Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you support who you do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I liked Norwich circa Jeremy Goss's golden age then a friend of mine in school about 2nd class introduced me to Newcastle, i liked the Black and white stripes. I've grumbled and ignored and wandered in my affections but its Newcastle for me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's all about exposure at a young age. City were the first club side I really saw so that's why I got into them.
    Funnily enough I didn't develop an interest in (watching) football until I was about 10, but before that the only English teams I had heard of were Liverpool, Everton and... City.

I can't remember why I started supporting Arsenal. It's all a bit foggy. I have vague memories of stuff like watching Norwich City in the UEFA cup in 92/93 and the earliest Arsenal game I can recall was the FA cup final against Sheffield Wednesday in 1993, my parents were out so I stayed up late and managed to experience the novelty of seeing a full football match on TV... Merson was great to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lived in Barcelona as a kid... Went to numerous games as a child, saw the rise and fall of the dream team (although I was pretty young so I dont appreciate it as much as now)... Im also 1/2 Catalan...Guardiola is still my hero, enough said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was always more of a person who watched football without the need of following a team religously.

My first team was probably Aston Villa/Celtic, but I had no knowledge about football except knowing the Irish team and Roberto Baggio.

I have 'supported' Roma since I think 1997, along with Real Madrid(although my love for them sort of vanished over the years)

.I have 'supported' Roma since I think 1997, along with Real Madrid(although my love for them sort of vanished over the years)

Oh, so who are you rooting for tomorrow night? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

eZe^ wrote: »
    Lived in Barcelona as a kid... Went to numerous games as a child, saw the rise and fall of the dream team (although I was pretty young so I dont appreciate it as much as now)... Im also 1/2 Catalan...Guardiola is still my hero, enough said...

One of mine too and I met him 2 weeks ago:)

I was over for the Osasuna game and took in the Barcelona B game beforehand. I had no idea Guardiola managed them and was awestruck when I saw him coming out and taking his place on the bench. I took up a seat behind the dug outs and was on Guardiola watch for most of the game:D

After the game I managed to have a short chat with him and got a photo of the 2 of us together...absolutely made the trip for me!

...BTW I love Barcelona, my favourite city by a distance. Have always followed Barcelona since the dream team, but I imagine I'd be an absolute Barca nut if I actually ever lived there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unsurprisely enough for a child growing up in Dublin in the '70s & '80s, I supported an English team... Man Utd.

In the late '80s I moved to Waterford and went to Waterford United a bit where I experienced live football in Ireland (outside of the AUL with Ballymun United) with a Celtic daft Donegaler. Moved to Bolton and went to Burnden Park, Old Trafford and Celtic Park for about 2 seasons. I moved to Glasgow and their was only one team to go to then... Partick This Celtic. I had a season ticket for Celtic for about 9 years. I loved going to live games especially the away ones .

So after all that it is Celtic for me :)

Edit: I had an uncle in Dublin in the '70s & '80s who used to get the bus to Glasgow via the Belfast-Stranraer ferry every 2 weeks for the Celtic games. We all thought he was mad but now I can understand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hahahahah....Roma clearly. I loved Real when they had Savio and Redondo. When I went to the Nou Camp two years ago(in the middle of the summer) it changed my outlook completely. Even though I started to prefer Barca as in the players, I prefered Real Madrid for what it stood for(I didn't know what it stood for), but I was blown away during my visit on that summer day.

My sister was convinced she spotted Lionel in the shower after she lurked behind a curtain. The Barcelona staff to their disgust yelled at us, so we scurried off without being sure.

I prefered Real Madrid for what it stood for(I didn't know what it stood for)

My dad would tell me the terrible stories about the oppression of the catalan people during the civil war, and how Franco intimidated the barca team in madrid barca copa del rey game, Madrid ended up winning that game 11-1 or something. (My memory on thats hazy though, so dont quote it as gospel truth!)

I dont harbor any real hatred for them now, I respect them and their fans. Seeing Messi in the shower, thats a bold claim to fame!!!

Nunu wrote: »
    One of mine too and I met him 2 weeks ago:)

I was over for the Osasuna game and took in the Barcelona B game beforehand. I had no idea Guardiola managed them and was awestruck when I saw him coming out and taking his place on the bench. I took up a seat behind the dug outs and was on Guardiola watch for most of the game:D

After the game I managed to have a short chat with him and got a photo of the 2 of us together...absolutely made the trip for me!

...BTW I love Barcelona, my favourite city by a distance. Have always followed Barcelona since the dream team, but I imagine I'd be an absolute Barca nut if I actually ever lived there.

Thats an absolutely amazing story... I havent been to the Mini Estadi in so long, I was gonna go to see a game before the Madrid match a couple of months ago (cant remember who they were playing), but it was raining and I got caught chatting to some Barca fans from England down La Rambla.

What was he like in person? I bet he's the nicest guy ever, he is my hero.. =P

That was completely off topic, so apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

eZe^ wrote: »

Thats an absolutely amazing story... I havent been to the Mini Estadi in so long, I was gonna go to see a game before the Madrid match a couple of months ago (cant remember who they were playing), but it was raining and I got caught chatting to some Barca fans from England down La Rambla.

What was he like in person? I bet he's the nicest guy ever, he is my hero.. =P

That was completely off topic, so apologies.

Ye, the fact that he gave me the time of day makes him a nice guy in my book, but it was literally just a 2 minute chat conducted in broken english and spanish:D ...if I can figure out how to get the photo off my mobile phone I'll post it up...I also took a few photos of him in managerial mode on the touchline:D

Edit: not the greatest pic, I had to take it myself, but the 2 of us are in it so job done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I support Manchester United for 2 reasons. 1 alot more than the other.

My Dad was a crazy football fan and i thought it was ****. I knew he loved his Leeds, so, feely like a cheeky 4 year old i said "Dad, who do you hate the most?" Of course his answer was Man United so they are who i pretended to support for about 2 years.

When i was 6 i still thought football was crap. But my brother, then a United fan, now he just likes Irish players to do well, told me that Eric Cantona was a ninja (following the kung-fu kick) and i was immediatley interested. I watched videos and games waiting for ninja skills but the football from the chap with his collar up shocked me. I was moved by Cantona. Had he not have been at United i would support someone else. After Cantona retired i began properly loving the club and have ever since.

Funny story, my mate is a die-hard Liverpool fan, hes got a Liver bird tatooed on his arm... But he used to support United! I know a whole load of people who claim to love their club but used to follow others and i cant get my head around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My brother supported Man Utd and told me Freddy Krueger comes after people who don't support them. Me being young and naive and scared sh-itless after watching Nightmare on elm street obliged

Thankgod otherwise I would of went for Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I am a hard up blue nose, since about 1987 when I saw them mentioned on rte (cue the final countdown) after beating coventry in the charity shield courtsey of a wayne clark goal.

my 1st vivid memory is watching them beat liverpool 1 nil (1988?) ending pools unbeaten run, (that man clarke again) i remember it like yesterday , the pub was full to the doors, smoke everywhere, i was sitting on the pool (no pun intended) table and was young and was instantly captivated into all things blue......

i am now quite a famous toffee and got my picture in a programme a few seasons ago next to a town in the middle of nowhere in australia...called Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

LOL... that's a good enough reason I think Unearthly :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was raised a Man Utd fan by my dad, dropped away from supporting them when he brought me to my first Shels game in 2003 at the age of 13 and now they are a passion to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

im a utd fan, brought up with utd fans, my dad and uncle, loved the way they played and that midfielder was a legend!! (it is tru, i saw keano for ireland b4 iwas a proper utd supporter and thaught he was so cool i went to utd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liverpool fan because the first game I saw on telly was Liverpool v Arsenal on The Bag Match back in the early eighties.. I like the Arsenal shirts, cheered for them,they lost. I was nine so I decided to follow Liverpool. If Arsenal won, I'd probably be an arsenal fan today. If I'd switched on ten minutes later, I probably be a Wolves or Notts Forest fan today.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Support Watford due to me dad being from there.

Got into the Eircom League when Rovers moved in to Morton Stadium.
    I used to go to the odd game and took a liking to the League but for some reason not Rovers(don't know why).

Went along to see a Shels game down in Tolka when Rovers moved out of Morton and I took a real linking to them.
    Tis why I support them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Chelsea.

Because of Zola

...then I got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Man City fan since the day I was born I guess. Da and brother both City fans and no choice in who I supported! My brother is named after Colin Bell, I was to be called Francis after Franny Lee but then the pope paid Ireland a visit a few weeks before I was born and put paid to that idea. Thank Christ. Wouldn't swap City for any other team, its been an emotional experience following them up and down the divisons and not having one bit of silverware to show for it. I am City Till I Die!

• Advertisement
Advertisement