Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bb provider blocking web page ??

Options
  • 17-02-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

is it possible that ice bb are blocking www.speedtest.net ? any other site i google opens straight away but since i rang to complain about my speed last week and told them the page i did my speedtest on i havent been able to open it :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

It works with my DSL connection - I doubt they'd go to the trouble of blocking it but you never know with Ice.
    Did you try Irishisptest.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I'm an ICE customer also and I can't get speedtest to work either.......I was thinking the same thing, are ICE childish enough to block it? I hope not.
    BTW it works on my dial up just not my ICE connection......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Try going to it by IP:

If you can get to it by IP then they might have blocked sites with speedtest in their name. Using OpenDNS might solve that problem instead of Ice's DNS server.
    Or if the above doesn't work, they probably blocked the IP address or something like that.

You could try irishisptest instead or any number of other speedtest sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

It seems strange the a couple of Ice customers can't access speedtest, if they are doing it on purpose it would be the lowest of the low.
    I'd also consider it an admission of guilt on their part, still I don't think they'd intentionally block a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I tried the ip address route, still no joy, also I know of other ICE customers that have the same issue, coincidental?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

could be your DNS servers try http://www.opendns.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well I'll put it this way.

If everyone not on Ice can access the site and everyone on Ice can't, it doesn't look good.

They are either having problems or blocking it. Try ringing them or emailing them to let them know and ask them are they having any problems. If they say they aren't having problems then ask them why they are blocking speedtest.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

brim4brim wrote: »

If everyone not on Ice can access the site and everyone on Ice can't, it doesn't look good.

They are either having problems or blocking it. Try ringing them or emailing them to let them know and ask them are they having any problems. If they say they aren't having problems then ask them why they are blocking speedtest.net.

I rang them earlier and they said they can't do it, but I said that my Ice connection wont let me access speedtest.net, but my o2 BB can.:confused:
    Then the girl rang the boss, and he said the same that they can't block it, I then told her Mr. 'cough' Rooney is welcome to come to me teach and I'll gladly show him.:mad:

236351003.png

51522.jpg

If this isnt proof what the hell do we need to show them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

wba88 wrote: »

Sorry WBA88, but we don't need another test provider, its the fact that a certain ISP is most probably blocking this service.

51523.jpg

PS - before someone sheads a tear, they're not really dead, but they are to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

brim4brim wrote: »

well there are two people having trouble here, its not as if it everyone

its quite strange though, do you know many other ICE users?

is ICE fixed wireless or DSL?

event wrote: »
    well there are two people having trouble here, its not as if it everyone

its quite strange though, do you know many other ICE users?

is ICE fixed wireless or DSL?

Sorry for jumping in, but

Ice is fixed wireless, and seems as if most people in county Kildare are having this problem.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

sorry i just thought you wanted to see whether or not they were giving you bad quality BB

wba88 wrote: »
    sorry i just thought you wanted to see whether or not they were giving you bad quality BB

They are in a way. To me its more bad quality of service. I'd get a few days of good service, then bang, it's gone or slowed right down. Now I can't get on to speedtest.net via Ice, and as said I can with O2. This is not really a big deal, but its an addition to the crap I and many others are putting up with.

PS - I wasnt having a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

On Ice here too and regularly cant get to speedtest.net.

I would think if they have been blocking it, they will unblock it now that they've been rumbled.

Dont be surprised if its blocked again when they go back to dialup speeds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

just checked speedtest.net (I'm on BT Broadband) and it works fine. So the problem must be with ICE Broadband.

If your ISP is blocking this site intentionally, then they must suck beyond belief.

Just been allowed back on to speedtest.net via Ice.

Speeds are crap though, pings a joke too.

Advertisement