Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda vs Vw

Options
  • 17-02-2008 8:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

i have a question. are skodas made by vw and if they are how come skoda are supposed to be very reliable and vw not if there both made by the same crowd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thats people opions. Some say they are crap, others say they are great. TBH theres nothing wrong with them. If skoda are bad then Audi and Vw are bad. They are all the same chassis and engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They're not made by the same crowd: Skodas are made in the Czech Republic. Euro VWs are made in Ukraine, Mexico, Slovakia, and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There made the same though.

Plug wrote: »
    There made the same though.

They're made the same what?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

though.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    though.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

The Skoda engines are made by VW but are tweaked by Skoda. Quite often you will see lower CO2 emissions etc.. from Skodas.Chassis, lights, gear knob etc are all shared between VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat

batman2000 wrote: »
    The Skoda engines are made by VW but are tweaked by Skoda. Quite often you will see lower CO2 emissions etc.. from Skodas.Chassis, lights, gear knob etc are all shared between VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat

wonderfully vague!

Fact remains that Skodas are assembled by Skoda, not VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Plug wrote: »
    Thats people opions. Some say they are crap, others say they are great. TBH theres nothing wrong with them. If skoda are bad then Audi and Vw are bad. They are all the same chassis and engines.

I'd agree with Plug, and hypothicise further. People have a lower expectation from a Skoda so, when it's really good they think it's great. They have a higher expectation from VW so, when it's really good they think it's only OK.

• Advertisement

Also, I'll wager that A4 1.6's get driven harder than Octavia 1.6's so may give more mechanical problems as a redult of the way they're driven

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It *could* also have something to do with the fact the the workers and engineers of one of the worlds oldest automobile manufacturers (Skoda) take pride in what they do and have something to prove after the debakel that was communist motor car production...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

wonderfully vague!

Thanks I try my best !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

batman2000 wrote: »

I don't think they are tweaked at all. You'd get different CO2 emission levels from differing drag coefficient and weight of the cars.
    Also, quality control seems to be better in Skoda.
    Look at jap built Honda's versus UK built Honda's. Any known problems with Honda's (not many!) are from UK built ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Also, I'll wager that A4 1.6's get driven harder than Octavia 1.6's so may give more mechanical problems as a redult of the way they're driven

The octavia is built on a golf chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VeVeX wrote: »
    The octavia is built on a golf chassis.

The engines in the Audi and the Skoda are the same one though are they not? Or is the Skoda one an older version.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The engines in the Audi and the Skoda are the same one though are they not? Or is the Skoda one an older version.

The engine may be the same but the A4 / Octavia comparison is not like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Ive driven and Octavia and Passat and only sat in an A4.

The A4s has the best interior.

On the 1.9 tdis - do they have the same mpg? Is the A4 heavier?

worded wrote: »
    Ive driven and Octavia and Passat and only sat in an A4.

The A4s has the best interior.

On the 1.9 tdis - do they have the same mpg? Is the A4 heavier?

Of course the A4 is heavier so is the Passat.

Read the previous posts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

The Volkswagen group have the same quality controls across the board. By having multiple brands and models they target three different markets.

The quality should be the same across the board.

Tesco do the exact same thing with branding, covering, lower, middle and upper market consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

craichoe wrote: »
    The quality should be the same across the board.

Operative word there!

Advertisement