Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who was/is the greatest kerry musician?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Who would you think was/is the greatest kerry musician of any genre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Can I pick me? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

The late great Christy Hennessy I guess.
    Although another Tralee ' Christy' legend features a few times on youtube:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Padraig O'Keefe or Con Curtin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Sorry for being rude but I never heard of either! Have you any info on them??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Seinas wrote: »
    Padraig O'Keefe or Con Curtin?
    iI think they were violin and accordian players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Rory O'Brien, guitarist for Ten Past Seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

Who would you think was/is the greatest kerry musician of any genre?

The Late Christy Hennessy, (yes, I did know him, when he rode up Boherbee on his bicycle delivering messages from Deadys shop in Moyderwell.

D.J. Curtin rates up there in my list, his brothers
    Alfie, John and Billy
    I had a huge crush on Alfie.

The Kerry Blues playing in The Brandon , those where the nights

I guess it all depends on what type of music you like.
    Listened to Radio Kerry today. They had a great accordian player on
    Maura Begley show.
    Don't know his name but boy, could he play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Sorry for being rude but I never heard of either! Have you any info on them??

you're not from kerry no?? not heard of the Padraig O Keefe festival in Castleisland or the Con Curtin Festival in Brosna??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

there's a guy by the name of LiamOConnor www.liamoconnormusic.com who hails from cork but we claim him as our own in kerry he is so good. Not a abd performance show by him either. Anyone know or have seen him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

It has to be James Kennedy.

• Advertisement

Yes, that man is a genius, very underrated, you should see the guy play fretless bass....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

tyther wrote: »

where could one hear/see this guy in action in kerry these days?

Last time i saw him was when he launched his album in the greyhound bar about a year or so ago. i think the album is called "avatar", lee records and roxys had it in stock, not sure if its there now.

Im told that he is playing a gig in the greyhound soon, il try and find out more details and post them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kerry4sam wrote: »
    there's a guy by the name of LiamOConnor www.liamoconnormusic.com who hails from cork but we claim him as our own in kerry he is so good. Not a abd performance show by him either. Anyone know or have seen him ?
    I presume he is the same Liam o' Connor who featured in the Christie Hennessey program last night (Sunday 16/03) on RTE 1 . According to that program he sang/played a duet with Christie on his last album.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    where could one hear/see this guy in action in kerry these days?

His band are playing in the greyhound in Tralee on the 22nd of april at 9. http://www.amarumusic.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

Tim is a great ballad singer, and must be up there with the best

His band are playing in the greyhound in Tralee on the 22nd of april at 9. http://www.amarumusic.net/
    Thanks for that, i must try and make it!!

Thanks for that, i must try and make it!!

I was hust checking the calender though and it would seem that the 22nd of april is a tue,so i have no idea what day its actuly on.

Did anyone actually get to that gig? I hadnt the time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

I will have to agree with you there definitely Kerry's most talented musician, thoroughly recommend picking up a copy of his latest album 'suma aru' amazing mellow dub stuff.

Ekels wrote: »
    Rory O'Brien, guitarist for Ten Past Seven.

10past7 get my vote for Kerry finest band hands down, even if the don't live around here no more [ but i wont hold that against them if they had stayed around here they would be doing covers of frames song or ballads by now !]

There is also another few guys from Killarney in a band called helliopause who are mind blowing and ones to keep your eyes on, must be something in the water out that way.

Advertisement