Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend bike suitable for 24-36 mile distances?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭

I am a not a cyclist but play Gaa . I want to incorporate cycling into my weekly training on my off days. I would appreciate it if some of the regulars here could recommend a bike that would be suitable for rides of up to 36 miles and also recommend some good bike stores.

Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What is your budget? Probably a road bike is best for that kind of distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

We can't recommend a shop until you tell us where in Ireland you are based

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could get it online too. www.chainreactioncycles.com
    www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk

36 miles is a lot. I am fairly quick on a bike and that would probably be 3 hours on my hybrid.

I could not ride a roadbike on the roads I use, would be far too uncomfortable and wouldnt last pissing time.

Bear in mind if you are solely cycling to burn calories then efficiencies do not really matter. I started commuting on a mountain bike again to burn more calories over the same distance. I also find it more enjoyable as it is more comfortable, and it is much safer since I am going slower and to not have to worry about poor roads, kerbs etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

thanks for the replies

im based in dublin but would be willing to travel to pick one up or to order online

im looking for the best value possible, anything up to 300-400euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

maradona10 wrote: »
    I am a not a cyclist but play Gaa . I want to incorporate cycling into my weekly training on my off days.

I'm not an expert - definately not on the GAA end - but I thought cycling stiffened up the wrong muscles for the quick sprints that you need on the football field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

chainreaction have a roadbike for 374 euro. 2007 model
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14991
    entry level road bike. Fantastic value at 38% off.
    I'd recommend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

thanks Harpz, ill check that one out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

Giant SCR4 / OCR 3 is the cheapest brand name racer in most of the bike shops at around 550 and when you buy in person you can make sure it fits.

Advertisement