Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is winter gone?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Dunno, did you waste it on something?

It still feels wintry, that is, cold & crisp etc, rather than warm & damp, which is actually winter though we do try to ignore that fact,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

-6C last night and same tonight,

Winter is certainly still with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It seems like yesterday when the first week of Winter(december) herald the beginning of the end when cold zonal was dominating only to give way to some quite low temps around the country when HP dominated later on.

It has been interesting for some this winter as for me as i traveled a bit to see temp variances in close proximity to me as well as deep enough snow not far from here too. When not traveling, it was good to read some posters on here commenting on there extremes even very recently. Winter is far from gone and the first tentative signs of another early March northerly has appeared.

My lowest temps this decade was 03/03/06 at -3.4C over a three sub zero night peroid.So winter can sure bite back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I doubt winter is over, so far this winter has been a major kick in the teeth for most people but there has been some great extremes this winter which has made it much more interesting than the past few winters such as 16C days, -6C nights and an easterly wind lasting a few hours, dumping 6 inchs of snow in the Northeast, then a failed cold snep which brought snow mainly to Cork and Kerry of all places. We still got another 4 to 5 weeks of potential winter weather before we make the change towards summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

tracy1002 wrote: »
    ??

No Winter is far from over. You will find out in the next 2 weeks;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What's winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

do you mean in terms of snowfall? if so i think not. it's just a shame the days in march get longer and the sun is stronger because i fully expect March to play a trick on the people who are enjoying the relatively mild day time temperatures over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

whatever about winter gone or not gone in Ireland, it is definitely not over in Greece. Just saw that Athens got 4-6 inches of snow in the last day. This appears to be about the 3rd year in a row they got dumped with heavy snow that was previously considered extremely rare in Southern parts of Greece. What we would give for this!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mheysneycwoj/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its much easier for Greece to get a proper snow blast then Ireland because Greece is in the firing line from all the northern plunges that regularly effects eastern europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

plus the cold air passes over the warmish aegean sea picking up loads of moisture! Yesterday many stations in Greece reported thunder-snow! Well anyway Ireland is placed better than Rome, here it hasn't snowed seriously (more than an inch) since 1986!!!!! (and I wasn't even born then) What Ireland needs now is a nice Easterly blast:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Definitely not over.
    Bit of growth there but its still very cold.
    Worst winter I can ever recall ,have played 2 games of golf in 4 months.
    Either too wet and windy or too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If -4.8°C in the morning with frost staying in the shade all day isnt winter I dunno what is!!
    That said its brilliant to have the light in the mornings and evenings again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's just a desperate sign of how bad things have become that in the entire month of February we are likely not to even muster a wintry shower.

I have lived through few winters, but even the winters of the late 90's seem like nirvana, with this winter ending without even a whimper i really fear that we have indeed seen the last of winter on these shores.

There has been an astonishing and progressive warming, and i really doubt that we will see a severe winter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

It's just a desperate sign of how bad things have become that in the entire month of February we are likely not to even muster a wintry shower.

I have lived through few winters, but even the winters of the late 90's seem like nirvana, with this winter ending without even a whimper i really fear that we have indeed seen the last of winter on these shores.

There has been an astonishing and progressive warming, and i really doubt that we will see a severe winter again.

I think an astonishing and progressive cooling is just beginning though;). If the warming continues over the next few years though then yes, the odds of a severe winter will continue to shorten.

With all due respect.
    The Northern hemisphere has had it's snowiest winter this year on record.
    I read that over on TWO somewhere.
    Europe has had a warm anomoly amidst that.

Snowiest on record does not equal astonishing and progressive warming.
    There were decades in the 20th century that were relatively snow less too.

It's quite common actually for our normal climate to prevail even when the rest of Europe freezes.
    If I was living in southern scandinavia or the baltic states,I'd be complaining alright-for they have had an unusually warm winter.
    We've just had a somewhat usual one.

To suggest otherwise is rubbish.
    Mind you ,if you want to see more snow,just do what longfield did and move to higher ground.
    There are plenty houses in south wicklow or north wexford for instance at 800 to 1200ft-ideal for occasional heavy snow falls and an hours commute from Dublin (if you leave at 820 and don't have to be in untill 930).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With all due respect.
    The Northern hemisphere has had it's snowiest winter this year on record.
    I read that over on TWO somewhere.
    Europe has had a warm anomoly amidst that.

Snowiest on record does not equal astonishing and progressive warming.
    There were decades in the 20th century that were relatively snow less too.

It's quite common actually for our normal climate to prevail even when the rest of Europe freezes.
    If I was living in southern scandinavia or the baltic states,I'd be complaining alright-for they have had an unusually warm winter.
    We've just had a somewhat usual one.

To suggest otherwise is rubbish.
    Mind you ,if you want to see more snow,just do what longfield did and move to higher ground.
    There are plenty houses in south wicklow or north wexford for instance at 800 to 1200ft-ideal for occasional heavy snow falls and an hours commute from Dublin (if you leave at 820 and don't have to be in untill 930).

To be honest i totally disagree with you, the fact that there is more snow at higher latitudes can only illustrate that the earth is warming surely? More mild air, more moisture = more snow.

The fact is this winter as have the last 10-15 is ridiculously mild, to call a winter with such an anomaly "usual" is perhaps a perfect illustration of the sheer scale of the crisis we are facing.

The reason we find ourselves so deep in this crisis is with no insult to you because People like you who neglect to see what is so blatantly obvious.

I am not bitter over the fact i have not seen a decent snowfall in a long time, i am genuinely concerned that we all will see very little if any snow on this landmass again and that our climate is warming drastically due to US!

I have come to a realisation in recent months of the true severity of the situation we are in.

I wondered myself about the reports of record NH snow being simply due to a warmer and therefore more moist air mass. Does anyone know if the temperature anomalies for the NH in the last few months are significantly positive or negative?

One thing is for sure, its been a brutal winter snow wise here. Though I have had more snow days than last year, they have all been pretty pathetic events.

Anyone want to club together and buy this gaff and do it up as a winter retreat?(or just loan me the dosh!) , I reckon its in as good a location for snow as it gets anywhere on the east coast, not that that meant much this year mind you!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Ah your in a suitable location yourself Longfield, its just a non event this year(so far) throughout the middle east and SE areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Longfield wrote: »
    I wondered myself about the reports of record NH snow being simply due to a warmer and therefore more moist air mass. Does anyone know if the temperature anomalies for the NH in the last few months are significantly positive or negative?

One thing is for sure, its been a brutal winter snow wise here. Though I have had more snow days than last year, they have all been pretty pathetic events.

Anyone want to club together and buy this gaff and do it up as a winter retreat?(or just loan me the dosh!) , I reckon its in as good a location for snow as it gets anywhere on the east coast, not that that meant much this year mind you!

It looks in bits. The house artictree posted about looks better. :D

Hal1 wrote: »
    It looks in bits. The house artictree posted about looks better. :D

The house can be done up, its proximity to the mountains cannot though!

It is noticeably more snowy closer to the mountains you get, elevation isnt enough on its own ya know. For example a few weeks ago the Roundwood to Kilmancogue road was impassable whereas I had a very light dusting and Arctictree had nothing. Its just wetter living right on the slopes = more snow! (and fog, rain etc..but as a weather nut that's a plus to me :D).

Another example would be just down the road from me in Laragh where it can be wet all day yet here its just light drizzle and bone dry or sunny in Ashford, believe me I have driven all around the northern Wicklow mountains most weekends , especially wet ones just figuring out local variations, yes I am that obsessed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

To be honest i totally disagree with you, the fact that there is more snow at higher latitudes can only illustrate that the earth is warming surely? More mild air, more moisture = more snow.

That could well be the case but I don't think that it's so.
    http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2008/jan/jan08.html
    This is just January but 31st warmest doesn't scream very warm anomaly to me. A lot of the Northern Hemisphere apart from most of Europe has had a very cold and snowy winter which is what has given the large NH snowfall anomaly and as said above a positive snowfall anomaly does not mean it has been colder but i doesn't mean warmer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote: »

You sure? Snowwise its been dreadful here. I can only recall 3 times that I have seen snow falling this year, and they were very brief. Although I think we have been very close on a couple of occasions - all the right conditions but the showers didn't get here. February has been a bit of a write off.

9c ATM - not expecting any snow tonight!!

A

Only three, are you sure?
    I haven't noted down the dates but I've had 9 days here with snow falling this winter so far, think it was seven or eight last year, though we had two semi decent snow events last year and none this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is winter gone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Gone for lunch, bbl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So was today the last chance this winter of snow ever happening in Dubland which fizzled out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Not nessacarily - It can snow in April under the right conditions but given the Winter this year Id say it probrably is the last snow we will see till next year. It has been a snowless winter by and large except for the 10 inches of snow in North Leinster and Ulster at the beginning of January. Thoughout November, December, January and Febuary there has only been 3 shots at snowy weather in Ireland.

We did do better then England and Wales though - many of them have not seen a single flake at all this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

March can produce decent snow, but the lying of snow gets more and more unlikely as we go towards months end due to sun strength.

Typically St Patricks Day is the end of lying snow season in Ireland - as per the elderly.

Advertisement