Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will do repairs?

• 17-02-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I need help. Im new to this and have a van in trouble. I am not mechanically minded and need someone to fix things when they go wrong. Who will do it? Toilet that wont flush and water that wont come out of the taps.{Colman pump} All was well the last time we were out but not any more. I dont know is it a mechanic or a magician I need. I am in tipperary so if anyone has any suggestions.

We were all set to hit the road next weekend but these things put a dampner on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

01 8251364, the motorcaravan club of Ireland. In Clonee MH, they'll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tibbiann

Thank you. At least it is a start. At least you can get a mechanic if there is a problem with the engin. But what do you need to solve my problems. There is a lot of very technically minded people but not me. I would do more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In Tipperary there's PatHoran motorhomes (Borrisikane) who might be able to help. In Carraigh (Near Birr) there's Turners that used to do conversions, don't know if they still do. Anchor Point in Limerick may also be able to help.

I dont know if the MotorCaravan club will help if you dont have a membership with them.

Sounds like your pump is a problem, does it make any noise when you open taps/flush toilet?

Hello. Thanks for reply.

I was thinking about Pat Horan. The water pump does make a noise when you turn on the tap but no water. tried to clean the pump with a cloth in case it was blocked with something but no joy. Cant get at the pumb it is in water tank and can just barely see it.

The toilet is on a separate water in take and when button pressed for flush nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As stapeler said, have you tried to narrow the problem down?

Is the pump working at all, is it getting current, is it getting water?

(remember ...in the current weather it (the water) could simply be frozen in the line somewhere or apipe could have burst because of frost)

EDIT ..just saw your post above ...so the pump does work (it makes a noise anyway) so either your pump is not pumping, just making noise, or you have a problem in the water pipes.

• Advertisement

I had all the water drained {hopefully} That was the good advice I picked up from the Boards. The pump sounds like it is working when the tap is turned on but no water even though the tank was half filled.

ahhh ...some pumps, especially submersible ones, have problems priming themselves after falling dry.

Fish the pump out of the tank, get someone else to open a tap (this switches on the pump) and try "bottle feeding" it some water. Depending on the make of your pump you might have to disconnect a pipe and squirt some water directly into it ...this may do the trick .

EDIT ...actually try shaking it vigorously first before you start messing around with water. Take the pump assembly by the tubing and shake it up and down in the tank while it is submersed in water and running ...if that doesn't help, try the "bottle feeding" suggestion

Thanks Peasant. I have tried the shaking, no joy. Cant get pump out as pipes dont estend to the opening I use. I can just move it around but cant get a good look at it. I think you might have the reason. I had a problem like that last year with our other van but that pump just dropped into the water container when we parked up so was easily accessed.

worst case scenario you just drive up to one of the addresses mentioned above and get a new pump fitted, shouldn't cost the world.

Update. Bought pump on ebay for €4 and would you believe it I fitted it myself and no problems since. If I can do it anyone can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Good stuff......well done

You will find over time that alot of jobs in the back of the wagon can be sorted reasonably handily

Have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 champer

THere is a guy in Latin which is around the Limerick / Tipp border called Willie Mulcrone. He is a crash repair guy for campers (hopefullly we will never need to see him) anyway he has also built his own campers and is very handy. I dont think he does too much with the insides but he would certainly tell you what to do if he knew.
    Actually I just googled hi and his number is 061 382488.
    Hope this is a bit of help:D

Advertisement