Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delaney attacks Keane

• 17-02-2008 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Delaney lashes out at Keane
    Sunday, 17 February 2008 17:40
    Roy Keane has been handed a dose of his own medicine via a stinging rebuke from Football Association of Ireland Chief Executive John Delaney.

Keane has often been critical of the FAI and their methods, and in particular recently slated the association for doing 'everything backwards'.

Delaney feels that in attracting Giovanni Trapattoni as Republic of Ireland manager this week, Sunderland boss Keane can have no grounds to now point an accusing finger.

And Delaney has decided to snap back at Keane in a rare bout of public anger.

'The only criticism I'd have of Sunderland would be their manager giving his weekly report about Irish football, Cork hurling and all that he does,' lashed Delaney.

'We don't comment on the players he's bought or where they are in the league.

'So I think he should get on with managing Sunderland and stop commenting on a regular basis about the FAI.

'He looks very good on deflecting from his own issues. I think what he should do is concentrate on what he has to do.

'If anything we have been supportive of what they (Sunderland) are doing with the Irish connection in that regard. From my point of view he should get on with his job.'

Delaney added: 'The inaccuracies that come out from him are what bothers me, like last week he said we cut corners.

'But Liam Miller was injured (in the friendly defeat) against Brazil, and he should remember that only two or three countries insure their players, and we're one of them.

'So we do our business properly in that regard. It's the constant looking to the past and not understanding what we're about today. That's one simple example of where he gets it wrong.'

Good point tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Fair point, but I dont think John Delaney is in a position to be criticising anybody tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Archimedes wrote: »
    Fair point, but I dont think John Delaney is in a position to be criticising anybody tbh.
    Agree.Delaney is in no position to rant.

Delaney makes a good point but at the same time he needs t address the fact that hes viewed as a running joke.

Tbh why does everyone put "tbh" after everything they say on this board? Tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

**** that ****, finally somebody who is respect in the football media bitching about the FAI. This is just Delaney trying to do anything he can to avoid criticism, but luckily he can't shut Keane up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They just do tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Tbh why does everyone put "tbh" after everything they say on this board? Tbh

I didn't tbh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I really really really hope Sunderland go down this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thata boy Jonnno, always liked him!

So if Delaney stays in the job can we deduce from this that Keane won't get the manager's position? Delaney for life so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB I agree with you that someone high profile giving out about the FAI is a good thing, but Keane's comments are somewhat diluted by the fact that he seems to comment on everything these days. If he just commented on things worth commenting on, he'd be much better off imo. tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    PHB I agree with you that someone high profile giving out about the FAI is a good thing, but Keane's comments are somewhat diluted by the fact that he seems to comment on everything these days. If he just commented on things worth commenting on, he'd be much better off imo. tbh.

it is true that he will coment on almost everything, then again hes only answering whats asked of him. I think he is kind of becoming the New Mourinho in this aspect because be it him talking about Wags or the FAI he is deflecting attension away from his Sunderland players and leaving them to concentrate on their football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Everyone knows that the FAI aren't the most professional bunch but coming from Keane, it just seems bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

he comments on everything coz ythe media keeps askin for his opinions, and whe nyou ask the man what he thinks he's gonna tell you, he's not one of those "no comment" arse bandits, which is what i like about him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

gosplan wrote: »
    Everyone knows that the FAI aren't the most professional bunch but coming from Keane, it just seems bitter.

Eamo has a name for Keano. Rhymes with "bitter" iirc.. tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If the Sunderland 'team' was English I wonder would Keane get the light of day to discuss Cork GAA and Ireland etc - I think not;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thata boy Jonnno, always liked him!

So if Delaney stays in the job can we deduce from this that Keane won't get the manager's position? Delaney for life so.
    :eek:

I do hope you are joking.
    darkman2 wrote: »
    If the Sunderland 'team' was English
    The Sunderland team is English. It's an English team with Irish players. Like other teams in England have some Irish players.

To be honest, any criticism of the FAI is ok in my book.

DesF wrote: »
    :eek:

I do hope you are joking.

Of course I'm joking, although I do think he should be kept as far away from the job as possible.

Of course I'm joking, although I do think he should be kept as far away from the job as possible.

At the moment I agree.

But, if he gets the time to maybe make SundIreland a mid-table Prem team, then goes and manages someone like Villa/Spurs/Blackburn and is relatively successful with them (UEFA Cup spot/pushing for CL Spot) and then maybe goes abroad/manages United and is successful there (titles, decent CL Run etc), say if he has a good 20 Year managerial career, would you still let personal grudges stand in the way of thinking he should get the job?

Anyway, lot of ifs and buts there, I hope Sunderland fail, I hope they go down.

At the moment I agree.

But, if he gets the time to maybe make SundIreland a mid-table Prem team, then goes and manages someone like Villa/Spurs/Blackburn and is relatively successful with them (UEFA Cup spot/pushing for CL Spot) and then maybe goes abroad/manages United and is successful there (titles, decent CL Run etc), say if he has a good 20 Year managerial career, would you still let personal grudges stand in the way of thinking he should get the job?

Anyway, lot of ifs and buts there, I hope Sunderland fail, I hope they go down.

That all depends really. If he keeps shooting his mouth off then it's not the sort of attention I'd like drawn to the job. This defence of 'Well he was asked a question" doesn't wash with me. How many manager's have declined to comment on issues that don't really concern them? Just because you are asked doesn't mean you have to answer.

How many manager's have declined to comment on issues that don't really concern them? Just because you are asked doesn't mean you have to answer.
    How many times has Arsene Wenger been slated for saying he hasn't seen an incident, or just a plain "no comment".

I do agree with you though, Keane would do well to keep his mouth shut on matters that don't concern him.

How many times has Arsene Wenger been slated for saying he hasn't seen an incident, or just a plain "no comment".

Difference is though they are incidents concerning his own team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Difference is though they are incidents concerning his own team.

Exactly.

Fundamentally John Delaney is right here. Why should he sit there and listen to a lecture from some manager of an English club struggling to stay up after spending a fortune? It was obvious that Keane had no inside track and was oblivious to the fact that Trappatoni was imminent.

Not only was Keane wrong, he isn't exactly credible on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Exactly.

Fundamentally John Delaney is right here. Why should he sit there and listen to a lecture from some manager of an English club struggling to stay up after spending a fortune? It was obvious that Keane had no inside track and was oblivious to the fact that Trappatoni was imminent.

Not only was Keane wrong, he isn't exactly credible on this one.
    so the only difference between Keane and all the people saying pretty much the exact same as him on here, is that keanes views get read/heard by more people.

Tauren wrote: »
    so the only difference between Keane and all the people saying pretty much the exact same as him on here, is that keanes views get read/heard by more people.
    Exactly. The irony of people on an internet giving out about someone else giving their opinion on something else is delicious.

Here's the first United fan in :D

Tbh honest yes that is the only difference, but it's a pretty big one. No one gives a sh1t about what you or I say but people listen to him, whether he's right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

*IF* roy keane becomes a success as a manager then yes id listen to him a bit more but at the min he's not so he should concentrate on Sunderland and their fight for survival.

I dont often agree with Delaney but i think he's right here.

Agree with xavi's earlier post, the "he was asked" excuse doesn't fly.

Yeah he's asked, but he doesn't have to give such frank responses to issues that have nothing to do with him, that he hasn't particularly looked into, and that he doesn't particularly care about. I like the outspoken thing at times, but only if its something he actually cares about. All thats happening now is that anything decent he says, that he really genuinely gives a fck about, will just be seen as yet another Keane rant.

Right now he's just news fodder. If someone needs a story, ask Keane a controversial question and boom, news.

And on the thing of him being Mourinho-esque, would he even be in the spotlight if it wasn't for these things? He's not deflecting attention away from anything. He's far more in the news then say Hodgeson, Bruce or Jewell. All this does is give people an excuse to actually look at his position and say "yeah keep your own house in order there Roy".

IMO at the moment he, and Sunderland, would be better off if he just kept his head down and worked on getting the results to keep them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Agree with xavi's earlier post, the "he was asked" excuse doesn't fly.

Yeah he's asked, but he doesn't have to give such frank responses to issues that have nothing to do with him, that he hasn't particularly looked into, and that he doesn't particularly care about. I like the outspoken thing at times, but only if its something he actually cares about. All thats happening now is that anything decent he says, that he really genuinely gives a fck about, will just be seen as yet another Keane rant.

Right now he's just news fodder. If someone needs a story, ask Keane a controversial question and boom, news.

And on the thing of him being Mourinho-esque, would he even be in the spotlight if it wasn't for these things? He's not deflecting attention away from anything. He's far more in the news then say Hodgeson, Bruce or Jewell. All this does is give people an excuse to actually look at his position and say "yeah keep your own house in order there Roy".

IMO at the moment he, and Sunderland, would be better off if he just kept his head down and worked on getting the results to keep them up.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Fergie, Wenger, etc all get asked about the English team but they answer in a more respectful way, they never criticise the FA or the managers. There are ways to deflect these questions. Every time I see Keane make statements about Irish football and the FAI I cringe, his media handling and general professionalism is terrible.

Here's the first United fan in :D

Tbh honest yes that is the only difference, but it's a pretty big one. No one gives a sh1t about what you or I say but people listen to him, whether he's right or wrong.

Hah - speak for yourself! I'm sure my opinions are very respected in world football!

Yes, people listen to him, right or wrong, but that is part of the issue. He may be wrong, he may be right; it is up to the people that recieve his views to make up their own minds based on all the available infomration. Roy Keane is giving his opinion on matters he is asked of. He may 'only' be the manager of a struggling premiership team, but people seem to be discounting the fact he played for Ireland, so would have had dealings with the FAI directly as a player for years. He is now the manager of a number of Irish players, so more dealings there. I'm sure Roy Keane is more clued in about the workings and dealings of the FAI than the average Irish punter is.

As for Trappatoni being appointed and thus showing he has no inside track - i guess we have to just stop reading every paper - as there were a number still touting El Tel for the job in the days leading up to the appointment.
    And on the thing of him being Mourinho-esque, would he even be in the spotlight if it wasn't for these things? He's not deflecting attention away from anything. He's far more in the news then say Hodgeson, Bruce or Jewell.
    Is he really though - could it be we just hear more of him because he speaks on Irish topics, unlike the other 3 managers. I certainly see enough of Bruce on the TV weekly. I'm not sure there is any more quantity to Roy's media apearences, just they get more coverage over here becuase of the subject matter and who he is. Most of the stuff I see on TV with Roy consists of him being asked questions, and answering them, at press conferences. Conferences every clubs has before matches. Its not like he is inviting the SIndo reports round for tea and biscuits by the fire while he rants.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Exactly. The irony of people on an internet giving out about someone else giving their opinion on something else is delicious.

1: Believe it or not, my handle here isnt my real name.

2: This is a forum for random opinions on various football related issues. A sunderland press conference is not.

3: Roy Keane has previous with the FAI, my internet name does not.

The issue is threefold. One he was wrong. Secondly he should have other things to worry about than giving a running commentary on other teams and indeed sports. Thirdly he should have enough cop on to stay out of FAI politics.

Tauren, have you heard any other manager answering questions about other sports at post game press conferences?

• Advertisement

Tauren, have you heard any other manager answering questions about other sports at post game press conferences?
    Yes.

England winnign the rugby world cup - commented on by most english based managers at the time.

SCORE 1!

Besides, so freakin what. Roys only reason for being at a press conference is to answert he questions the media put to him. If it happens to be on the state of the Cork County Board, and Roy Keane can answer teh question and give his opnion, why not just answer it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Me in a press conference....

Q: Mr Alan, do you believe Tauren probably wears womens clothes while he posts online?

A: No comment. i'm not here to talk about Tauren.

That simple Roy.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    rofl

Q: Mr Alan, do you believe Tauren probably wears womens clothes while he posts online?

A: No comment. i'm not here to talk about Tauren.

That simple Roy.

Now Alan, you know I don't wear womens clothes, so you could say "No".

We both know i post naked.

Maybe you are just a more closed off person then Roy is, or I am. If I was asked a question about the state of Irish football I'd answer it. If i had an interest in GAA and was asked about a situation in my home county that was BIG BIG BIG news in my home country, I would answer it.

Roy Keane is an insanely private man, i doubt he is longing to "open up" with the media. Someone ask him about Alf Inge Halland and i'm sure he wont be as talkative.

Yes.

England winnign the rugby world cup - commented on by most english based managers at the time.

SCORE 1!

Besides, so freakin what. Roys only reason for being at a press conference is to answert he questions the media put to him. If it happens to be on the state of the Cork County Board, and Roy Keane can answer teh question and give his opnion, why not just answer it?

There is a slight difference between an English based football manager giving a standard congratulation to an English side and an English based manager criticising the FAI and the GAA.

From a simople media management point of view he should know better than opening that can of worms and absolutely not be offereing an opinion on how organisations he has no involvement in run their internal affairs. Especially when he is wrong.

• Advertisement

Maybe you are just a more closed off person then Roy is, or I am. If I was asked a question about the state of Irish football I'd answer it. If i had an interest in GAA and was asked about a situation in my home county that was BIG BIG BIG news in my home country, I would answer it.

But if you were in RK's position you shouldnt. Thats the point. A Sunderland press conference is not the time or place for 'what Roy thinks about life'.

Roy Keane is an insanely private man, i doubt he is longing to "open up" with the media. Someone ask him about Alf Inge Halland and i'm sure he wont be as talkative.

I'd actually love to see him asked that question. I'd love to see him go on a rant about how the media and fans seemt o think he ended Haalands career, when Haaland himself admited that the knee Roy disgracefully took out actually healed up ok, and it was problems his other knee that forced him to retire.

Roy has always been frank of forthcoming with his views. Hell, he was kicked out of old trafford because of it. I suppose i could spin it and say Luis Garcia deliberately ended his United career with that deliberate foul in the last game Roy played for United.
    But if you were in RK's position you shouldnt. Thats the point. A Sunderland press conference is not the time or place for 'what Roy thinks about life'.
    The media would seem to disagree.
    There is a slight difference between an English based football manager giving a standard congratulation to an English side and an English based manager criticising the FAI and the GAA.

So you didn't want me to answer the question you asked me with a perfectly legit answer. Why did you ask so? The English based maanger you refer to also captained his country, is seen as one of the better players to have played for ireland and is from the county the GAA story is in relation too.

The media disagree because everytime Roy Keane opens his mouth to them its giving them quality sound bites slating everything. He needs to learn to shut his mouth and talk about football only. and football only that concerns him. Like maybe how he spent, wat? about 40 odd million? and is still struggling with relegation......its all about deflection away from the real issues for him.

And the fact that you are comparing Luis Garcia tackle to the Alf Inge Halland one is absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Delaney is a plank of the highest order but this is the first sensible thing I have ever heard out of his mouth.

Why the fvck does roy keane feel the need to give a running commentary on football in this country when he clearly didnt give a fvck about it when he had the chance.

Babybing wrote: »
    Why the fvck does roy keane feel the need to give a running commentary on football in this country when he clearly didnt give a fvck about it when he had the chance.

Can Open...Worms Everywhere!

• Advertisement

The media would seem to disagree..

Good for them. They love it when Roy lets rip as they have a story. That does not mean he should oblige.

So you didn't want me to answer the question you asked me with a perfectly legit answer. Why did you ask so? The English based maanger you refer to also captained his country, is seen as one of the better players to have played for ireland and is from the county the GAA story is in relation too.

Again, just because the media ask him a question does not legitimise whether he should oblige them with irrelevant soundbites, or in this case a minefield he should have the with not to step into.

He is attending those press conferences in his position of manager of Sunderland AFC not as former Irish player or Cork Gah fan. It is obvious he needs media training or a better press officer at his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Babybing wrote: »

seriously please dont start with this debate again, what ever side everyone is on, doesnt matter....it was 5 years ago, get over it everyone! the only people who should be allowed discuss those events are the iKeano crew! :D

1: Believe it or not, my handle here isnt my real name.

2: This is a forum for random opinions on various football related issues. A sunderland press conference is not.

3: Roy Keane has previous with the FAI, my internet name does not.

The issue is threefold. One he was wrong. Secondly he should have other things to worry about than giving a running commentary on other teams and indeed sports. Thirdly he should have enough cop on to stay out of FAI politics.

Regardless of what you say it's still hypocritical. And also, who makes you judge and jury on who can have an opinion on what?

Anyway, I think Keane's Sunderland appointment is a master plan to buy as many Irish players as he can and then when the FAI come looking for the players for an International fixture they'll all have acquired mysterious injuries! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

at some point during all of Keane's daily or weekly press conferences he is asked about irish soccer.He gives an answer which is never complementary of the fai as expected and for some reason its a story.
    Just stop putting in it the papers or the journo's stop asking the questions.
    We get it,keane doesnt like the fai,big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

seriously please dont start with this debate again, what ever side everyone is on, doesnt matter....it was 5 years ago, get over it everyone! the only people who should be allowed discuss those events are the iKeano crew! :D

Yeah your right, messy debate but it just annoys the fvck out of me to here him make comments all the time.

I am definately not a Roy Keane fan but I must say I have been really really surprised by this. I really didnt think he was the sort but its pretty sickening to hear him make his snide, vindictive, childish, unprofessional remarks about football in this country and thats coming from someone who thinks the FAI are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Firstly, I think we are all in agreement that Delaney is a muppet.

Secondly, I'm sure Keane is more than happy to talk about anything other than Sunderland, their players and their results. As we all should know, managers jobs are not just about picking the team but also deflecting criticism and letting the players get on with their jobs.

I'm sure Keane doesnt give a rats aass what Delaney has said, in fact he's probably happy as means less column inches about his players.

Finally, I'll always hope that we get the best manager for the national team job. Personally I dont think Trapa is that man but I really want to see him do well. I'm of the opinion an international manager should be a good motivater as well as a good tactician. No matter what went on in the past, If keane works on the 2nd skill I'm sure he could do the job in the future.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Regardless of what you say it's still hypocritical. And also, who makes you judge and jury on who can have an opinion on what?

Where did I say he is not entitled to an opinion? All I'm saying is that aside from the fact he was wrong about the FAI process, it got us Traps, it is inapparopriate for him to be commenting on the inner workings of the FAI, nevermind the Gah, while on the clock at Sunderland.

As such, Delaney is dead right to tell him to concentrate on his job rather than criticising the FAI, and he has the moral authority to do so in the context of a job well done.

As such, Delaney is dead right to tell him to concentrate on his job rather than criticising the FAI, and he has the moral authority to do so in the context of a job well done.
    Er, no.

If Keane has no place commenting on the FAI, gah or any other subject that isn't Sunderland, then by the same token Delaney should shut his mouth about Keane. It doesn't matter that "he started it" or whatever other bolloxology, if keane should shut up, then Delaney ahouldn't be commenting either.

Moral authoritay my hole

Des. You are wrong about this. Hatred of FAI and Delaney is ruling over common sense.

Des. You are wrong about this.
    :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)
    Hatred of FAI and Delaney is ruling over common sense.
    Common sense?

Sure, Keane doesn't have to comment, but by the same token Delaney doesn't have to react.

That's all I'm saying.

Are you telling me that Delaney should react?

• Advertisement
Advertisement