Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car driving on walking trail at nine stones

• 17-02-2008 7:05pm

Just back from a stroll at the Nine Stones, - thought I was seeing things but NO. Someone was driving a car up the grassy path where people walk to the cairn at Tomduff (opposite the roadway up to the mast.) Not some fool in a souped-up banger either, - an actual family car type (obviously 4 wheel drive). Did anyone else see this, or does anyone know why on earth anyone in their right mind would do this? Bad enough that scramblers use the path to spoil a family walk area, but the mind boggles as to why a car would be driven up the trail. The entry from the little car park is railed off so they must have driven onto the grass somewhere below the car park where there is no fence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

inthehat wrote: »
    Just back from a stroll at the Nine Stones, - thought I was seeing things but NO. Someone was driving a car up the grassy path where people walk to the cairn at Tomduff (opposite the roadway up to the mast.) Not some fool in a souped-up banger either, - an actual family car type (obviously 4 wheel drive). Did anyone else see this, or does anyone know why on earth anyone in their right mind would do this? Bad enough that scramblers use the path to spoil a family walk area, but the mind boggles as to why a car would be driven up the trail. The entry from the little car park is railed off so they must have driven onto the grass somewhere below the car park where there is no fence.
    I know i seen this last week. It is a joke. My homeplace is only a mile from the 9 stones and this type of sh** sickens me. Ass****s are destroying our local area. I know the Boy Racers get alot of abuse for what does be going on up at the nine stones and to be honest they do deserve some of the blame but families and their cars are everybit as bad. I was up there only about a week ago on a sunday for a walk around and right in front of me there was a family car parked and the mother in the passenger seat of the car was throwing nearly half a bin sack of rubbish out her window of the car. It sickens me. Do these people know they are destroying our local area. I have seen cars try to drive up that grassy walkway too, (and these were cars not 4x4's). That walkway is a pedestrian walkway only and thats why the fence is there. Pure ignorance and laziness wills people on to drive up it. To drive up that grassy path is unbelievably dangerous. That part of the mountain will not sustain cars and jeeps driving up it and will fall asunder should it continue.This could be fatal someday!:O If the mountain does suffer and fall asunder it will ruin the scenery. These people are morons.

Sorry to stray off the issue, but the litter up there at times is atrocious.

yea Stickdan, - I can see your point on the rubbish too. The woods around there are used on Sundays to dump sacks of household waste which would only cost a couple of euro to tag for the council collection. Some people throng to these lovely scenic spots for their Sunday afternoon outing and pollute the area with noise, litter, and dog pooh. They speed on the narrow country roads and have no regard for locals or other visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Thank you innthehat.

A slow drive along the road below curby gap at the entrance to the nine stones road would show you that there are numerous cars dumped at the forest. I was once up there bout a month ago also and saw a washing machine thrown into the ditch. Such people that destroy my local scenic area are heartless. Such picturesque places are hard to come by nowdays what with urbanization destroying the green areas.It is ok for the sunday litterbugs that take a trip deposit their litter and don't have to look at it again but this litter flies all over the surrounding areas onto local farmlands and can be a real hazard to the animal life in the farmlands and in the wild. It is very disheartening to see your locality littered as it seems that these non locals and a small portion of locals unfortunately do not have enough pride in their countryside and in the locals case home to not litter and preserve our natural beauty.

I know there is very little we can do to prevent the countryside being littered as it is impossible to monitor the whole of mount Leinster at once and to date i am not aware of any authority that is currently patrolling the area. Maybe there should be some sort of authority in charge of this. Councilor White receives a lot of stick regarding her campaigns to clean up mount Leinster BUT at least she shows an honest determination to keep the area clean. I for one Applaud her not necessarily who she blames as i think the boy racers are not totally to blame, the Sunday litterbugs are equally to blame, but i do appreciate her efforts.

Advertisement