Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raid Help

• 17-02-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi Everyone

I just installed ubuntu 7.10 and it's great. The only problem i have is my raid array. I'm using a Promise FastTrak TX4310. When i try to install the software that came with the raid array i get this message.

Preparing to install...
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
    nawk: error while loading shared libraries: libm.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    /tmp/install.dir.7987/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Install shared C libraries (libc6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

Seeing as there was already a thread about RAID I thought this would be the best place to put the question. I'm building a system as an alternative to buying a QNAP-409 and I'm not sure what level of RAID I sould be looking to implement. I primarly want some kind of redundancy above a standard HDD so I guess mirroring is fine but Im wondering if I need more than that and if I can justify having 4 drives and only 500Gb of space.

Oh and any recommendations for a rock solid RAID card that works well with Ubuntu would be welcome :-)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

You dont need a raid card, use linux soft raid. mdadm FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As djmarkus say if it's just a NAS box that will be setup as a 'stable' system then Linux software RAID5 is worth serious consideration. It's been extremely solid for years and there are loads of people on boards who use it. Also, while at first you may have doubts about a 'software' solution remember that you'll get far better performance than a cheap (proper) hardware RAID card and you'll and you avoid all the potential problems associated with controller failure in the case of a hardware implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

As djmarkus say if it's just a NAS box that will be setup as a 'stable' system then Linux software RAID5 is worth serious consideration.

+1 vote. I use the linux kernel raid 5 and love it to bits.

• Advertisement

Thats a bit strong, You LOVE linux raid5?

EDIT while im here i may as well contribute this

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Net::SMTP::TLS;

sub send_mail {
        my $to = $_[0];
        my $subject = $_[1];
        my $body = $_[2];

my $from = 'you@gmail.com';
        my $password = 'foobar';

my $smtp;

if (not $smtp = Net::SMTP::TLS->new('smtp.gmail.com',
                                     Port => 587,
                                    User    =>      "$from",
                                   Password=>      "$password",
                                     Debug => 1 )) {
            die "Could not connect to server\n";
        }

$smtp->mail($from . "\n");
        $smtp->to($to . "\n");
        $smtp->data();
        $smtp->datasend("From: " . $from . "\n");
        $smtp->datasend("To: " . $to . "\n");
        $smtp->datasend("Subject: " . $subject . "\n");
        $smtp->datasend("\n");
        $smtp->datasend($body . "\n");
        $smtp->dataend();
        $smtp->quit;
    }

$failures =  `grep "[*_*]"  /proc/mdstat | wc -l`;
    $body = "Report on Arrays:\n";
    $body = $body."Raid Reports: md0:\n".`/sbin/mdadm -D /dev/md0`."\n";
    $body = $body."Raid Reports: md1:\n".`/sbin/mdadm -D /dev/md1`."\n";
    $body = $body."dmesg:\n".`/bin/dmesg | tail -100`;

&send_mail('to@address", "Raid Report, $failures failures", "$body");

You should say what that script does. ;) Looks class: Seems to send a mail from your gmail account telling you the health of your raid arrays.

But yeah, I _LOVE_ raid 5. I have 3 relatively slow hard drives and it churns out 150MB/s read speed. Beauty.

edit: Two things on the script below: The last line is missing a ' (to close the "to" address). Also, my version of mdadm (2.6.2) will only give out details on /dev/md0 when run as root (I am a member of the "disk" group).

I altered it slightly to only mail me if there's a failure....
    if ($failures > 0)
    {
    	&send_mail('my_email_address@gmail.com', "Raid array failure!, $failures failures", "$body");
    }

Thanks for the script though. I have added it to roots crontab. Very useful.

Well the idea would be to use it in mdadm monitor mode, ala:
    /sbin/mdadm -F -d 300 -p /root/raidreport.pl /dev/md0 /dev/md1

so it will only fire off if there is a failure

Ah yes, very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if it is possible for a system to use multiple HDD's connected via USB for a RAID array or do the drives have to be connected via IDE/SATA etc?

Dave

• Advertisement

Its possible, on linux anyway to use any block device as part of a raid array. A block device is usually a hard disk connect via USB/IDE/SCSI/SATA/SAS/Firewire.
    So in theory you can create a raid from hard drives connected via USB. However, i DO NOT reccommend it, for several reasons.

USB should be fine but will add some hassle (not at setup time).

edit: didn't see jdm's reply before mine. Yeah, I wouldn't be mad about it either tbh. You could do it though. Depends on how much you want it really. :)

Advertisement