Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do your parents compare you to siblings? (or anyone else if you're an only child)

Options
  • 17-02-2008 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I'm just curious, with relation to school and the lc, how many people's parents compare them with their siblings?
    Like telling them to study, saying how "sibling" was this time last year, all day long!! My parents don't really do it, they did for jc, but when I got higher marks than my sister, withouth hours of study every night, they kinda backed off for this year.
    I've noticed my girlfriend's parents are - they told her if she doesn't get more than her older brother and sister, she's repeating (they got 470~480) and they're the kind of people that would gladly make her repeat.

Just wondering the kind of stresses and pressures people get from home.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think coverage of that terrible case last year of the girl who died by being hit by a DART may have made many parents think twice about comparing children, if they were prone to in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

My parents try not to pressure me at all cause they think I'm a suicide risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

A friend of mine ended her life last year in the middle of the leavin cert very upsetting. dont end up doing that to your family and friends man

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Yikes such a depressing thread.. I cant believe parents out there are so blind and idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Yeah the parents werent completly to blame though it was the level that was expected of her by her closer friends, teachers and parents....we are all to blame cant just blame parents man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Parents shouldn't be comparing their children for many an obvious reason.

The only person you really need to compete with in the Leaving Cert is yourself: anyone beyond that is just for good sport. If you do better/worse than your friend it really amounts to as much as the outcome of a video game. Beating your own expectations however, is just golden :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Ya the same thing kinda happened me.I was pressured so much for the Junior Cert because apparently i wasnt doing very much work.I ended up getting the same as my sister who had been doing work non stop so theyve stoped this year!

When I did my Leaving my parents put some pressur eon me to study and do well but never compared me to anyone. Some of my relatives did and still constantly compare me to people they know, and one recently told me I was wasting my life pursueing my dream to make films.

I know of one family where the parents turned the kids into mindles academic freaks who spent their entire youths studying. They were'nt allowed to go out on the weekends, not even to the cinema or to meet friends in town. In college they were only given enough money to pay for school and to feed themselve. One Friday the parents drove to Galway from Ballina because they had rang and a roommate told them their son had gone to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

When I did my Leaving my parents put some pressur eon me to study and do well but never compared me to anyone. Some of my relatives did and still constantly compare me to people they know, and one recently told me I was wasting my life pursueing my dream to make films.

I know of one family where the parents turned the kids into mindles academic freaks who spent their entire youths studying. They were'nt allowed to go out on the weekends, not even to the cinema or to meet friends in town. In college they were only given enough money to pay for school and to feed themselve. One Friday the parents drove to Galway from Ballina because they had rang and a roommate told them their son had gone to the cinema.

Now that sort of thing infuriates me. And the bit about people wasting your life making films - argh!
    Luckily my parents aren't bad really, and would rarely compare me to my sister.

Advertisement