Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear changing before a turn

Options
  • 17-02-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

What way do you change gears when turning a corner?

What way do you change gears when making a turn? 63 votes

Stay in 4th gear around the whole turn and later downshift to accelerate
    0% 0 votes
    Come down 1 gear at a time to 2nd gear before making the turn
    0% 0 votes
    Block-change from 4th to 2nd before making the turn
    55% 35 votes
    Change to 2nd before the turn but keep the clutch depressed throughout the turn
    38% 24 votes
    Stay in 4th gear and depress clutch when turning. Downshift later
    6% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

j1979p wrote: »

Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I change down to second in time before the turn

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Change in to 2nd to take the corner.

When I was learning I was taught to change down through the gears - 4th to 3rd to 2nd - but my friend who learned more recently than me was told he didn't have to change sequentially. That might just have been for coming to a stop at lights though. For turning left though (usually for turning right you have to stop anyway, so it's a moot point) I would say it's safest to come down sequentially. Bottom line though is take the corner in 2nd.

Your instructor should have told you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

microgirl wrote: »
    Your instructor should have told you this.

Yes, I know what I do but I was just asking what other people do. The reason is because I don't believe that the majority of people do it like you say.

To sequentially change down through the gears when coming to a corner, you would need to break, clutch and gear to 3rd, then brake, clutch and gear to 2nd.

Otherwise you would need to just let the car slow down sufficiently then clutch and gear to 3rd, let the engine slow the car down again and clutch and gear to 2nd.

I never see cars doing the former and I don't believe anybody does the latter as I see cars going at 4th gear speeds up to about 80 m before the turn and the I see them braking (and possibly changing to 2nd). There is simply no time to be able to do it sequentially in that space. I don't believe many people change gears sequentially whether it is test-correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I see cars going at 4th gear speeds up to about 80 m before the turn and the I see them braking (and possibly changing to 2nd). There is simply no time to be able to do it sequentially in that space. I don't believe many people change gears sequentially whether it is test-correct or not.
    I think you are over-estimating the time it takes to down shift twice (in a car). I'd say under average speed and conditions it could easily be done in 3 or 4 seconds.

• Advertisement

I just don't think there is any need to be in 3rd gear at all when you will only be travelling about 1 second in that gear. Perhaps this is the reason the tide is turning towards instructing people to block change when coming to a stop or when turning into a 2nd gear corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You do *not* need to drop down through the gears for the test. if anything some instructors will tell you not to do as you won't engage the gears properly and be coasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Yes, I know what I do but I was just asking what other people do. The reason is because I don't believe that the majority of people do it like you say.

To sequentially change down through the gears when coming to a corner, you would need to break, clutch and gear to 3rd, then brake, clutch and gear to 2nd.

Otherwise you would need to just let the car slow down sufficiently then clutch and gear to 3rd, let the engine slow the car down again and clutch and gear to 2nd.

I never see cars doing the former and I don't believe anybody does the latter as I see cars going at 4th gear speeds up to about 80 m before the turn and the I see them braking (and possibly changing to 2nd). There is simply no time to be able to do it sequentially in that space. I don't believe many people change gears sequentially whether it is test-correct or not.

No, you're right, most people probably don't. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that most people out there driving every day wouldn't pass their test in a fit if they were told to take it tomorrow. You get complacent as you get older/more experienced. Doesn't make it right though.

And I second what Wishbone Ash says - once you're used to it it really only takes a second to down-shift twice. Get into the habit of doing it properly, rather than coasting around like most idiots, who then aren't in as much control of their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd come down to what gear would be needed before the turn, usually 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

If one is negotiating a turn at about 20mph, then a block gear change from 4th to 2nd makes driving instructors feel safer (at least, the 2 who instructed me are!) when they know learners' two hands are on the steering wheel most of the time and concentrate on hazard perception skills and progressive braking...

The car doesn't complain - or does yours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

For a turn in a 80kmph or 100kmph zone, I'd go 5th, 4th, 2nd.
    For a turn in a 50kmph zone, I'd go 4th, 3rd, 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

For a turn in a 80kmph or 100kmph zone, I'd go 5th, 4th, 2nd.
    For a turn in a 50kmph zone, I'd go 4th, 3rd, 2nd.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seanom78

Apparently the advanced motorists manual advocates block gear changes (less wear and tear on the engine). if your sole purpose is to get to 2nd from 4th why not go direct from 4th to 2nd. why bother going to 3rd??

I block changed all over the place in my test and passed no worries, got no faults at all with the gears. Id say do what ever suits you, but make sure you are in 2nd (foot off clutch) before you start turning. DO NOT have the clutch pushed down, this is "coasting" and you will get done for this in your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stay in 4th gear around the whole turn and later downshift to accelerate
    Come down 1 gear at a time to 2nd gear before making the turn
    Block-change from 4th to 2nd before making the turn
    Change to 2nd before the turn but keep the clutch depressed throughout the turn
    Stay in 4th gear and depress clutch when turning. Downshift later

Whether you block change or not will probably be a matter of preference but do not do any of the options marked in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Exactly. Slow down and get into 2nd gear before the turn, then get the hell off the clutch when you've finished changing gears and are making the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

Coasting around corners is a bad bad idea, since there's no power going to the wheels, there's a much greater chance of the car sliding or skidding around the corner.

I never usually block change though, I done it once during my first few lessons and my instructor told me it was bad for the engine and gearbox :confused:

Meirleach wrote: »
    Coasting around corners is a bad bad idea, since there's no power going to the wheels, there's a much greater chance of the car sliding or skidding around the corner.

I never usually block change though, I done it once during my first few lessons and my instructor told me it was bad for the engine and gearbox :confused:

Not if it's done correctly (rev matching). I understand that few learners would ever do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

you left out one option - double de-clutch from 4th to second while braking for the corner. Blip throttle during the change to match revs. Requires 'heel and toe' braking. No wear on engine or gearbox as speeds are matched before the cog swopping takes place. Fastest way into and out of corner too, but would probably raise eyebrows if executed during the driving test :D

Don't try this out for the first time on a public road!

Pete67 wrote: »
    you left out one option - double de-clutch from 4th to second while braking for the corner. Blip throttle during the change to match revs. Requires 'heel and toe' braking. No wear on engine or gearbox as speeds are matched before the cog swopping takes place. Fastest way into and out of corner too, but would probably raise eyebrows if executed during the driving test :D

Don't try this out for the first time on a public road!

I didn't leave that out. It comes under block change from 4th to 2nd. Please select this option if it what you do on a regular basis :D

Advertisement