Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heavy Traffic

Options
  • 18-02-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I've had 9 lessons now with my instructor and I've been doing grand. I'm absolutely fine on the open road and got the hang of fairly quiet to medium traffic weeks ago. However, I live in a busy city and so far, he's refused to take me into heavier traffic even though I'm ready for progression. My instructor has a dual-control car and I really want to get some experience under my belt before I try it out in my own car.

As things stand, I've never been second in a queue at traffic lights or even at roundabouts and he's steadfastly avoided taking me into heavier traffic, which is where I need the experience. I'm really getting sick of being fobbed off on this matter.

Anyone got any advice as to what I should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Yes, listen to your instructor.

He's the expert and - while you might feel you are ready to tackle inner city Cork in a car - he knows the ropes. If he's not taking you in then there is a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I don't cut out. I haven't nearly hit anything. I change gears perfectly. I don't coast. I'm in the right lanes. And he still hasn't shown me anything new in the last two lessons.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

0_o i got taken into heavy traffic on like my third lesson, he didn't even really warn me either. It was easy pz, I was driving on my own by my fifth lesson. Nine lessons is damn excessive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah that is pretty strange... just say it to him.

Wouldnt be too rare for people to be out in heavy traffic on their first few lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It's probably nothing to do with your technical control of the car (stalling or whatever) and more to do with your general observation. For example driving in busy traffic means that you need to be concentrating on what's going on around you rather than on controlling the car (which you should be able to do almost without thinking before going into busy traffic). So if - for example - he sees you visually checking the gear lever before changing gear he's going to give you time to learn how to drive without needing to glance down at it.

Or it might be that he wants to get all the maneuvers (reversing round corner, etc) sorted before taking you into traffic so that that is the final step before the test.

And while you might not feel you are progressing part of the point of lessons is supervised practice - you won't always be learning new stuff. Does the instructor have a good reputation? A good pass rate? If so then it's unlikely they are deliberately holding you back. Have you asked them why no traffic yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement