Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I Mad....Brera?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Have a read of what is said on www.alfaowner.co.uk - a tremendous resource.

There is a Brera GTA coming out that looks great IMHO, but will cost far too much to buy and run here in Ireland.

I have just bought a 1.9 GT JTD and am delighted with the engine (I haven't had a diesel before). I previously had a 147 (petrol) and had no serious problems with it (other than a faulty stalk for the side/parking lights)-I love Alfas and can't ever see myself buying anything else. They are not for the faint hearted though!

FWIW, finding a used GT with a Bose stereo was next to impossible. Both Alfas I have owned have had the standard Blaupunkt stereo and I have been happy enough with it-if you find one with Bose, go for it, but I wouldn't list it as a must have. Re. the sound, I wonder is that as much to do with 'wheel/tyre roar; as opposed to the engine?

I imported my GT and would advise looking in the UK as there is just so much more choice in Alfas over there.

All the best!

Redsoxfan, I just picked up a '07 GT Monza 1.9JTDm over here with the Bose system and have to say it is a superb sound system. The stereo sounds good too.

Wouldn't mind getting to see some pics of your GT. What did you get in the end?

As to the OP, go for the Brera. I'd have had one but too much for me but if you can afford one, then go for it. The GT is a super car for the money and probably a bit more practical than the Brera, but who cares about practicality when you have a car as good looking as the Brera

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its an alfa from the mid nineties!!!!!I know you're an alfa fan but surely you'll even admit its not a corolla for reliablity.MUCH more interesting though.Well maybe its not one of the MOST unreliable cars ever like i said but i deffo remember seeing pretty near the bottom of reliability surveys a few years back

Nicer, and cheaper.... http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=41770&cat=2

btw, I had an '80's Alfa, supposedly awful - quite apart from the broken indicator switch, I drove the nuts of it for 2+ yrs and it never missed a heartbeat.

Giulietta 1.8, btw........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

OP, yes you are mad. But sure why not? You only live once. I would have a Brera in the morning if I could. Stunning car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Redsoxfan, I just picked up a '07 GT Monza 1.9JTDm over here with the Bose system and have to say it is a superb sound system. The stereo sounds good too.

I know the car you bought and am not surprised that it has BOSE. That fella has had some quality cars! Btw, I wasn't knocking BOSE at all, I just found it hard to find one and regardless of the sound quality, I didn't feel that it was worth holding out for...but would have liked it. I don't even have a cd changer or MP3 headunit!
    Lex Luther wrote:
    Wouldn't mind getting to see some pics of your GT. What did you get in the end?

2004 1.9JTD Brunello Rosso (I was surprised that I went with that colour over say, Black, Red, or some variant of Grey, but combined with the tan leather, it looks great), pics on www.alfaowner.com and will be on www.alfaireland.ie when I have enough for an album. Bought in Kent.

Glad you found a buyer for your 156 btw. I sold my 147 within a week, but did drop the price at the drop of a hat (need to pay VRT...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I know the car you bought and am not surprised that it has BOSE. That fella has had some quality cars! Btw, I wasn't knocking BOSE at all, I just found it hard to find one and regardless of the sound quality, I didn't feel that it was worth holding out for...but would have liked it. I don't even have a cd changer or MP3 headunit!

2004 1.9JTD Brunello Rosso (I was surprised that I went with that colour over say, Black, Red, or some variant of Grey, but combined with the tan leather, it looks great), pics on www.alfaowner.com and will be on www.alfaireland.ie when I have enough for an album. Bought in Kent.

Glad you found a buyer for your 156 btw. I sold my 147 within a week, but did drop the price at the drop of a hat (need to pay VRT...)

Thanks Redsox! :)

I was devastated to see it go at the weekend, the BMW I'm driving for the moment is just so, erm, well I dunno, it's just not my Alfa. It just gets me from A to B - nothing more I can say about it really :(

Anyway, good luck to you and to Lex and the new GT's - they are a super car :cool:

To the OP, do it - you wont regret it!

• Advertisement

ciarsd wrote: »
    I was devastated to see it go at the weekend, the BMW I'm driving for the moment is just so, erm, well I dunno, it's just not my Alfa. It just gets me from A to B - nothing more I can say about it really :(

:eek:

No new Alfa?

Please tell me:

(a) you are getting a GT Blackline
    (b) you are waiting for them to bring out the 169; or
    (c) you have an 8C ordered ;)
    ciarsd wrote:
    Anyway, good luck to you and to Lex and the new GT's - they are a super car :cool:

Cheers. So far I am delighted. Bringing it to Gerry Campbell tomorrow-1 or 2 things I didn't trust the seller to fix. But nearly 600 miles of wonderful driving done so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I just picked up a '07 GT Monza 1.9JTDm

Nice one! Well wear! :)

unkel wrote: »
    Nice one! Well wear! :)

Rub it in why dont you unkel :(

:eek:

No new Alfa?

Please tell me:

(a) you are getting a GT Blackline
    (b) you are waiting for them to bring out the 169; or
    (c) you have an 8C ordered ;)

Nothing as of yet - the BMW I'm driving is loaned from a friend of mine until I get sorted out and make some decisions.

a) the Monza was a 'Blackline' - just wasn't black & I managed a non-standard interior with the black/red leather combo ;) Lex will fill ya in! :)
    b) too grown up for me
    c) well I've done the lotto for the next 2 draws...

C.

• Advertisement

the BMW I'm driving for the moment is just so, erm, well I dunno, it's just not my Alfa.
    at least you can have some rear wheel fun for a few months...just don't tell your mate
    I have to say Ciaran, the car is much more than I was expecting. To be honest yours was the first GT I really had a good poke around and at the time I was going to hold off for a few months, but after that first drive, I knew I had to get one. Sorry it had to be yours but I know you'll have one again soon.

a) the Monza was a 'Blackline' - just wasn't black & I managed a non-standard interior with the black/red leather combo ;) Lex will fill ya in! :).
    I thought the black/red was teh standard interior on the Monza? It is on the alfaromeo.ie site anyway. The UK Blackline has an all black interior.

c) well I've done the lotto for the next 2 draws...

C.

Haven't we all.

I have seen my old 156 this morning. I probably did a stupid thing and sell it to someone at work so now I have to look at it everyday. AT least I get to say hello once in a while. I could see a small tear from the headlamp as I drove past....she knows she has been dumped for a younger model which is hard for any woman to take

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Horray pick up my first alfa last night a '06 GT sportivo with the JTDM engine and the Bose sound system and so far what can I say but WOW the car feels great goes great so hopefully heres to many years happy motoring for me. To the Op do it you won't regret it

endplate wrote: »
    Horray pick up my first alfa last night a '06 GT sportivo with the JTDM engine and the Bose sound system and so far what can I say but WOW the car feels great goes great so hopefully heres to many years happy motoring for me. To the Op do it you won't regret it

well done endplate...

seems like there is a lot of GT diesels out on our roads now....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Well ive been lookin at a good few Brera's at the mo, and i can just about afford it, may have to push the boundries of my overdraft, but all i gotta do is show the bank manager a pic of the car, and im sure there should be no probs.

Gonna try and take a few for a test drive at the end of the month. :D

VRT will fall by 2% on the 2.4JTDM from July if you would think about going to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Ok, Im currently driving a 04 honda accord 2.2i-CTDI exec which is my pride and joy. I love it, its comfy for me, plenty of leg room for me and people behind me. Good MPG and fun to drive.

But after taking a spin in my mates 3.2 Brera ive been very interested in getting one, so im currently looking at a 2.4JTD (See here).

I know the MPG is gonna be lower, service cost is about €200 for a normal service and no one is gettin in the back of it, so im wondering if its worth changing over to one. I aint got kids so no worries there so what would be the pros and cons of gettin one.

Specs on my current accord

Specs on the Brera

MAD TED... talking bout going from extremes! you only have the accord a short time!!!!

going from ultra reliable ( Honda ) to ultra unreliable (:eek:Alpha) if you get the alpha make sure they throw in AA cover!!

im trying to hold on until july to buy a new motor , but its hard im tempted to go in next week and buy a new one anyways.......

was considering

a new S60 D5... or the new xc70 or even an a6.. i just dont know what to buy....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

what_car wrote: »
    MAD TED... talking bout going from extremes! you only have the accord a short time!!!!

going from ultra reliable ( Honda ) to ultra unreliable (:eek:Alpha) if you get the alpha make sure they throw in AA cover!!

im trying to hold on until july to buy a new motor , but its hard im tempted to go in next week and buy a new one anyways.......

was considering

a new S60 D5... or the new xc70 or even an a6.. i just dont know what to buy....:confused:

Just curious, have you any personal experience of an unreliable Alfa Romeo? They are probably just as reliable if not more than the cars you mentioned at the end of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just curious, have you any personal experience of an unreliable Alfa Romeo? They are probably just as reliable if not more than the cars you mentioned at the end of your post.

NO do you?

both my neighbours have them one a 147 that has given electrical problems from time to time, and the other neighbour up the road had a saloon one that had serious gearbox problems. both newish cars.

from parkers.co.uk
    Engine/Gearbox: Engine damage; faulty clutch.
    Other: crashy suspension.
    Did you realise that 147 owners may have to fork out up to £2000 to repair engine damage induced by cambelt failure....
    etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

have owned 3 alfa's now, only minor problems same with any car i've driven. Going for 159 1.9 jtdm this week. Alfa's are about the drive, as was said earlier in the thread it's not about numbers. Any alfa driver will tell you that. My advice is just drive it, test drive in every garage you can and you'll see what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

what_car wrote: »
    NO do you?

both my neighbours have them one a 147 that has given electrical problems from time to time, and the other neighbour up the road had a saloon one that had serious gearbox problems. both newish cars.

from parkers.co.uk
    Engine/Gearbox: Engine damage; faulty clutch.
    Other: crashy suspension.
    Did you realise that 147 owners may have to fork out up to £2000 to repair engine damage induced by cambelt failure....
    etc etc....

Oh, get a life and try talking about something you actually understand. :rolleyes:

Next thing is you'll be preaching about how good 'BWM's' and 'Mercbenz Cedes' are by comparison....

• Advertisement

prospect wrote: »
    Oh, get a life and try talking about something you actually understand. :rolleyes:

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Honestjohn on whats bad with the 159; No standard spare. Only pump and spray, but wheel well can accommodate a full-size spare. One report that rattles develop by 25,000km.

On Brera: Very marginal 4-seater. 2.4JTDM a bit disappointing.

On GT Coupe: Feedback welcome.

On Spider: If something upsets the car, the combination of heavy weight at the front, light weight at the back, quick steering and the ESP/traction control system can develop into a pendulum effect.

Trouble with 147's yes, any of the cars launched in recent years seem to be completely problem free.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Tragedy wrote: »
    Honestjohn on whats bad with the 159; No standard spare. Only pump and spray, but wheel well can accommodate a full-size spare. One report that rattles develop by 25,000km.

On Brera: Very marginal 4-seater. 2.4JTDM a bit disappointing.

On GT Coupe: Feedback welcome.

On Spider: If something upsets the car, the combination of heavy weight at the front, light weight at the back, quick steering and the ESP/traction control system can develop into a pendulum effect.

Trouble with 147's yes, any of the cars launched in recent years seem to be completely problem free.

Yeah Honestjohn's viewer comments are really highlighting the problems Alfa's are having at the moment. One report that rattles develop after 25,000KM that's not exactly going to leave you stranded on the side of the road is it. I like the GT feedback out since '04 and still waiting for feedback.

Who has the comment on their profile that Alfa's are not about depreciation but are about appreciation I liked that one

Oh yeah I see it's Lex Luther

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Tragedy wrote: »

I don't really understand this comment. Does this mean it is the only trouble free car ever? or am I reading it wrong...

It means its an 8 year old car design at this stage and fairly well known for developing problems, any of the alfas developed and launched in the last four years rate rather highly for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The only thing that puts me off the 147 is the timing belt cost. I'm used to driving a Focus & it costs nothing in maintenance, so I begrudge having to maintain a car.

I was gonna get the 147 a couple of months ago, but have decided to hold on for the 149 - although I believe it will be closer in size to a 156...

Have you looked at the pics of what are apparently a clay mockup of it?

Not sure whether I love it or hate it, but its certainly memorable

ive looked in the reliability issues with the Brera from parkers, honestjohn etc and other sources and im fine with them. My mate has one for months now, and its running perfect so far, and the main prob he gets its smudges on the glass from people lookin in it when its parked in town. :D

taking another spin in my mates 3.2 brera this weekend, so can wait for that.

the main prob he gets its smudges on the glass from people lookin in it when its parked in town. :D

nicely put

• Advertisement

well got to work this mornin, opened up the internet explorer, and pretty much stared at this all mornin. http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=804725&ID=1579649#

How can ya not love the shape of it :D

Takin a spin in the 3.2 tomorrow lunch so i cant wait

Took a pic of the engine last time i drove it.
    10455231a6967513669l.jpg

Advertisement