Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Registration

Options
  • 18-02-2008 1:47am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just want to clarify something;

If I register a business name with the CRO - say, Mobile Technologies Dublin, and someone else starts up the same business name in Dublin - I am right in assuming they are permitted to do so, and there is nothing stopping them trading under that name unless I trade mark the name (which I assume is very expensive)?

The same question applies if Mobile World Ltd. is a company trading under the name Mobile Technologies Dublin - I assume somebody else can set up Mobile Technologies Dublin regardless of the fact its associated with a company?

Just a conversation I had recently, and I always though the above was the case but someone else claims opposite!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Correct on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Interesting as I was wondering similar myself. Would be interesting to know an intitial estimate on fee's to copyright your own business name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I've never gotten a trademark but you should check out ...

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/trademark_apply.aspx

Seems to cost around 70€ per class

Classes being ... http://www.wipo.int/classifications/fulltext/nice8/enmain.htm

You can do it yourself as well so .. maybe thats some help

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

forbairt wrote: »
    I've never gotten a trademark but you should check out ...

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/trademark_apply.aspx

Seems to cost around 70€ per class

Classes being ... http://www.wipo.int/classifications/fulltext/nice8/enmain.htm

You can do it yourself as well so .. maybe thats some help

Interesting but it seems rather confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

The schedule of fees is rediculous, it would cost a fortune to register your trade mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

Sully wrote: »
    Interesting but it seems rather confusing!

Its very simple, only one form to fill in
    mondeo wrote:
    The schedule of fees is rediculous, it would cost a fortune to register your trade mark.

it costs € 247 euro

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Okay but whats the deal with those classes? Do I pick one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You may need to pick several classes. Each class corresponds with certain types of goods and services.

If you're in a hurry to get a trademark use the Benelux TM office, as they have a fast track service, though it won't cover you in Ireland.

The Irish trademark office can take several months to fully process an application.

If you've got the energy it's not that hard to do yourself, but you can find that your desired trademark conflicts with an existing mark either in Ireland or elsewhere (but covered by the Madrid treaty)

You can't "copyright" your name under Irish law. US law is slightly different in this regard.
    You can also gain what is known as a common law trademark through usage ie. if you use a specific "mark" for long enough and widely enough you gain "rights" in that name. It's kind of useful if you want to block someone from bidding on your company name via Google Adwords for example :)

Advertisement