Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it socialy acceptable for women to cross their legs and not men?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

As a boy I was always told that I shouldn't cross my legs....as it wasn't something that boys do...I was a boy and I was doing it naturaly. Yet women do it all the time..it's social etiquette for women... Is it something purely innately female or do men generaly abstain simply because they are frowned upon?. I like crossing my legs...and no vericus veins despite warnings!

Curious
    A

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I was never aware. One bloke did remark to me that it increased the chances of... bit squishing.

Edit: in fact, I was always told ladies DO NOT cross their legs, they sit knees together, never cross legged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Its news to me that its not socially acceptable.... I always thought it was for comfort reasons (in case anything got squashed)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Crossing the legs simply indicates that you have nothing down there to sqwish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I cross my legs. I find it comfortable. No squashing issues either.:rolleyes: Men used to do it judging by old movies and photos. It's a fashion thing I suspect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Judging by the amount of crossed legs (male) I tripped over today in Starbucks while navigating my way to a table with my venti latte, I'd say its perfectly socially acceptable for all to cross their legs.

I'd prefer if it wasn't.

*nurses 3rd degree burns on right hand*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

just tried it, ...ow that hurt, but i suppose my jeans are a bit tight,
    always cross my ankles tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive never crossed my legs .. too uncomfortable.. ie.. my knees dont touch when i stand up.. even if i tried..

Okay, I don't see this thread really going anywhere.

There is no real social issue with men crossing their legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement