Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 335i V's Audi A5

Options
  • 17-02-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Two question folks-

BMW 335i or Audi A5 (3.0 TDI quattro)?- Have seen both, A5 better looking but terrible rear passenger room which is something I need, also Irish customers being shafted on extras like leather, air con that is standard in the Uk. 335i better engine (very tunable to give M3 pace), better rear passenger space but again Irish customers shafted on warranty 2 years in Ireland v's 3 in the UK.

Maybe a silly question- If I was to buy the beemer from an Irish dealership could I pay for it before the 1st july (VRT 30%- as opposed to 32% afterwards) and register it after the 1st of july thereby reducing the road tax to 1,000 euros?

As always any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

986s wrote: »
    BMW 335i or Audi A5 (3.0 TDI quattro)?- Have seen both, A5 better looking but terrible rear passenger room which is something I need, also Irish customers being shafted on extras like leather, air con that is standard in the Uk. 335i better engine (very tunable to give M3 pace), better rear passenger space but again Irish customers shafted on warranty 2 years in Ireland v's 3 in the UK.

Climate control is standard on the A5.
    986s wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question- If I was to buy the beemer from an Irish dealership could I pay for it before the 1st july (VRT 30%- as opposed to 32% afterwards) and register it after the 1st of july thereby reducing the road tax to 1,000 euros?

VRT is vehicle registration tax. You pay the rate that's applicable when you register the car. You can't have it both ways.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a rather long thread done on these two cars on this forum recently. Do a search for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Both will have identical rates of tax. There was a thread on this very question, and the person in question bought the BMW.

Though a 335d would cost €600 to tax and be in a lower VRT category if registered in July, but the 335i's engine did win the International engine of the year 2007 over the 335d's engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Looking at similar motors myself. IMO the Audi is slightly better looking, however as you say the rear room is diabolical. I test drove the 335i and the 335d - Give the 335d a shot - serious, serious torque. Its a very fast motor, plus you get the lower tax and better ecomomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭986s

Yes forgot to be more specific - climate control is standard in the A5 but not the 3 area zoned air con (audi price 748 euro) which you get on the BMW.

As regards the 335d, no doubt that it is a very fine car indeed but the lack of a manual gearbox is a dealbreaker though.

You are right I guess I just want the best of both worlds as regards the cheaper purchase price before July and the cheaper road tax after July- it was a silly question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

335i has Dual Zone Climate Control too. I don't think 3 zone is possible in the Bee-Em(you do get electric seats in it though, something you don't get in the Audi I think).

The BMW has no leather which is suicidal really IMO, but it does have autolights and wipers, Xenon headlights, and memory for the drivers' seat, items which are not standard in the A5.(though the A5 has auto dip/dim lights)

Satnav requires iDrive though, something I hate, though the latest version in the 7 series works much better than before but is still quite flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have to laugh sometimes. Houses in this country don't have a/c, yet people are fussing over the car not having three zone climate control, and having "just" climate control instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

The OP asked about the 335i vs A5. Why were people posting about diesels? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Oilrig wrote: »
    The OP asked about the 335i vs A5. Why were people posting about diesels? :confused:

The Audi he asked about was a diesel

Anyway we are just giving comments about similar motors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

I still love the A5 (only on Friday I saw a lovely dolphin grey one) but the interior unless you spend a lot, the handling and the performance is not a patch on the 335i.

I think it's worth digging up the thread I started OP - I have lots of pics in there, LOADS of Boards people gave great advice and it's all there in black and white for you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055137479&highlight=audi+a5+bmw+335

Both lovely cars, I just couldn't ignore the driving enjoyment of the BMW over the Audi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement