Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where do you put your left foot?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I've mentioned this in another thread but didn't get too many satisfactory answers. I often hover my left over the clutch pedal when going up and down through gears because my car is a Ford Fiesta and there is no space to put my foot anywhere else (to the side). Sometimes when I've reached 4th gear, I bend my leg and place my left foot closer to me on the floor although I don't like this because I can't react very quickly with the clutch. In heavy traffic it is a little uncomfortable doing this.

Anyone else with this problem? I hear some cars have a special 'rest' pedal.

Also, can examiners mark you down for hovering even if you are not on the pedal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

j1979p wrote: »
    I've mentioned this in another thread but didn't get too many satisfactory answers. I often hover my left over the clutch pedal when going up and down through gears because my car is a Ford Fiesta and there is no space to put my foot anywhere else (to the side). Sometimes when I've reached 4th gear, I bend my leg and place my left foot closer to me on the floor although I don't like this because I can't react very quickly with the clutch. In heavy traffic it is a little uncomfortable doing this.

Anyone else with this problem? I hear some cars have a special 'rest' pedal.

Also, can examiners mark you down for hovering even if you are not on the pedal?

Leave your foot resting on the clutch. Unless you are resting it very heavily, you will not damage on engage the clutch unnecessarily. You would not be marked down for this action during test either.

The rest pedal is in a lot of cars now (where space permits ) but if you have adopted the habit of resting on the clutch, you will mostlikely keep doing this.

Best of luck ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

You shouldn't really hover, as it's all too easy to end up resting very lightly (almost imperceptibly so) on the clutch pedal, which leads to unnecessary wear and tear on the clutch.

I've never heard of any cars having "rest pedals", but I've never driven high-end cars, so what do I know? :) My current car has a little bit to the side, but I don't know if it's specifically for resting one's foot on, or if it just happens to conveniently serve that purpose. AFAICR my last car (Suzuki Swift) didn't have this though, and where there's nothing though, well, like it or lump it what you do is take your foot off the pedal and put it on the floor. End of.

In heavy traffic where there's going to be a lot of clutch-play you can probably hover, but keeping your foot at an acute enough angle to keep it safely clear of the pedal isn't something that's going to be easy to maintain for any length of time.

Your reactions will get faster, and pretty quickly.

dodzy wrote: »
    Leave your foot resting on the clutch. Unless you are resting it very heavily, you will not damage on engage the clutch unnecessarily. You would not be marked down for this action during test either.

The rest pedal is in a lot of cars now (where space permits ) but if you have adopted the habit of resting on the clutch, you will mostlikely keep doing this.

Best of luck ;-)

That's the worst advice I've ever heard. From everything I've been told that is 100% the LAST EVER thing you should do, and you *will* semi-engage the clutch and damage it. Very slightly perhaps, but AFAIK this is what has happened when you hear of people being "very heavy on the gears/clutch".

Never, ever rest on the clutch. Worst bad habit you can get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Never rest your foot on the clutch. I have been held up over it on my lessons and I sure made that I didnt do it during my test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There's no "rest pedal", but most cars have a place for your foot. However, have a look on the passenger side and see if there's one there. Many cars are basically built as left hand drive and assembled as right hand, so that sometimes things like this might happen. But do not rest your foot on the clutch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Can anyone who does not have this space tell me where they keep their foot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It really depends on the car, what space it has and what you feel comfortable with. When I first drove my current car it was wierd because it's pedals are very close together (easy to clip the accelerator when braking for example) and there was no foot reat by the clutch, even though there was space for one so my foot kind of hung at a wierd angle in mid air. After a while I stopped thinking about it and it's grand now. The more you concentrate on it the harder it'll be to get comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

dodzy wrote: »

Best of luck ;-)

Great advice. I drive like this all the time. What's that burning smell? Is it my clutch or the big hole in my pocket from all the repairs? :D

Don't rest your foot even slightly on the clutch pedal. My car has no space to the left of the pedal so I just put my foot on the floor. You will get used to it in time. In your test if you hover or rest your foot on the clutch, you will very likely get marked for clutch control/coasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If you're not comfortable with hor foot on the floor, and have no space, have your heel on the floor and the front of your foot raised off the clutch pedal.

The only time you should be touching the clutch is when you're using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Can anyone who does not have this space tell me where they keep their foot?
    I have never really thought about this but I find I keep it over the clutch, not on it or touching it with my heal on the ground (I remember my driving instructor drilling this into me, dont rest on the clutch.) However if I don't need to use it, like you know driving along on the straight I'll put my foot under the clutch. I have a micra, no place to the left so only place. It works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Theres a Foot Rest beside my clutch.

bonkey wrote: »
    If you're not comfortable with hor foot on the floor, and have no space, have your heel on the floor and the front of your foot raised off the clutch pedal.
    javaboy wrote:
    My car has no space to the left of the pedal so I just put my foot on the floor.
    amadeus wrote:
    there was no foot reat by the clutch, even though there was space for one so my foot kind of hung at a wierd angle in mid air.
    microgirl wrote:
    like it or lump it what you do is take your foot off the pedal and put it on the floor
    microgirl wrote:
    In heavy traffic where there's going to be a lot of clutch-play you can probably hover
    redcar wrote:
    I keep it over the clutch, not on it or touching it with my heal on the ground

As far as I can tell from the above posts, 2 comments advise placing my foot on the floor or under the clutch and 4 suggest that I can hover/place only my heel on the floor. I do the latter in day to day driving but I am wondering one thing.

Can anybody tell me that they passed by driving a certain way or can anybody tell me they were marked down or failed because of this? I have my test soon and want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can anybody tell me that they passed by driving a certain way or can anybody tell me they were marked down or failed because of this? I have my test soon and want to know!
    I've never driver a car where I had no room for my left foot but if I was doing the test, I wouldn't want to draw the examiner's attention to my foot over the clutch pedal, whether it is pressing it or not.

Put it under it or back from it. ;)

I got into the habit early on of putting my foot on the floor all the time, so I assume that's what I did in my test.

When I talked about "hovering" I'm literally talking for rapid clutch-play, where you're barely in 2nd before you go to 3rd etc. For this I lift my foot right off the clutch and keep it lifted, heel off the floor. Heel on the floor and foot angled away would work too, but certainly for me I find it difficult and painful as the angle needed is quite acute. If there's more than literally 1 - 2 seconds between clutch depressions I put my foot on the floor.

As far as I can tell from the above posts, 2 comments advise placing my foot on the floor or under the clutch and 4 suggest that I can hover/place only my heel on the floor. I do the latter in day to day driving but I am wondering one thing.

I passed my test by putting my foot on the floor when not using the clutch. From the tester's point of view, they can't always tell if your foot is hovering or touching the clutch. They may not give you the benefit of the doubt and you will quickly clock up grade 2 faults. Most reputable instructors will tell you foot on the floor/provided footrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

javaboy wrote: »
    Great advice. I drive like this all the time. What's that burning smell? Is it my clutch or the big hole in my pocket from all the repairs? :D

lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

No foot rest in the car I drive so I just keep my foot on the floor.

microgirl wrote: »
    I got into the habit early on of putting my foot on the floor all the time, so I assume that's what I did in my test.

When I talked about "hovering" I'm literally talking for rapid clutch-play, where you're barely in 2nd before you go to 3rd etc. For this I lift my foot right off the clutch and keep it lifted, heel off the floor. Heel on the floor and foot angled away would work too, but certainly for me I find it difficult and painful as the angle needed is quite acute. If there's more than literally 1 - 2 seconds between clutch depressions I put my foot on the floor.

Fair enough. I don't find it uncomfortable it all. Quite then contrary. I keep my foor angled (not touching) until 4th when I then place it on the floor. If I know I will be downshifting soon (like traffic ahead etc) I will again angle my foot over the pedal. I want to always be ready for downshifts and would feel uncomfortable having to lift my foot a relatively long distance.

Fair enough. I don't find it uncomfortable it all. Quite then contrary. I keep my foor angled (not touching) until 4th when I then place it on the floor. If I know I will be downshifting soon (like traffic ahead etc) I will again angle my foot over the pedal. I want to always be ready for downshifts and would feel uncomfortable having to lift my foot a relatively long distance.

Yeah, that's what I do in day-to-day driving (well, the equivalent, since the angle is difficult for me to reach :)) but for the test I'm not sure what would be best. Probably safest to go with the advice of those here who remember their test :)

microgirl wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I do in day-to-day driving (well, the equivalent, since the angle is difficult for me to reach :)) but for the test I'm not sure what would be best. Probably safest to go with the advice of those here who remember their test :)

OK, thanks microgirl. Still hoping for somebody to post who said that didn't get marked down for this though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OK, thanks microgirl. Still hoping for somebody to post who said that didn't get marked down for this though ;)

Vehicle Controls

An applicant should make proper use of the: - accelerator, clutch, gears, footbrake, handbrake, steering, and secondary controls or a fault may be recorded for ‘Vehicle Controls’ as appropriate. The ‘Technical Checks’ should be demonstrated correctly, as should the coupling/uncoupling exercise, as required, or the appropriate fault should be recorded. Some controls require a degree of co-ordination and should be demonstrated smoothly by the applicant.

Examples of ‘Vehicle Control’ faults include:

(a) Accelerator: not applied properly or at the correct time, or excessive use for the conditions.

(b) Clutch: coasting, i.e. driving for a prolonged distance with the pedal pressed in or sharp engagements causing the vehicle to jerk unnecessarily or resting the foot on the clutch pedal for prolonged periods causing it to slip or attempting to change gears without using the clutch.

(c) Gears: selecting an incorrect gear, or coasting, i.e. driving for some distance in neutral, or driving for a prolonged distance in an incorrect gear.

(d) Footbrake: non application of the footbrake, unnecessarily sharp application or late application for the circumstances.

(e) Handbrake: not applied as appropriate on an incline, or during a prolonged stop in traffic, or being applied before the vehicle has come to a halt, or inadequate application, or attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

i always have my foot hovering over the clutch, did it during my test today and didn't get marked for it

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I always have it on the floor under the clutch, I never touch the clutch unless I am changing gear or stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Exactly how I do it too. I don't have a foot rest.

I'm still waiting on my first driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

or resting the foot on the clutch pedal for prolonged periods causing it to slip

My clutch doesn't slip when I rest my foot on it. So I guess It's alright for me then.

Recently drove a new Toyota MPV the other day. The clutch was so sensitive I had to rest my foot on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I leave my foot on the floor unless I'm gearing up/down. My driving instructor beat that into me! It was to stop coasting when I was learning initially, but I've now found it a good habit to leave my foot on the floor.

(b) Clutch: coasting, i.e. driving for a prolonged distance with the pedal pressed in or sharp engagements causing the vehicle to jerk unnecessarily or resting the foot on the clutch pedal for prolonged periods causing it to slip or attempting to change gears without using the clutch.

I don't think anybody ever thought that resting their foot on the clutch pedal was right (bar perhaps the first replier). And anybody that did sure got that though beat out of them by the more than 50% of replies saying do not rest your foot on the clutch. I understand some peoples anger towards that reply but come on guys, give it a break!

I am more interested in hearing if everybody places their feet on the floor if they have no space to the side.

I don't think anybody ever thought that resting their foot on the clutch pedal was right (bar perhaps the first replier). And anybody that did sure got that though beat out of them by the more than 50% of replies saying do not rest your foot on the clutch. I understand some peoples anger towards that reply but come on guys, give it a break!

I am more interested in hearing if everybody places their feet on the floor if they have no space to the side.

The problem is that if you hover, then a) it may appear to the tester that you are resting your foot and b) it may strain your foot to hold it at that angle for any length of time c) it's a gateway drug to actually resting your foot on the pedal.

Obviously not everybody will place their feet on the floor where there is no space but it is generally recommended.

The problem is that if you hover, then a) it may appear to the tester that you are resting your foot and b) it may strain your foot to hold it at that angle for any length of time c) it's a gateway drug to actually resting your foot on the pedal.

Maybe for some, but like I said, I have no problem with keeping my foot at an angle for extended lengths of time (and normally it is only while climbing up to 4th anyway). Also, I am very conscious about touching the clutch and I never let this happen. It might be tiring after a very long time but I always place my foot on the floor when I reach 4th so I'm not sure and can't say.

I agree that it is a pain for testers as it looks like you 'may' be resting your foot. This is why they might mark you down for this but that's the reason I'm asking. Has anyone any experience of being marked down for this? Were they told?

• Advertisement

Maybe for some, but like I said, I have no problem with keeping my foot at an angle for extended lengths of time (and normally it is only while climbing up to 4th anyway). Also, I am very conscious about touching the clutch and I never let this happen. It might be tiring after a very long time but I always place my foot on the floor when I reach 4th so I'm not sure and can't say.

I agree that it is a pain for testers as it looks like you 'may' be resting your foot. This is why they might mark you down for this but that's the reason I'm asking. Has anyone any experience of being marked down for this? Were they told?

Advertisement