Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw

Options
  • 17-02-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Are you a fanatic of BMWs or you dont get the ''hype'' of the?

Seems the board is divided on this ''Bmw fans Vs Everyone else''
    Not saying that BMW drivers wouldnt drive anthing less!

The only one i ever really liked was the old E34 for some reason i liked the look of them, hopefully one day i own one.

So whats you?

-VB-

BMW Fan? 72 votes

Yes, they are ''The Ultimate Driving Machine''
    0%
    Nice but dont see what the fuss is about
    51%
    LuciferjhegartyCyruscommitedDaveDPacificooptiplexgx270PlugjamiehCurranslumpedNiall1234Fey!TheBazmanwallyworldnc6000reverandkenjamifabsoulJoeySullyAvns1s 37 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    48%
    StephenednwirelandballoobaGuy:Incognitovengeance52leahcimJHMEGGurglebennycjayokRedorDeadbazz26maidhcdingdingdogg_r_69VolvoboybikoR Palmercantdecideninty9er 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What BMW? They make models to fit all three of your categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Atari Jaguar
    I like BMWs but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I don't drive one but I wouldn't be disappointed if I did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Atari Jaguar
    No current or aspiring owner is going to say anything other than they're super (to do otherwise would be admitting to a very large mistake), so the survey is really a count of the number of owners + aspiring owners vs everyone else.

I might be wrong tho... did any BMW owner, real or aspiring, vote either of the 2nd two options?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I like mine, but there are some I've driven and would never care to do so again.

The same applies to Hondas (I've owned 2 and driven several others), Peugeots, Kias, Fiats, Toyotas, Renaults, Mazdas, Audis, VWs....the list goes on and on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Hmm. Ive an old E36, and love it but the ultimate driving machine? Perhaps for some models along with a rake of other models from other manufacturers. Im confident I could have as much fun in an Elise, Mondeo Mark 2,Integra, Mrk 5 gti, 911 etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Udm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Atari Jaguar
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I might be wrong tho... did any BMW owner, real or aspiring, vote either of the 2nd two options?

I did. I am an owner of a E46 325 - nice car, but like that I don't see what the fuss is about. Certainly the BMW has some differentiating features from the competition, but then the competition has some differing features also.

The family wagon is a CRV and I have to say it is brilliant for dragging stuff around the equilavent X3 (or whatever) wouldn't be worth it in my mind.

BMW have nothing to compare for style against say a Alfa or 2 litre lunacy of an S2000, equally Alfa and Honda have nothing for the M5. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Atari Jaguar
    jayok wrote: »
    I did.
    Would you have if I hadn't challenged you to? Or was the 325 a mistake, and you really should have gotten an R34 GTR?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Atari Jaguar
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Would you have if I hadn't challenged you to? Or was the 325 a mistake, and you really should have gotten an R34 GTR?:D

I'd picked the poll before I'd seen your response - but yeah should have gotten the R34!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Im a huge fan my Cars i have owned are

1995 Bmw 316i Se = first car so i loved it even though it was really slow
    1999 Bmw 318is = Decent power good looks
    2001 Audi A6 2.4 V6 = Quick but i hated it handled like a pig
    2004 Bmw 320d ES = Serious power all torque loved it but hated sound
    2006 Bmw 330i SE = 272Bhp my favourite car , best car i have ever driven

Bhp of Each = 102 - 140 - 170 - 183 (Chipped) - 272 Stock :D

In summary i love bmw's and i doubt i will change from them ever again great power sweet straight 6 engines great handling serious comfort :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I thought it was all HYPE - not a big fan of some of the designs of the cars but i loved the look of the E39 ever since it came out! Bought an old one, 9 months ago and im over the moon with it - understand the hype now!!
    Will I drive BMWs for the rest of my driving days???....perhaps - next car will be a BMW and will continue to buy them until im not impressed anymore!
    She even wants a BMW as her next car! ;)
    The E30 325i Sport is on my list, as is the M5 (in a few years :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've owned two large V8 petrol engined older BMW saloons over the last eight years. They proved to be excellent cars. No other car in the same class can match the drive. Cheap to buy, cheap to run. Very reliable. And all that for the same total cost of ownership of a slightly newer Corolla or Golf or the like. I've been a very happy owner

I did not vote in the poll though. There's no hype. A 316i 1.6l is obviously not an "ultimate driving machine" :rolleyes:

BMW is not about small engines. That area is best left to others like the Japanese and the Italians. Considering big engines, just have a look at who has won best engine of the year over the past decade. The domination of BMW is something else...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've never felt 'at home' in a BM. The gear stick is too high, the pedals are wrong and they're too heavy to go round corners.
    I've only had limited experience in them - 316i, 320S6, 325i, M3.
    Z3 was a bit of fun - except when it rained.
    Hard to beat the Japanese IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Atari Jaguar
    Don't see the what the hype is all about. Might get one one day but probably won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"Atari Jaguar" is this another make of car :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I respect BMW and the fact that they are (for the most part) expensivelly engineered with RWD, near-perfect weight distribution and fantastic engines. This is in contrast to Audis for example, the smaller versions of which are...eh...somwhat 'cynically' engineered. Pound-for-pound BMW make the best cars in the world - FACT (apart from the X3 and a few other pups)...

They are difficult to love though. Leaving logic aside an Alfa is a far more attractive car for example (IMO).

Don't like the Banglised designs or run-flat tyres though. I prefer the previous generation of Bimmers...

Also, the fact that so many badge-snobs buy them kinda puts me off. Show me someone who buys a 316/318/X3 and I'll show you a pathetic label-conscious tool...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

stevec wrote: »
    they're too heavy to go round corners.

:confused:

I want a '05 911. That's not a BMW but I own one at the moment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im on my 3rd

first was a 00 e46 323ci, then a 01 e39 530i sport and currently a 02 e46 m3

i have loved them all, each one more than the other!

there arent many other car marques that have a number of models i like, there are a few cars at the moment id like when depreciation bites, merc c63, new nissan gtr, any 911 from the past 10 years, but ill go for a 335i next i think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They do make some great four seater sports cars (anything with a resonably big engine)

Unfortunately, if you try and buy into the hype on a limited budget and get an entry level model, you will be disappointed, as the engines are just too sluggish and the car is too cramped and too expensive for what it offers (especially when compared to the cheaper competition).

But it's the buyers of those compromised entry level models that make the great cars possible. (BMW needs to sell bread&butter volume to afford making the really great cars)

That approach I find a bit cynical ...build great cars for the few that can afford them and finance them by selling the myth in a compromised, overpriced, overhyped fairly ordinary car to those who can't.

Hats off to their marketing department, though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Atari Jaguar
    Had 2 older ones. They're good enough but not the ultimate. Theyre mroe of an ultimate 'ordinary' car.

I like to think of the 3s as being a Mondeo with all the right appointments and engineering. Unjustifiably overpriced due to VRT here but a top spec 6 cylindered one isn't a bad place to put yer ar*e if you're after a sub €15k used car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement