Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this then? (Tramore)

Options
  • 17-02-2008 8:52pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I was down there today walking around and saw this on the way down to the sand dunes, first off I'm curious was there ever any industry in the "waste land" on the way down to the sand dunes and second off what was the thing in the photo?

img06202fq0.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tis the old Race Course. :)

Moving to Waterford County..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought everyone knew that!

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why'd they move it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I was always told it was an abandoned hotel which sunk?

They moved it cos of the subsidence near the strand which became the backstrand when the dam (or dunes not sure which) gave way in 1911.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

any photos of the race course before it was moveD?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dont think I came across anyway, but ill double check.

If you want to see old photos of Tramore, see the Discover Tramore gallery: http://www.discovertramore.ie/gallery. New photos will be uploaded over the coming days. We are trying to trace more old photos of the Train but its proving hard - as those in supply are asking for money to get them.

Great pix sully. Pity some people have no community spirit regarding donating shots for money.

Mike.

We took lots of photos of Tramore last week when the Weather was nice so should have those up soon. I have to say, a local historian Andy Taylor was more then helpful and provided us with lots of pictures and history of the town. Other people on Flickr gave photos, including Joe Cashin.

Some of the local tourism crowd well, they were not welcoming us with open arms. We put in a lot of effort to getting the site up, getting it out there etc. to help Tramore and will continue to do so. I think it was the Waterford County Images Museum or something refused us the photos unless we paid a fee of €10 or so per photo as we were considered "commercial".

so whats this then?
    hydro.jpg

• Advertisement

The Hydro was for improving oneself through public bathing I think (I bet it smelt of salts).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The Hydro was for improving oneself through public bathing I think (I bet it smelt of salts).

Mike.

its a long shot but was this where the amusements are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

only coz ya can see the top of the ocean view guest house, its down the prom tis the green where the circus goes in or the car park next to it

rasper wrote: »
    only coz ya can see the top of the ocean view guest house, its down the prom tis the green where the circus goes in or the car park next to it

yeah I was guessing it was the ocean view guesthouse alright, bloody hell that guesthouse must be there a long long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Sully wrote: »
    Dont think I came across anyway, but ill double check.

If you want to see old photos of Tramore, see the Discover Tramore gallery: http://www.discovertramore.ie/gallery. New photos will be uploaded over the coming days. We are trying to trace more old photos of the Train but its proving hard - as those in supply are asking for money to get them.

Those photo's are great, thanks for posting that link.

I used to stay in a house on Doneraile Walk in the summer as a kid.

The harbour is the only area which hasn't changed much from those photos.

This is a guess but I reckon the Hydro would have been down the far end of the prom most likely.

Mike.

bug wrote: »
    Those photo's are great, thanks for posting that link.

I used to stay in a house on Doneraile Walk in the summer as a kid.

The harbour is the only area which hasn't changed much from those photos.

We have lots of new photos, ill be putting them up during the week and ill let ya know. :)

This is a guess but I reckon the Hydro would have been down the far end of the prom most likely.

Mike.

No rasper has it right. Its beside Lido. :)

There is still the enterance, and a circular cylinder from the past. It hasnt been used ever since really, such a shame to waste such a good piece of land!

Did'nt see raspers post. Of course the cylinder :o You can tell I haven't been on the Prom for a long time.

Mike.

I'm curious when was the Hydro knocked down?

• Advertisement

I cant get an answer to that, the County Library had this to say;
    This building housed a number of baths as well as a restaurant. Built about 1948 it functioned as a baths throughout the 1950s. The building was demolished a few years ago and is now a desolate landscape.

See: http://www.waterfordcountylibrary.ie/library/web;jsessionid=CA213AEE5762430D4D6E2222D088B592?task=Display&art_id=113&pagenum=4

damn shame there isn't more information regarding places like this,

Id know a fair bit of the towns history, from research so if you have questions fire away and ill see if I can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

I was just doing some research on Dail debates and came across this. I didn't know what ''Hydro'' meant. Here's a link to the cebates anyway
    [URL=]http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0111/D.0111.194807070014.html[/url]

I was just doing some research on Dail debates and came across this. I didn't know what ''Hydro'' meant. Here's a link to the cebates anyway
    [URL=]http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0111/D.0111.194807070014.html[/url]

Does'nt work

Mike.

Discover Tramore got a bit of an update, and the gallery has been updated with newer pictures. Im in talks with people to try get some good old ones.

Does'nt work

Mike.

Does for me...
    Mr. Timoney asked the Minister for Industry and Commerce if he will state (a) the name of the person who acted as clerk of works when the Hydro at Tramore was being built; (b) what qualifications he had for the post, and (c) whether the position was advertised in the public Press.

Mr. Morrissey Mr. Morrissey

Mr. Morrissey: Mr. Thomas P. O'Brien acted as clerk of works for the Hydro at Tramore. He is a Bachelor of Engineering, has had considerable experience of building and maintenance works and prior to his appointment as clerk of works held a commission in the Corps of Engineers. Applications for the post were invited by public advertisement in the Press and [2324] 17 applications were received. The appointment was made on the recommendation of the consulting architect.

To avoid the possibility of misunderstanding, it is necessary to state that the Mr. O'Brien who acted as clerk of works is not related to the chairman of the Irish Tourist Board.

Mr. Timoney Mr. Timoney

Mr. Timoney asked the Minister for Industry and Commerce if he will state (a) the name of the supplier of the groceries, soaps, etc., to the hydro at Tramore; (b) the value of such goods supplied to date, and (c) whether the traders in Tramore will be given an opportunity of tendering for these supplies.

Mr. Morrissey: I have been informed that the hydro at Tramore has not yet been officially opened, but is at present being operated on an experimental basis with a small staff. The catering provided consists mainly in the supply of coffee and biscuits to those who attend for baths and treatment, and the expenditure incurred on the purchase of coffee, milk, saccharine and biscuits amounts to about £3. The goods mentioned were bought locally by a member of the staff. No soap has been bought.

As soon as the needs for the future have been determined, it is proposed to invite tenders by advertisement for the supply of groceries, etc., and traders in Tramore will have an opportunity of tendering in competition with any traders elsewhere who may also wish to tender.

Mr. A. Byrne Mr. A. Byrne

Mr. A. Byrne: Where will they get the soap?

Mr. Morrissey: They would have to get the coupons from the Minister first.

Mr. Byrne Mr. Byrne

Mr. Byrne: Will the soap be there for them?

Mr. Morrissey: That is another question.

Mr. Timoney Mr. Timoney

Mr. Timoney asked the Minister for Industry and Commerce if he will state (a) the number of people at present employed on the staff of the hydro, Tramore; (b) the duties performed by each person; (c) the remuneration of each; (d) whether these posts were publicly [2325] advertised, and if not, how were the employees recruited, and (c) what qualifications these persons have for their respective offices.

Mr. Morrissey: The number of employees on the staff of the hydro, Tramore, at present, is seven. The manageress is paid at the rate of £5 a week. A typist and book-keeper is paid £2 a week. A physiotherapist is paid £8 8s. a week. Two bath attendants, one male and one female, are paid £5 10s. a week each. A power plant attendant is paid £3 10s. a week and a female general worker is paid £2 a week. The duties of these employees are indicated by the titles of the posts they hold. Before the appointments were made applications were invited for the posts by advertisement in all the Irish daily papers and in the local papers, and the final appointments were made by selection from the applications received. The persons employed have all had previous professional or practical experience which qualifies them for the duties of the posts they occupy.

Advertisement