Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help me out a bit?

• 18-02-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭

Hey hey, was just wondering if any of the posters on here could help me out a little bit.

I finished a degree course in philosophy last year (graduated with a 2.1 from the Milltown Institute of philosophy & theology in Dublin) and want to go back to college to study psychology. The thing is I have absolutely no idea of where to start or how to apply. I'm hoping to go to Maynooth as I've heard their psychology department is really good. I just don't really understand the post-grad system and if I'm able to use the degree I already have to do a post-grad in a different subject, so I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction or help me out a bit.

I'm 23 so qualify as a mature student, but don't know if I can apply for a post grad or if I need to start at the beginning of a three year degree course or even if I have to pay for college since I already have a degree. I'm ultimately aiming towards a career in psychology so whatever course I do will need to be recognised as qualifying towards a masters later on.

I contacted the college and they answered some of my questions but I'm still not sure where I stand on a couple of things.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help me out a bit!

Cheers,

orestes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can 'usually' do a postgrad in a subject unrelated to your primary degree within reason (i.e. you might not get a comp sci masters with a primary degree in english lit ;)). Often the admissions sites will refer to an 'undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline'. As regards Masters funding if you received funding through a grant or something similar for your undergrad this will usually carry through to your Masters. If you didn't and your circumstances have changed, you may also qualify.

Or you can just do another undergrad degree in psychology.

I don't know if the Masters would qualify you to work in the field, maybe you could drop a line to the professor who manages the Masters program at Maynooth and explain your situation regarding work afterward, I've always found they are more than happy to help.

Advertisement