Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I Mad....Brera?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Ok, Im currently driving a 04 honda accord 2.2i-CTDI exec which is my pride and joy. I love it, its comfy for me, plenty of leg room for me and people behind me. Good MPG and fun to drive.

But after taking a spin in my mates 3.2 Brera ive been very interested in getting one, so im currently looking at a 2.4JTD (See here).

I know the MPG is gonna be lower, service cost is about €200 for a normal service and no one is gettin in the back of it, so im wondering if its worth changing over to one. I aint got kids so no worries there so what would be the pros and cons of gettin one.

Specs on my current accord

Specs on the Brera

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it was me I would hold onto the Accord for another 2 years and then pick up a post July 2008 model. It's going to cost I'd say 20k plus to change from your current car to this right now, I wouldn't see that as worth it seeing as you are happy with your current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The Brera is about more than numbers, get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

well im happy with the accord but i get itchy feet and feel like a change. One thing i love is the sound of the 2.4JTD engine. Sounds sweet for a diesel, but the bad thing is ya better love the sound cos unless you get the bose stereo, the standard one is crap, thats one thing my mate mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Have you daydreamed about the colour yet? Red or black but has to have tan leather :D (IMHO...:))

I have a similar debate with myself from time-to-time about the 159 JTDm. It would be hypocritical of me to advise the Alfa when I haven't taken the plunge myself. Main problem with the Brera AFAIK is excess weight - badly effects performance, handling, CO2 and economy.

Seeing as they've made a dogs dinner of the next Accord though it might be timely to change marque. At the end of the day you only live once. I love to see boardies succumb to the charms of Alfa instead of yet another boring A3/A4/3-series geek-mobile...

pburns wrote: »
    Have you daydreamed about the colour yet? Red or black but has to have tan leather :D (IMHO...:))

I have a similar debate with myself from time-to-time about the 159 JTDm. It would be hypocritical of me to advise the Alfa when I haven't taken the plunge myself. Main problem with the Brera AFAIK is excess weight - badly effects performance, handling, CO2 and economy.

Seeing as they've made a dogs dinner of the next Accord though it might be timely to change marque. At the end of the day you only live once. I love to see boardies succumb to the charms of Alfa instead of yet another boring A3/A4/3-series geek-mobile...

Well i think the blue one is very tasty like this one Yea its a bit heavy but the handling is fantastic in them, and the 3.2 i drove was an absoulte dream. i know i wont have the same power but with the 2.4, but i hope the weight wont be a big issue. Plus im living in NI at the mo so tax should be about £165 for the year. :D

318035-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I would totally go for a brera.They are a car that you'll love every drive in.It is definately the nicest looking new car south of 60 grand..I also think that the days of alfa's being terribly unreliable is gone forever.BTW i'd get the alloys that are on this one..

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=658102

another thing i like is that there wont be many other brera's in the car park in work :) id love to see my mates face's in work if i pulled up in one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have a read of what is said on www.alfaowner.co.uk - a tremendous resource.

There is a Brera GTA coming out that looks great IMHO, but will cost far too much to buy and run here in Ireland.

I have just bought a 1.9 GT JTD and am delighted with the engine (I haven't had a diesel before). I previously had a 147 (petrol) and had no serious problems with it (other than a faulty stalk for the side/parking lights)-I love Alfas and can't ever see myself buying anything else. They are not for the faint hearted though!

FWIW, finding a used GT with a Bose stereo was next to impossible. Both Alfas I have owned have had the standard Blaupunkt stereo and I have been happy enough with it-if you find one with Bose, go for it, but I wouldn't list it as a must have. Re. the sound, I wonder is that as much to do with 'wheel/tyre roar; as opposed to the engine?

I imported my GT and would advise looking in the UK as there is just so much more choice in Alfas over there.

All the best!

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I imported my GT and would advise looking in the UK as there is just so much more choice in Alfas over there.

Im living in NI at the mo so thats where id be sourcing the car. The stereo isnt a main concern, but it would be the icing on the cake. After driving my mates brera i fell in love with it. even took pics of his engine :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lovely car - go for it if you can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Not mad at all - go for the Brera - my only experience of Alfa was a 156 I had from '99 to '02 and I loved every minute of it - was lucky in that I never had any Alfa troubles - except the resale value - but what the hell go for it you can always buy another boring Honda anytime ...

well cos im living in NI and wont be takin it up the ass from bertie, i should be able to pick one up for 17-19k sterling. tax is 165 per year, so the money i save can go on fuel and tyres. im extremely tempted but not much choice at the mo, so may wait a few months before pickin one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

....and if you don't think the Brera is practical enough, why not go for a 159-very similar from the front, and there is a sweet Ti version.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

agree 159 is a sweet machine - practical too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Forget all the naysayers and dont worry about the resale value - get it! why not, lovely looking car (although not too keen about the alloys) and supposedly great to drive. If you can afford the running costs of a decent petrol engine, go for it. Thinking of a 159 myself for the next car - not worried about reliability considering my vw has plenty of foibles and is still considered "solid":confused:

was actually lookin at a 159 as well
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/243619.htm

I was looking at the Brera more as ive always has a saloon car and wanted a coupe or hatchback for a change. but my arm is easily twisted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

think I would go for a brera, except I need the 4 doors. Dont think the brera comes in an oil burner variant - if that makes a difference? If I had no worries about running cost, big petrol brera all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ok, Im currently driving a 04 honda accord 2.2i-CTDI exec which is my pride and joy. I love it, its comfy for me, plenty of leg room for me and people behind me. Good MPG and fun to drive.

But after taking a spin in my mates 3.2 Brera ive been very interested in getting one, so im currently looking at a 2.4JTD (See here).

I know the MPG is gonna be lower, service cost is about €200 for a normal service and no one is gettin in the back of it, so im wondering if its worth changing over to one. I aint got kids so no worries there so what would be the pros and cons of gettin one.

Specs on my current accord

Specs on the Brera

Stop your messin and get a 2.4 6 speed or a euro R!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Volvoboy wrote: »

-VB-
    Or a DC5 ITR. Brera size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

another thing i like is that there wont be many other brera's in the car park in work :) id love to see my mates face's in work if i pulled up in one

Not the best motivation for spending €40k+ on a car...

I've seen a few Brera's around Europe & I've been disappointed with their looks.
    The back end really lets them down imo, quite bulbous and odd looking.
    I'd go for a 159, looks even better than the Brera.

I'd be far more interested in one of those beauties - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=810624.
    They've aged fantastically, look better now than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

get it get it get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

RichyX wrote: »

I'd be far more interested in one of those beauties - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=810624.

i'd be interested in getting one of those from england in a year or so but looks like they are Band F on emissions. Tax goes up to 1000 from 600 or whatever it is. So much for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I've seen a few Brera's around Europe & I've been disappointed with their looks.

I thought it was just me!

Yeah, personally I think the 159 is better looking.

As a coupe I actually think the GT is nicer but as it's based on the 147(?) it seems a bit more 'old school' Alfa. Certainly the interior is not as nice as 159/Brera...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The GT is based on the 156 chassis with the same interior as the 147. Read on a review somewhere the wheelbase is exactly the same on the GT and the 156

Just purchased a '06 GT waiting to pick it up am really really excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

endplate wrote: »
    Just purchased a '06 GT waiting to pick it up am really really excited

Nice, those are sweet little coupe's.

Used to pass by a lovely light blue one each day on the way to college.
    It was only when it drove past me one evening that I realized it was a diesel!

Looks great but deffo one of the most UNreliable cars EVER

Volvoboy wrote: »
    -VB-

when im young and no major bills i wanna try as many diff cars as i can, hence why im changing from the accord. Ive never owned the same car twice and until i either find perfection with one car, or the girlfriend wrecks my head, i wanna try as many tasty machines as i can.

I love the looks of the Brera, i think its stunning from all around and as long as i like it, thats what matters. ;) the 159 is still in the running but if i have the dosh, id prob go for a brera first (then maybe the 159 :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Looks great but deffo one of the most UNreliable cars EVER

Source?

prospect wrote: »
    Source?

Its an alfa from the mid nineties!!!!!I know you're an alfa fan but surely you'll even admit its not a corolla for reliablity.MUCH more interesting though.Well maybe its not one of the MOST unreliable cars ever like i said but i deffo remember seeing pretty near the bottom of reliability surveys a few years back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its an alfa from the mid nineties!!!!!

My Apologies, I thought your statement was in reference to the Brera.

Advertisement