Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride -on Lawnmowers.. Secondhand

• 18-02-2008 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

Finally reached the limit of cutting grass this weekend by a push mower on a 3/4 acre site. I'm looking into buying a second hand ride-on with a budget of 600-850quid. I know its small money for one but thats the budget and it's stretched at that. I was looking in the paper and i don't really know what to being looking out for or whats dodgy etc..

Something about hydrostatic?? or manual or something along those lines.. Forgive my ignorance. anyway.. anyone know what i should be looking out for and whats the best to go for.

your advice is much appreciated.

thanks
    gavin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

First of all, you are gonna get some twits coming on trying to tell you that you are a wuss, and that unless you have 40 acres you donlt need a ride-on. Ignore them.

I would imagine you will be able to get a mower for your budget. Try Buy&Sell and also any place that sell ex-hire mowers.

Things that GENERALLY affect mower prices:
    Cut size - Generally the larger the cutting diameter, the higher the price.
    No Of Blades - Related to cut size, a 3 blade mower will cost more than a double blade mower.
    Mulching - (chops up the grass into tiny pieces and leave on the lawn) - Some mowers only collect grass (usually the cheapest), some only mulch (usually middle of the road) some do both (usually the most expensive).
    Gears - Some are manual (like a car without a clutch) these are generally cheaper) and some are hydrostatic (like an outomatic car) these are generally more expensive. Hydrostatic are handier, especially if you have lots of nooks and obstacles which mean driving & reversing alot.
    Brand - Like all other things, there are cheap and expensive brands. Expensive brands are not always better. Also there are only one or two companies who make engines, Honda and Briggs & Stratton spring to mind.

So there you have it. There is not really a whole lot that can go wrong with a good mower. As long as the blades are propperly sharpened and you are not clipping kerbs & rocks, they should last a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eddiebutt

I'm looking to buy a Viking or Castle Garden that mulches and collects is there any difference I have been quoted 3,000 for a new John Derr, 2150 for a new castle Garden and 2,000 for a second hand viking. Any know what's the best option

Thanks

Edy

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Prospect, like Stifz, I am also looking for a ride on but am very confused about the mulching bit.

Which is better for the lawn - mulching or collecting? If I get a machine that does both, when do I mulch and when do I collect?

Regards,

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Cheers prospect..

So hydrostatic is auto and otherwise its manual. its a rectangular site so the cheaper manual option would'nt bother me in mobility terms. Thanks for the help.

Is there any tell tail signs of what to look out for when buying..

thanks
    gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

eddiebutt wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a Viking or Castle Garden that mulches and collects is there any difference I have been quoted 3,000 for a new John Derr, 2150 for a new castle Garden and 2,000 for a second hand viking. Any know what's the best option

Thanks

Edy

Dont be fooled that your are buying a John Deere, cos you're not at 3k or there abouts. JD only have their colour and decals on the machines, they are bascially another machine by another manufacturer underneath, I think Castlegarden if i was told right.

You'll only get a REAL JD by spending 10k up on a mower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 eddiebutt

Dont be fooled that your are buying a John Deere, cos you're not at 3k or there abouts. JD only have their colour and decals on the machines, they are bascially another machine by another manufacturer underneath, I think Castlegarden if i was told right.

You'll only get a REAL JD by spending 10k up on a mower.

Has anyone heard of Viking are they a good make also are Castlegarden a good make also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Okay to throw out a few answers (all just my opinion):

I was recommended to avoid Mower brands sold by large retail Home & Garden outlets. The reason being that alot of lawnmower places will not service them. But you can make up your own mind on that.

Regarding mulching, different experts will give you differing opinions about mulching. This is my opinion:
    I would NOT buy a mower that will only mulch (i,.e. not collect). Mulcing is not ideal in wet conditions, or if the grass gets a bit long on you. Also, constant mulching can lead to a moss problem.
    My mower has the option to mulch or collect. I mulch the first 2 or 3 cuts of the year, only taking about 1" off each time. This grass is high in nitrogen from the winter. I then alternate between mulching & collecting for the rest of the season. If it gets out of hand on me after being on holidays or whatever, I will collect. As the season ends I only collect. I would not leave mulched clippings on a lawn that will not be growing.

So if you are on a budget, go with a collecting mower. After all, cut grass is useful for keeping the weeds down at the base of your hedging.

I agree with niceirishfella, lower end John Deere are re-branded CastleGarden. And AFAIK, CastleGarden use Honda engines. Husqvarna (sp) use B&S.

Nothing wrong with CastleGarden, they are just more reasonable priced. I don;t know anything about Viking, so I'll decline to comment.

When buying, just look for one that is in good overall condition. Also, check the blades are not missing chunks. Also, where applicable, check the 'teeth' on the belt that engages the blades.

**Useful tip, when engaging the blades on your mower, do slow slowly, this will lenghten the life of the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MK Mark 1

Just bought a second hand Ride on, Castle Garden 15.5hp twin cut 102cm with mulcher kit and pick up box there is 200 hours on it. Looked every where for the last 3 weeks
    cost €1500 in Waterford

Deck in great condition, new belts fitted, fully services with new filters. Buying second hand you need to be careful, there is a lot of rubbish out there. Ensure the deck is in good condition, there are new belts, and the steering and front wheels have not got a hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GubMan

as this is an older thread and as the whole economic gig has changed since these prices were available, whats the story now with getting a reasonably priced 2nd hand ride on? Like a lot of others on here, I've about 3/4 acre of grass to cut and need some value as budget is tight! has the price fallen , i assume it has in spades??

Nope, the price of secondhand machines has actually increased due to the fact that new stuff is not selling. A 2nd hand mower last year selling for €800 last year would fetch 1k or 1100 now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

As this thread has been resurrected, I'd like some recommendations as to what constitutes a good reliable machine for my 3/4 acre site. Up to now, I've been cutting it with a petrol self propelled mower but this takes about 3-4 hours each weekend that I'd rather spend with my kids. I've spoken to my neighbours and they have:-

Castlegarden (wouldn't recommend it as its unreliable says one neighbour)

Jonsered - Bits keep falling off it

Stihl - rusting after a year's use

So there's 3 makes that don't have happy customers. Where do I look now? And yes I'd agree with an earlier post that I too wouldn't buy from the likes of B & Q as their aftersales service is non existant. There are a number of dealers locally but they seem to only sell the above makes.

Finally, is there a definitive answer to the whole mulching question, i.e. good idea/bad idea. I've heard thats its a sure fire way to grow moss while others think it is the answer to avoiding having huge mounds of dead grass decaying in the corner of your garden.

As this thread has been resurrected, I'd like some recommendations as to what constitutes a good reliable machine for my 3/4 acre site. Up to now, I've been cutting it with a petrol self propelled mower but this takes about 3-4 hours each weekend that I'd rather spend with my kids. I've spoken to my neighbours and they have:-

Castlegarden (wouldn't recommend it as its unreliable says one neighbour)

Jonsered - Bits keep falling off it

Stihl - rusting after a year's use

So there's 3 makes that don't have happy customers. Where do I look now? And yes I'd agree with an earlier post that I too wouldn't buy from the likes of B & Q as their aftersales service is non existant. There are a number of dealers locally but they seem to only sell the above makes.

Finally, is there a definitive answer to the whole mulching question, i.e. good idea/bad idea. I've heard thats its a sure fire way to grow moss while others think it is the answer to avoiding having huge mounds of dead grass decaying in the corner of your garden.

Hi,I'll give my opinion as the owner of a very large garden and owner/operator for manys a year of garden care equip.

Re; Makes -
    Castlegarden are the biggest brand out there, they are mostly all briggs and staratton powered (good thing) and are italian built and offer decent value for money. Parts are readily available anywhere for a castlegarden built mowers. The experience of your just 1 neighbour is not representative of this brands reputation.:)
    Jonsered - I'm told are a cheaper brand husky own, and as good - Kohler engines and B&S as well, (good). Well built machine too and parts are easy to source.
    Stihl, don't know much about them, but they are a large reputable brand when it comes to chainsaws etc.

You see, its not about what blokes will tell you down the pub or over the garden fence, its real life living and operating and mainitaning these machines.
    I'm give you an example, my neighbour bought a new mower, a partner 36" twin blade cut but allows his 14 year old son to cut with it and the young guy does not have a clue how to use the mower, bless him:pac:. (nor was he shown how to properly:confused:)
    He goes to mow when the grass is damp(!!!!!???), and then it never mows correctly putting the engine,pulleys,belts and deck under immense pressure - its all about how these machines are operated and serviced and mined. The young fella next door also has managed to damage the grass box and bonnet by hitting tress and fence posts and the like, again its all about the correct use/operation of these pieces of kit.
    My own mower is only used by myself, serviced by myself so therefore I know its being used right and maintained right.

So, that's what its all about - the rules to buying a mower to me is as follows and this is the advice I give anyone going to buy a mower -

1) Buy a decent brand, Castlegarden are good, they are proven and reliable (i'm on my 5th or 6th).
    2) Use them personally and properly.
    3) service them regularily (and if handy,personally), its cheap to service a mower - sparkplugs are about €3 or €4 and oil is cheap too. 10 mins will do an oil and plug changed. A pulley belt is €15 or there or thereabouts - no big deal to change over either. Wash the deck often, prop it up on it side and wash all the grass of the deck till its clear of all grass. Remember, grass is corrosive and will rust a deck if left on to eat away at it - no mower I know of have galvanised decks except the professional 10k + machines but its all about preventative maintenance with mowers. When putting the mower away at the endo f the year, a big wash is vitally important to extend the life of your deck and a good spray of WD40 to prevent corossion is a preresiquite.

They will fail if you don't service them, bits will fall of if you abuse them or allow them to be abused.
    Re; mulching - well it does create moss. Mulching is for good dry states of enviroment like Cananda or even LA! Not Wet Ireland with its sometimes poor drainage. A good grass collector is the best buy and if you set up your garden right, you don't need to have the big pile of grass in the corner. It can be disguised with shrubs, some trellis fencing etc - think about it and design a proper area in the garden for disposal/composting of all your household waste and get away from thinking about the "stinking mess" of grass, make it a functional area but hidden away place.
    Re; Dealers - You will get a new mower for great money this year, like my current mower cost my €2700 new, not it can be bought for 18 or €1900 with a full warranty and if I was buying now, I'd insist on a 18month warranty and that will do you this summer and next summer!!! I can buy a hydrostatic 13.5hp mower for €1800 new today, the value out there is savage as new stock is not moving and don't be told different. I have a good mate in the bizz and his new stock is DEAD!
    Secondhand is the rage this year and therefore is fetching a bit of a premium as per my previous post.

any questions, please just pm me.
    Happy Mowing!:):D

Is it obligatory that second hand ride on mowers MUST break down, or is it just the norm?

Gotta say I have a few friends that bought them and they all end up using the old push one in the end, while the ride on takes up a chunk of space in their shed.

Is it obligatory that second hand ride on mowers MUST break down, or is it just the norm?

Gotta say I have a few friends that bought them and they all end up using the old push one in the end, while the ride on takes up a chunk of space in their shed.

No, not the norm. The best value is to be had 2nd hand.
    People don't know how to use/operate/service them, thats all.
    When buying 2nd hand, the rule of thumb is as follows -
    • Only buy one you see operating.
    • Only buy a recognised brand.
    • Briggs and Statton/Kohler/Yamama/Honda Engine ONLY.
    • Ensure it was well maintained.
    • Learn how to operate it.
    • Learn how to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kkhurler

You say your current mower cost 2700 but could be bought now for 1800 - 1900 what type is it and where did you get it? I have been quoted 2900 for a Castel XT180HD 17.5HP. Our site is .8 acre with house on built on that so bigish garden.

Thanks for all the info re maintaining mower once we get one - great help.

thanks.

Hi,I'll give my opinion as the owner of a very large garden and owner/operator for manys a year of garden care equip.

Re; Makes -
    Castlegarden are the biggest brand out there, they are mostly all briggs and staratton powered (good thing) and are italian built and offer decent value for money. Parts are readily available anywhere for a castlegarden built mowers. The experience of your just 1 neighbour is not representative of this brands reputation.:)
    Jonsered - I'm told are a cheaper brand husky own, and as good - Kohler engines and B&S as well, (good). Well built machine too and parts are easy to source.
    Stihl, don't know much about them, but they are a large reputable brand when it comes to chainsaws etc.

You see, its not about what blokes will tell you down the pub or over the garden fence, its real life living and operating and mainitaning these machines.
    I'm give you an example, my neighbour bought a new mower, a partner 36" twin blade cut but allows his 14 year old son to cut with it and the young guy does not have a clue how to use the mower, bless him:pac:. (nor was he shown how to properly:confused:)
    He goes to mow when the grass is damp(!!!!!???), and then it never mows correctly putting the engine,pulleys,belts and deck under immense pressure - its all about how these machines are operated and serviced and mined. The young fella next door also has managed to damage the grass box and bonnet by hitting tress and fence posts and the like, again its all about the correct use/operation of these pieces of kit.
    My own mower is only used by myself, serviced by myself so therefore I know its being used right and maintained right.

So, that's what its all about - the rules to buying a mower to me is as follows and this is the advice I give anyone going to buy a mower -

1) Buy a decent brand, Castlegarden are good, they are proven and reliable (i'm on my 5th or 6th).
    3) service them regularily (and if handy,personally), its cheap to service a mower - sparkplugs are about €3 or €4 and oil is cheap too. 10 mins will do an oil and plug changed. A pulley belt is €15 or there or thereabouts - no big deal to change over either. Wash the deck often, prop it up on it side and wash all the grass of the deck till its clear of all grass. Remember, grass is corrosive and will rust a deck if left on to eat away at it - no mower I know of have galvanised decks except the professional 10k + machines but its all about preventative maintenance with mowers. When putting the mower away at the endo f the year, a big wash is vitally important to extend the life of your deck and a good spray of WD40 to prevent corossion is a preresiquite.

They will fail if you don't service them, bits will fall of if you abuse them or allow them to be abused.
    Re; mulching - well it does create moss. Mulching is for good dry states of enviroment like Cananda or even LA! Not Wet Ireland with its sometimes poor drainage. A good grass collector is the best buy and if you set up your garden right, you don't need to have the big pile of grass in the corner. It can be disguised with shrubs, some trellis fencing etc - think about it and design a proper area in the garden for disposal/composting of all your household waste and get away from thinking about the "stinking mess" of grass, make it a functional area but hidden away place.
    Re; Dealers - You will get a new mower for great money this year, like my current mower cost my €2700 new, not it can be bought for 18 or €1900 with a full warranty and if I was buying now, I'd insist on a 18month warranty and that will do you this summer and next summer!!! I can buy a hydrostatic 13.5hp mower for €1800 new today, the value out there is savage as new stock is not moving and don't be told different. I have a good mate in the bizz and his new stock is DEAD!
    Secondhand is the rage this year and therefore is fetching a bit of a premium as per my previous post.

you have PM KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdstck

when you say to spray it with wd40 at the end of the season do you mean the underneath of the deck

thanks

Re; Makes -

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Whats the pricing on 2nd hand these days, have about 1500 to spend but the variation on prices is immense.
    I have a 1/2 acre site to cut and some of it has incline. Site is generally dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chriscross1

craftsman lawnmowers new or a good second one

Advertisement