Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions Last 16 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night goals mean Liverpool has now scored 516 in european competition, 281 of them in European Cup.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Why were TV3 advertising Setanta's coverage of the CL on their sports bulletin a few minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic - Barca might be the game to watch if these lineups are anything to go by.

Boruc
    Caddis---Caldwell---McManus---Naylor
    Hartley
    ----Robson---Nakamura---McGeady---
    Vennegoor---McDonald

Valdez
    Puyol---Marquez---Milito---Abidal
    Toure

Deco
    Iniesta
    ---Messi----Henry---Ronaldinho--

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal

1 Lehmann
    3 Sagna
    4 Fabregas
    5 Touré
    9 Eduardo
    10 Gallas
    13 Hleb
    16 Flamini
    22 Clichy
    25 Adebayor
    27 Eboué

Milan

16 Kalac
    3 Maldini
    4 Kaladze
    7 Pato
    8 Gattuso
    10 Seedorf
    13 Nesta
    21 Pirlo
    22 Kaká
    23 Ambrosini
    44 Oddo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's gotta be 4-4-2 from ARsenal no? Maybe Hleb dropping into the middle, with Eboue on the right Eduardo on the left?

Who knows.

I'm a little surprised to see Pato start on his own in attack. Obviously he'll get support from Kaka and co, but I would have thought Gilardino would start with Pato being used as an impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Souness just said on SkySports that in 1992 when he was managing Liverpool after a Europe game in Auxerre Platini knocked on his dressing room door and offered him a player that was having some troubles in the domestic French game. Souness declined because he was having troubles of his own and the last thing he needed was another potential disruptive influence. The player....

ERIC CANTONA:eek:....Oh, what might have been for liverpool fans:D

Toure off injured for Arsenal already... great.

Deco as charming as ever.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come On Celtic!!! Get In

• Advertisement

That was the easiest pass for Adebayor to put Eduardo in there, should have been a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive missed the first half of all these games. Which one should I tune into for the second ? Im thinking Ac Milan v Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Toure off injured for Arsenal already... great.

bit of a worry that, hope it is not too serious, that said Big Phil has done very well,just hope Toure is not going to be out long, we need all our players fit.

Very frustrating listening to the Setanta commentators about Naka. He's playing as a 2nd right back tonight and they're questioning his workrate. He hasn't stopped working off the ball.

McGeady hasn't lost the ball once. Did very well to set up the 2nd and definitely has the beating of Puyol.

McDonald is quickly hitting top class standards by Celtic terms. Such fantastic control.

Overall Celtic have been poor but I'd take that every day of the week if it meant winning at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I coulda sworn it was Fabregas? Either way it should have led to a goal. Arsenal should be able to get a goal in the second half if the end of that half is anything to go by, fascinating game imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Barca must be so pissed off, that scoreline is an injustice. But then again I guess its what happens if you waste that much.

DSB wrote: »
    Barca must be so pissed off, that scoreline is an injustice. But then again I guess its what happens if you waste that much.
    I know you dislike Celtic but as an Irishman it must be great to think that Aiden McGeady has been the difference so far! :D;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Damn, Celtic-Barca seems better than the 2 games i'm watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Gary 'bombscare' caldwell does it again:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Great goal by Benzema

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tevez saves United, 1-1. Fergie has got the away goal, he'll be delighted.

Jesus christ, how did that not go in?

0-0 FT. Milan will be happy. Arsenal really should have won that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They should have won that 2-0 at least!

Dominated possesion and chances. Van Persie when are you back!?:(

Anyway no away goal given away and the tie is still wide open.
    An early goal for arsenal in the San Siro will make this interesting:)

Barca were absolutely phenomenal. Simply the best, most accomplished performance I've ever seen at Celtic park. I doubt Celtic had less of the ball at home in about 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I know you dislike Celtic but as an Irishman it must be great to think that Aiden McGeady has been the difference so far! :D;):p

Haha it feels even better for Messi to make the difference in the end. But nah, my feelings for Celtic aside, no1 would have stopped Barca tonight, and with the poor performance Celtic gave in response they should be relieved they only lost by 1.

• Advertisement

Aye Celtic were terrible tonight. It wasn't one of those games though where the heart was in the mouth every10 minutes. Maybe that's what happens when you have Artur Boruc in goal. ;)

Anyway, I couldn't wait for this game for so long and now I'd rather stay in bed for 10 days. Football isn't worth it but I couldn't live without it. Catch 22 to the extreme.

btw, told you Milan would be the best team in the world at stopping Arsenal from scoring. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

re MGeady in the first half, I wondered if one can of bud had somehow went to my head and I was actually watching Cristiano Ronaldo v Lyon. Jesus christ what a first half he had. Second he didnt do much but tbh that was more a fault of some awful play around the back and midfield than anything, his first half performance was jaw dropping.

And this is coming from a man who, when a load of Gers birds in Glasgow good naturedly gave us the McGeady is a wanker/traitor stick, replied "We would give him back to Scotland only FIFA wont let us swap over the useless ****er to yis"

I stand corrected. Keep going like he did and he will be considered world class within a few years.

Thrilling first half but god the passing and general play in part two was horrific. I heard 75/25 possession to Barca said at one point.Saying all that Boruc pulled off a cracking show. As did McGeady, at least in part one. And lacking it in pt 2 wasnt really his fault.

It really is depressing alright. Especially when the ignorant commentators say my hero wasn't working enough. The same guy the played as a 2nd full back, rarely got forward and probably ran more than anyone on the pitch? It shows you how hard it is to judge 1 player in 22. I personally can't judge an opposing player when watching Celtic. Sometimes I can't even give a proper judgement of the 11 players. These idiots try to tell me that Naka doesn't work. Idiots. It really annoys me because he's such a hard worker. Terrible on the ball tonight mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Advantage United with the away goal.
    I think Milan will be happy, and Arsenal disappointed that they didn't score, especially at the end jesus. I think Milan will be an utterly different team at the San Siro.
    Celtic are out I think, 3 away goals and the goal lead is just too much.
    Sevilla I think will win at home and go through on away goals.

Good to see Eamon Dunphy reads my posts btw, or at least repeats the best bits. :D His commentary of McGeady tonight was just repeating everything I say about him.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Barca were absolutely phenomenal. Simply the best, most accomplished performance I've ever seen at Celtic park. I doubt Celtic had less of the ball at home in about 20 years.

Heard Henry scored a great goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Looked something like this

A beauty from the left 20 yards out, curved it with spin past the keeper and it nestled just inside the far post.

Sack Wenger? ;)

Mike.

playa3 wrote: »

nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy, Naka is getting abuse on Celtic forums. I'm not ignorant. Please don't take my love for Naka as ignorance. On the ball he was brutal tonight. Lost the ball as much as he played it. Off the ball though he was his usual work horse shelf. If anyone tries to play Naka's workrate down I'll personally debate it with them. I don't have some strange affliction with Japanese people btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

From what I gleaned of watching the Celtic match tonight, part of the downfall was trying to play the ball out of defence a la Arsenal, it'll work verus St Mirren but its playing with fire against Barcelona. Particularly for the equiliser, Gary Caldwell played a suicide ball out of defence when there was no pressure on him. Cracking finish by Henry though. Defending set pieces wasn't great either, I remember Milito ghosted in to have a free header and just headed it straight into Boruc' arms. Had to laugh at Mick McManus going in hard against Ronaldinho every time he got a sniff of the ball. :)

McGeady had Puyol in ribbons the first half.

What a player Karim Benzema is going to be as well. Sublime. Exactly the type of player United should sign.

ziggy wrote: »
    Sorry, looked like you just read my post and played down Naka. Anyway, Lets ignore Naka for a week. :D;)

McDonald is my motm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just watched Arsenal highlights, they played phenomenal football, were so unlucky not to win. I have NO clue how Ade missed that header at the end! :eek: Surely impossible!

Great result for United, not a particularly inspiring performance in the first half. Dunno why Tevez didn't start, I'd say we woulda won 2-1 if he had partnered Rooney from the start. Still, an away goal and the huge advantage of playing in OT next. I'm fairly optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

playa3 wrote: »
    Sweet goal. Brings back memories of a similar goal at Lansdowne :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Damn that Tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Liverpool 20
    Barcelona 18
    Sevilla 18
    AC Milan 16
    Man. United 15
    Arsenal 14
    Real Madrid 14
    Fenerbahçe 14
    Roma 13
    Lyon 13
    Internazionale 12
    *******cos 11
    Sporting 9
    Bremen 8
    Lazio 8
    Chelsea 9
    Celtic 9
    CSKA Moskva 7
    Rangers 7
    Stuttgart 7
    Porto 8

Champions League top scorers charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lol more like liverpool bragging chart ;)

is it relevant that over 1/3 of liverpools goals were scored in one game??

sevilla suprise me though, didnt realise they had scored so many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

SofaKing wrote: »
    Sweet goal. Brings back memories of a similar goal at Lansdowne :(

Nice goal, usual crap celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

patmac wrote: »
    Nice goal, usual crap celebration.

:rolleyes:

What a ridiculous post.

What in the blue hell difference does the celebration make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Well impressed with Lyon last night. For all the possession Utd had they really offered nothing going forward.

Benzema really is a class act, great goal. Rio was shown up by him more than once. Shame that as soon as Lyon started making subs ya knew Utd would sneak one. Lyon deserved more from the game.

Utd will prolly go thru at OT but I can see Lyon scoring once anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

kaimera wrote: »
    Well impressed with Lyon last night. For all the possession Utd had they really offered nothing going forward.

Benzema really is a class act, great goal. Rio was shown up by him more than once. Shame that as soon as Lyon started making subs ya knew Utd would sneak one. Lyon deserved more from the game.

Utd will prolly go thru at OT but I can see Lyon scoring once anyway.

did you watch the game? Lyon had les chances than Utd? A draw was a fair result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kida wrote: »
    did you watch the game? Lyon had les chances than Utd? A draw was a fair result.
    Didn't see most of the first half.

Doesn't change the fact I thought Utd were pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Liverpool v Inter Milan - Draw
    Ólympiakos v Chelsea - Chelsea
    Roma v Real Madrid - Draw
    Schalke 04 v FC Porto - Shalke

Arsenal v AC Milan - Arsenal by one
    Celtic v Barcelona - Celtic by two (anyone predicting a barca win in this tie has not seen their injury list)
    Fenerbahce v Sevilla - Sevilla
    Lyon v Man Utd - Draw
    Unbelievable result from that threadbare Barca squad last night. Went away with a victory against all the odds.

You arent very good at this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54020030&postcount=20

Advertisement