldi, Dunnes, Hotel on the prom are just a number of developments objected to. People need to stop living in the past and welcome this development or else it will go away and will be back at square one.

I totally agree with this tramore people seem to wamt to stop all developemtn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tbayday

Bord Pleanála have published the Inspector's Report 223286 (Caher)
    in relation to this application on their website today. It is damning of Waterford County Council. I include some quotes
    "the development plan policies should seek to preserve such landscapes for future generations to enjoy and experience as these areas are diminishing rapidly along our national coastline..."

"To encourage and permit the proposed scheme given it’s scale, design,
    location and impact, is a travesty in planning and environmental terms..."

"Given the remote and sensitive layout, the entire design is obnoxious, obtrusive and overbearing on this unspoiled and pristine coastline.....

"In terms of national planning policy, the proposal flies in the face of the
    National Spatial Strategy and the Sustainable Rural Housing Guidelines...."

"I consider it to be urban and suburban in character and totally unsuitable for this visually sensitive location which has a high amenity value. The site itself is breathtakingly beautiful and as it unfolds from east to west, it exhibits an astounding untamed coastal countryside which is an unspoiled wilderness worth protecting as part of our national heritage...."

"Overall based on basic national planning principles and guidelines, and local development plan policies, it is incomprehensible how the nature and scale of the dwellings could be included and permitted on the subject site given it’s European status, national and local
    planning policy and given the sensitivity of the ecology and the superior quality
    of the amenities at the location...."

"Having examined the planning file, the site and the appeal documentation, I
    cannot comprehend the planning authority’s assessment or decision relating to
    the proposed development based on the European legal status of the site,
    European Case law, Ministerial advise and guidance, and national and local
    planning policy governing the area. .."

Enough said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

zootie wrote: »
    I totally agree with this tramore people seem to wamt to stop all developemtn

There is very few commercial planning applications submitted that have at least have a few objections not just in Tramore , this happens from Donegal to Dingle. Every town, village & city has its own professional objectors however Bord Pleanail only reconise legally valid objections and not unfounded claims, so if theres no faults in the plans it goes through or so should it work this waY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tbayday

The majority of people who objected to this development have never objected to any development in the past. (including me) Those who accuse the objectors of being serial objectors are wrong. While the slump might last 5 or 10years if the development had gone ahead the landscape would have been spoiled for eternity.I wish more people fully familiarised themselves with the plans and submissions. One of the property developers behind this development is one of the Anglo Irish Ten.The debts he has accrued will be paid by tax payers for generations through NAMA. Another of the developers accused those who submitted objections of living in "cocoons"! Me thinks it is the developers who are living in cocoons. This was never about job creation...just property speculation on a grand scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Totally agree with Sully and other posters and what ABP said in their report. We all want to see new jobs created and new developments in the town but this particular development was just not right in many ways.

It would be absolute madness if this was approved given the state of the country at the moment, which is largely the result of property developments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MudPuddles

For those of you who haven't seen it, I recommend reading the opinion of the Golf Environment Organisation, a golf industry body which pushes for environmentally and socially responsible golf developments. Their assessment of the planning application and the decision of Waterford Co Co could hardly have been more critical. Go to http://www.golfenvironment.org/about/news/view/waterford-choughs-on-borrowed-time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Goblindancer

Sully wrote: »
    Update on this. The application has been rejected.

YES YES YES YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

This is fantastic news for all who live in the area - like myself. Let "them"develop, if they like, but not in such an unspoilt greenbelt in an area already stretched to the limit infra structure wise from all the Celtic Tiger housing development there.

A decision FOR heritage, culture and the environment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Apologise for dragging up this thread.

I have no doubt the test of time will show that there wasn't demand for the Garrarus type development. Ironically across the bay there is plans for another exclusive resort involving the refurbishment of Corballymore House at Summerville near the Saleens. It included a hotel, new two-storey restaurant, single-storey spa facility, a conference centre/function room with separate leisure centre facility, 26 two-bedroom hotel lodges, 37 holiday homes, four holiday gate lodges, 21 large permanent dwellings, a stand-alone staff accommodation building.

Here is a plan
    corballymore.jpg

I understand planning permission was granted but there have been no updates. Does anyone know what happened to this?

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/council-seek-more-detail-on-corballymore-house-plans/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I did not agree with the Gararrus proposal, but for some reason that I can't quite work out I am not so against the Saleens idea. It seems like a much less obtrusive place for a development. I am not convinced that it will be successful, but I think it could be good for the area without affecting the coastline.

looksee wrote: »
    I did not agree with the Gararrus proposal, but for some reason that I can't quite work out I am not so against the Saleens idea. It seems like a much less obtrusive place for a development. I am not convinced that it will be successful, but I think it could be good for the area without affecting the coastline.

Regardless of the unobtrusiveness (which is debatable), there has to be demand. Apparently in 2011 there was an over-supply of 10,000 hotel rooms in the sector nationally.

Corbally house is a fine period building, well worth of restoration. The beauty of it is that its completely hidden by the copse of trees surrounding it. I don't see any new woods planned on the masterplan to hide these new building.

Here it is, hidden in the trees. A lot of people would not be even aware of its existence.

2221.jpg
    http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/img/im/2221.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its a terrible shame it has been stripped out the way it has, I would love to see it restored, and the only way that is going to happen is if there is a development.

Well yes, its unobtrusive because it is hidden in the trees. Not sure how many people will be drowned trying to swim there though!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I think its a terrible shame it has been stripped out the way it has, I would love to see it restored, and the only way that is going to happen is if there is a development.

Well yes, its unobtrusive because it is hidden in the trees. Not sure how many people will be drowned trying to swim there though!

Its hidden from the road and the other parts of the headland but it has a wonderful view of the Backstrand and Tramore. Thats what matters. It could be restored and used for a hotel without the 50 odd holiday homes. It could be a lot more classy and exclusive if kept on its own.

I agree though, a private beach there would not be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭buttonteaser

robp wrote: »
    Apologise for dragging up this thread.

I have no doubt the test of time will show that there wasn't demand for the Garrarus type development. Ironically across the bay there is plans for another exclusive resort involving the refurbishment of Corballymore House at Summerville near the Saleens. It included a hotel, new two-storey restaurant, single-storey spa facility, a conference centre/function room with separate leisure centre facility, 26 two-bedroom hotel lodges, 37 holiday homes, four holiday gate lodges, 21 large permanent dwellings, a stand-alone staff accommodation building.

Here is a plan
    corballymore.jpg

I understand planning permission was granted but there have been no updates. Does anyone know what happened to this?

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/council-seek-more-detail-on-corballymore-house-plans/

its after being turned into an airsoft site. check it out.

http://www.whiskeydelta.net/

Advertisement