Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots for American Football

• 17-02-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

I pulled my groin training today as I slipped on the ground. I currently have softball cleats ( plastic cleats, and not that long ) and they're not giving my any grip at all in the soft muddy ground we have at this time of year.

So, I'd like to get a pair of boots that'll hopefully give me grip! I've been thinking maybe rugby boots or soft ground football boots, but I'm looking for advice / suggestions as to what ones to buy. As far as I know, IAFL rules say you can't use metal studs ( as does Irish Softball Association rules ), but nearly every boot I've seen that has studs ( instead of cleats or blades - I've been told that studs would be better for soft ground ) either has metal studs or metal tipped studs. Are these ok to buy for the IAFL?

Finally, I need to get a large size ( 14 ) so there's probably not much point recommending Elverys etc., they normally only go to size 12 or so. But any suggestions regarding studs / blades / steel tips etc. etc. are gratefully received! Thanks...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Heathers are okay, mate just got a pair of size 14s but wasn't there, i'll check. Most players wear rugby boots with studs. If you want to order football boots best place is the outlet store at www.eastbay.com (red tab on top right), they usually have football cleats from $20-$40 - get the ones with studs, the blades can get caught in the ground and you can mess up your ankles in particular. Shipping's expensive though so you'd want to be getting a few things for it to make sense

*edit* checked there and they have six different ones for $19.99 in size 15 (UK size 14)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

See if you can get these. You will get them pretty cheap on ebay, be tough enough getting a good selection in your size though.

These are decent but getting them in your size will be tough again.

Failing that go with a pair of rugby boots.

I bought the blades versions of the Sharks, wore em once and that was it. Nearly tore my ankle ligaments. They're still in my gaff looking all shiny. Those ones would give much better grip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks guys for the tips... The $10 Adidas ( well, starting bid of $10 ) look like they'd be the right size too! But they look like metal studs to me, are they allowed in the league?

J.

I don't think he will deliver here

• Advertisement

Nah JDivision, he doesn't. But I might be able to find another pair online. I'm just worried about getting boots that I can't wear on gameday! Hence my worries about metal studs...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

jasonb wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the tips... The $10 Adidas ( well, starting bid of $10 ) look like they'd be the right size too! But they look like metal studs to me, are they allowed in the league?

J.

Probably why he is selling them. Most screw in stoods now are hard plastic. His reserve looks like its set at 80 anyway. Eastbay are cheaper but will screw you for delivery. Im living in the US right noy and if you pm me you can order them and send them to me and I will send them on and you can then just send me delivery cost. You avoid customs this way also.

Thanks for the offer Tallaght, one of the guys on the team might have found a pair for me, but if it doesn't work out I'll get in touch with you!

J.

Advertisement