Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the odds!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I wonder will he keep his tv jobs. Can you really have someone who has money issues talking about gambling???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I wonder will he keep his tv jobs. Can you really have someone who has money issues talking about gambling???

I don't see why not - why would his bankruptcy have any bearing on his ability to report price moves from the ring etc? Whether the BBC agree with me or not is a different matter.

As an aside, he never struck me as particularly clued-in or insightful in his thought processes regarding gambling, I know he got one or two mega scores (100,000K+ sterling) around the time he first came to public attention as Statto, but he may be a warning example for all of us of someone who got lucky early and believed he was cleverer than he is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I suppose it depends on how he got into money troubles - the article doesn't expand on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

It will make the BBC a little uncomfortable for sure - who wants their resident 'betting expert' being declared bankrupt? It'd be kinda similar to a financial advisor being declared bankrupt and still handling your portfolio, if he cant sort out his own business why trust him with yours!

Btw the natural assumption here has to be the bankrupcy is gambling related. It might be 2 + 2 = 5 but it's a fair assumption imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely Lawro will now take his post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

ANGUS LOUGHRAN, who plans to be at Cheltenham this week, was forced into bankruptcy by spread-betting firm Sporting Index.

BBC racing's betting expert, who has made numerous promotional appearances for Sporting Index, was declared insolvent last month over a debt that Manchester County Court papers reveal originally amounted to £5,700.

Loughran, 42, known to millions of sports fans as 'Statto', was subsequently dropped from their coverage of Ascot and Haydock on February 17, the last time BBC showed live racing, but he is confident of being back on screen at next month's Grand National meeting.

Bookmakers resort to bankruptcy proceedings as a last resort, and it must be presumed every effort was made to contact Loughran, and work out a repayment plan, before legal action was taken.
    Loughran, speaking on Sunday at Bristol Rovers' FA Cup tie with West Brom, said: "I'm working with administrators to get myself into a position whereby things can be sorted out so that I can get myself up and running as soon as possible.

“There are a lot of procedures involved, but I'm still very hopeful of having it resolved in time to work for the BBC at Aintree.

"I'm looking forward to Cheltenham, and what's happened has been a blow, but I'm a strong enough character to want to bounce back and I intend to."

Advertisement