Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned School Lunches

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sueme wrote: »
    Funds, its always the same..

When I was at school in London, 300 years ago :p, we were given school lunches in a canteen, and they were the most unhealthy meals possible. I'm sure it wouldn't be the same now, but aside from the inconvienience, I prefer to know what my daughter is eating when shes not with me.
    You haven't seen Jamie's School Dinners then?

Yes, it's all down to funds. Here we are, allegedly one of the richest countries in the world taking the same old approach of providing the most skeletal service possible in all areas of education, health and policing.

As a nation, we're screwed on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Are you telling me that you all, as parents, cannot find 20 minutes in the day to make a lunch that fits in with the schools restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

When I was in school, some kids got chocolate bars, fizzy drinks and so on. I got nutritious food but I was jealous of the others. I'm happy that my child's school now bans junk food because I can give him healthy food and he won't feel he's getting less than the other kids. There's a huge variety of things to give a kid for lunch. Your kids may like things that you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Are you telling me that you all, as parents, cannot find 20 minutes in the day to make a lunch that fits in with the schools restrictions?

What thread are you reading? Because I don't think that's the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunnyjim

no one said that we couldn't find the time to make the lunches - its what goes into the lunches which abides by what the schools wants and what the children want/will eat.

I started the thread originally and having read through all the responses over the days I've been amazed at the level of debate on it all. What I find is that on the one hand some kids love the same thing every day for lunch, some kids love something different (whether it is a pizza slice, toasted sandwich, hot soup or whatever) now and then just for a change. I know I get tired of the same thing all the time. But the problems start when the school sometimes bans foods as it makes things easier for the school and not necessarily for the health of the children. In one of the classes, soup isn't allowed. Its not from a safety point of view, its cos the teacher of that class doesn't like the smell of it. Ok, well and good maybe it might leave a smell in the class for a little while, but so does sardines and tuna which everyone is allowed to eat (but hardly anyone does). Whats wrong with opening the windows a crack to leave in some fresh air!!!

Separately, no matter how hard you try and encourage kids to eat fruit/veg/ sandwiches/etc, there are some kids who will never eat them. With some kids (just as with some adults) you cannot tempt/bribe/force feed, they will not change their diets. Surely, in this case, a lunch of food decided by the school to be "junk" is better than nothing. A child eating nothing for the whole day because the teacher wouldn't allow the child eat "junk" cannot possibly function any more or any less than the child with the full range of sugar laden foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

sueme wrote: »
    Update on Kool Dudes: Apple and Turnip. (Whats with the turnip...?)

If your kids school is one of the ones that bans things on the grounds of smell it is pretty hypocritical. Can you imagine being in a room with 30 kids with turnip farts.:eek:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

iguana wrote: »
    If your kids school is one of the ones that bans things on the grounds of smell it is pretty hypocritical. Can you imagine being in a room with 30 kids with turnip farts.:eek:

;)

oh you've given me my smile for the day thinking about that one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

iguana wrote: »

;)

pml.

Maybe any poor teacher that would be subject to that wouldn't be long throwing out the healthy eating policy.

Advertisement