Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route to Glendalough

Options
  • 17-02-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Can anyone suggest a good route from Dun Laoghaire to Glendalough? Also, how safe is cycling on the dual carraige way/motorway?
    Even if you can give me a route to Enniskerry, that's do. I can way my way from there.
    Thanks,
    Donal

Also, anyone know where I could look for a decent second hand racer, like an old 531? Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Lower Glenageary Road, up hill to roundabout at Spar, along cycle track by Honda garage. At next roundabout take 2nd exit, still cycle track signposted N11, continue down Ballybrack dual carriageway to N11, turn left, cycle track through Shankill to Bray. Turn right at Dargle Road (about 200m after Statoil), to N11. Onward for about 500m, turn left onto Herbert Road. Continue here for about 50m. Go onto new footbridge (cycles allowed) crss and road on far side will bring you to Enniskerry.

Alternatively follow that route but instead of going on to Herbert Road continue on N11 to Shell garage in Kilmacanogue and follow signposts to Rondwood and then Glendalough (cutting out Enniskerry). Not a bad cycle but Calary Hill (you'll know it when you get there) is a b*tch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Thanks, Brayblue. That's me sorted. I was hoping to go through Enniskerry, then along the sally gap. I love the hill just after Glencree.

Didn't answer your question fully first time. Obviously we aren't allowed cycle on M11 but I have found the N11 generally OK if you have your wits about you. The worst spot generally around there is if you come back via Kilmacanogue the traffic at the Esso garage can be all over the place but when you exit onto the N11 be very careful of the blue rinse brigade crossing the hatched markings on their way in to Avoca handweavers. Toyota Yaris's stop for nobody!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not to disagree with brayblue but assuming this is for fun, then don't go that way at all. as you say you would like to hit enniskerry, then do it the scenic way. head to deansgrange, go down n11 turn left and head up toward sandyford industrial estate past the racecourse, through the roundabout and up toward m50 cross over the bridge and keep left up murphystown road. when you hit kilgobbin road turn left, head up to stepadside and turn left, from there it is a straight line to enniskerry and a much nicer cycle most of the way, no lights and country roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

copacetic wrote: »
    not to disagree with brayblue but assuming this is for fun, then don't go that way at all. as you say you would like to hit enniskerry, then do it the scenic way. head to deansgrange, go down n11 turn left and head up toward sandyford industrial estate past the racecourse, through the roundabout and up toward m50 cross over the bridge and keep left up murphystown road. when you hit kilgobbin road turn left, head up to stepadside and turn left, from there it is a straight line to enniskerry and a much nicer cycle most of the way, no lights and country roads..
    I have to disagree. I would avoid the industrial estate & Leopardstown roundabout like the plague. Head out the N11 to Loughlinstown, and then turn up by the Silver Tassie pub. This will bring you straight out onto the Enniskerry Road on a nice quiet scenic route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Did this the other way around on a Santa Cruz Bullit with big knoblies, feic me I was wrecked.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have to disagree. I would avoid the industrial estate & Leopardstown roundabout like the plague. Head out the N11 to Loughlinstown, and then turn up by the Silver Tassie pub. This will bring you straight out onto the Enniskerry Road on a nice quiet scenic route.

why? you don't actually go into the estate and the time on the road is only 2 miles or so, 90% of it on a cycle lane. i.e much less time on a busy road than your route imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any of those routes to Eniskerry are fine but the Silver Tassie option is most direct and probably most pleasant. Leopardstown is fine (I work in Sandyford and cycle from here often) but not very direct from Dun Laoghaire. I often cycle a lunchtime loop from Sandyford that involves coming back on the N11 and the portion between Eniskerry and the Silver Tassie is pleasant, quiet roads.

That's Ballycorus Road. Funny, I only posted a new thread yesterday about that road and how pleasant it is to cycle on. (and the speeds you can get up to!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not quite, Ballycorus is the big yellow one that comes out of Kilternan, by the side of the garage. The one on my map there comes off just at the right of the petrol station on the Eniskerry triangle and goes past the transplanted Dun Laoghaire Golf Course. I cycle down Ballycorus Road sometimes for a slightly shorter loop; better surface IIRC until the sweep into Rathmichael.

Currently I aim for a lunchtime loop around by Johnny Foxes as there is a bit more climbing and it avoids the N11 on the way back. Glencullen Road down to Kilternan (coming out basically opposite Ballycorus Road) is pretty steep and speeds in excess of 80 are to be had. The steepest bit has a fair number of driveways coming off though which I'd be a bit cagey about.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

slight modification/suggestion

if going from dun laoghaire, go along coast up past back of killiney hill, left at the small roundabout down a nice hill which brings you to shankill.

nice views, climb and descent and generally alright for traffic. just watch out for cars pulling out of driveways on the drop to shankill.

blorg wrote: »
    Not quite, Ballycorus is the big yellow one that comes out of Kilternan, by the side of the garage. The one on my map there comes off just at the right of the petrol station on the Eniskerry triangle and goes past the transplanted Dun Laoghaire Golf Course.

Ah, that would be Ballyman Road. If you turn right at the bottom of that onto Ferndale Road there is a short but steep climb past Maddocks garage. Go on to the N11 and use the new footbridge on Herbert Road to go back to Enniskerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Advertisement