Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz club in Manhattan?

• 18-02-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be in Manhattan for a week in April and wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a good Jazz club to visit based on personal experience?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

the lincoln centre, say roy hanes there last summer, really good gig, cool venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The Bleu Note, Birdland and the Knitting Factory would be worth checking out IMO. The latter would not generally be mainstream but more avant garde or contempory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Mairt wrote: »
    I'll be in Manhattan for a week in April and wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a good Jazz club to visit based on personal experience?.
    Some of the world's best jazz venues are in New York, enjoy! Check out the above suggestions, I know I'd be heading for Birdland myself. A friend of mine was there last year and met Ron Carter :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guys, thanks for the recommends. I've looked 'em up on google and hopefully I'll get the chance to visit them.

I'm only beginning my Jazz journey in the last 12 months and have a huge appetite for it.

thanks again, and if I get the chance to visit those listed above I'll post my experience of course.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

John Zorn has a venue called The Stone. It is on the corner of Avenue C and 2nd street.

It is mostly focussed on improv and free jazz but each month has a new curator so could be anything.

Check it out at http://www.thestonenyc.com

Jon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I checked out Birdland online but it doesn't make it clear if I can just show up at the door or do I need to make a reservation?.

I'll be staying on 42st so this would be fantastic for me.

Advertisement