Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What toys have provided entertainment for your kids?

Options
  • 17-02-2008 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

What toys have amused your children most?

Often the less obvious amuse more.

I will start the ball rolling by list of few I have found good.

1. Rollerblades
    2. Wooden train tracks (Brio)
    3. Playstation
    4. Kapla (!) Big suprise this one. Simple wooden building blocks. Big hit for all ages.

...toys that need batteries are a pain in the bum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

For my toddler

Garage,
    Football,
    His Drum Kit,

For my 8 yr old

Her trampoline,
    Her Go Kart,
    Bratz dolls,
    Paint,

and books my dd loves to read,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My 7 year old loves:

Office Stationary such as:

Lever Arch Files
    Clip Boards
    Reams of Paper
    Post it Notes
    "Proper" Pens
    Stapler
    Hole Punch
    Laminator
    Desk
    Diary
    Highlighter Pens

She has a V-Tech Laptop - she looks at it like this - :rolleyes:.
    She looks at my laptop like this - :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

For my 2y/o daughter:

Littlest pets(sp?)
    Toy prams/dolls
    fridge contents:(

For my 5y/o daughter:

Bratz dolls
    V-smile
    nintendo ds
    drawing and painting

^^ moreoften than not the two girls will wind up playing with the packaging from the toys (making cardboard masks ect.) for the first day or two:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

sueme wrote: »
    My 7 year old loves:

Office Stationary such as:

Lever Arch Files
    Clip Boards
    Reams of Paper
    Post it Notes
    "Proper" Pens
    Stapler
    Hole Punch
    Laminator
    Desk
    Diary
    Highlighter Pens

She has a V-Tech Laptop - she looks at it like this - :rolleyes:.
    She looks at my laptop like this - :D.

:D My 5 year old is exactly the same... she's obsessed with my stationary drawer and my pens/ pencils frequently go missing :confused: I would add chalks, paints, sellotape and glue to that list. Dolls of any sort are a big no no.... horrible things:p

For my 3 year old as long as he has something with wheels he's happy but the best investment was a car mat.. one of those foam jobbies that you put together like a jigsaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

CSU wrote: »
    For my 2y/o daughter:

Toy prams/dolls
    fridge contents:(

ha ha love that my 20 month old, would much rather raid the fridge and see what goodies she can find, than play with toys...

Ha ha but she loves her prams / dolls and anything that has disney princess on it.... (shes fascinated):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum and childminder the most used toy has got to be the Thomas The Tank Wooden Trainset. There isn't any fighting over it and they all share and get great enjoyment out of it.

Other good things have been the trampoline, footballs and rugby balls, hurley and sliotars.

Among the older children it's the pool table, also air hockey table.

Water guns and water balloons are a big hit in the summer, pain in the bum having more wet clothes to launder though and having to mop up the wet foot marks that end up indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Street chalk.

deisemum wrote: »
    Water guns and water balloons are a big hit in the summer, pain in the bum having more wet clothes to launder though and having to mop up the wet foot marks that end up indoors

I have been known to take up sniper position in my upstairs window with a water gun. The large increase in washing should put me off, but I can't resist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

11 month old neice loves "Brightlings" and 10 month old nephew loves his Winnie the Pooh Sit and ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

sueme wrote: »
    I have been known to take up sniper position in my upstairs window with a water gun. The large increase in washing should put me off, but I can't resist. :D

So have I :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I use waterballoons rather then sniping with a water gun :)

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I use waterballoons rather then sniping with a water gun :)

Major tactical error there Thae, waterballoons are your hand grenades, water guns are your AK47s.

All good clean fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

HB Jr I (5 years)
    Ride-on jeep that he had from he was 1 to 3. Got too big for it. Rode it every day, rain or shine.
    If I wanted to keep him occupied for an entire day (not that I would) I could give him a stack of paper & his pencils, markers, paints & scissors. He'd be happy as the proverbial pig. He absolutely loves arty stuff.

HB Jr II (1 year)
    Anything that he can pick up in his meaty little fist & throw or kick across the floor. (This lad is going to be trouble. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Both kids and adults have great fun with mega sketcher here!

7yo girl loves arty stuff colors paper etc

4 yo boy loves his bike dinkyies (cant wait til he get sick of them soooo sore when walked on in bare feet!) and nintendo ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Can only speak for girls

Whiteboard and whiteboard markers (blackboard and chalk are alien to children). Great for playing school but also pictionary/noughts and crosses/hangman etc.

Dolls house furniture (but not dolls house)

Art stuff, pipe cleaners, glitter etc.

Draughts

Books

baby born and her ilk phase lasted quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My 6mth old has so many rattles, light up toys, squeeky things, bright coloured plastic toys....every bloody thing you can think of for that age.......and all he wants to do is scrunch up paper and rip it to bits, that or suck on the tags on his teddys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

old favourite is lego - from 13 yrs old down to the 8 yr old. never runs out of batteries, always keeps them amused but hate it when I step on a piece in my bare feet - ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I'd second Lego as the best ever. I never minded spending money on it. Jenga too is another great one.

Advertisement