Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smart speeds

Options
  • 18-02-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else got results like this http://www.speedtest.net/result/235765546.png I am on the 4Mb/s service with the 4Mb/s upgrade, but apparently Smart have upgraded everyone to the fastest speed the line can take. Anyone know if we will see anything faster? I saw an ad on Sky and in the UK they have 16Mb/s :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Jesus H Christ!

Spider, thinkin of goin with smart now the last while, do they have to get your line to use it? As in my mam is with Eircom, I live at home, no way will she change it, yet we have BT broadband, can I just change to smart without doin the line rental thing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No they didn't. They only changed the sync rate to make management easier. This turned up some unexpected bug in the DSLAMs and now they're reverting the changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fieldog wrote: »
    yet we have BT broadband, can I just change to smart without doin the line rental thing?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Spear wrote: »
    now they're reverting the changes.

So I'll be back to the normal 8Mb/s service then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    So I'll be back to the normal 8Mb/s service then?

Your bandwidth was still restricted to your current package, it's your sync rate that will switch back to it's old one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Apologies this is a slight thread highjack...

I got the 7mb smart broadband on thursday. I installed the speedtouch modem that they supplied (its a piece of **** but anyway) on thursday I connected at 6.5mb which is fine I know that getting the full 7 is not possible. However over the weekend every time i restarted the modem it would connect at half a meg, restart again 2 and a half, restart again 4 then back down to 1. I tried the modem in all the different phone ports in the house along with different phone cables to make sure it wasnt a local connection issue.

I came to the conclusion that I was shipped a faulty modem and they are sending out a new one to me today. However after reading this thread Im wondering if whatever they were doing over the weekend could have caused these issues?

ChRoMe wrote: »

I got the 7mb smart broadband on thursday. I installed the speedtouch modem that they supplied (its a piece of **** but anyway) on thursday I connected at 6.5mb which is fine I know that getting the full 7 is not possible. However over the weekend every time i restarted the modem it would connect at half a meg, restart again 2 and a half, restart again 4 then back down to 1. I tried the modem in all the different phone ports in the house along with different phone cables to make sure it wasnt a local connection issue.

I came to the conclusion that I was shipped a faulty modem and they are sending out a new one to me today. However after reading this thread Im wondering if whatever they were doing over the weekend could have caused these issues?

Details of the resyncing are here
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2126
    But it sounds like you need an altered profile to adapt to noise on the line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ChRoMe wrote: »

Check your line stats - your line may not be capable of the speed you have signed up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

ive asked them to investigate changing my profile to help with the stability.

If the line was capable of the speed I'd imagine i would just connect at a slower speed.. it doesnt seem to explain how i can connect at 6.5 and then at .3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If your line is extremely unstable or swamped with interference or noise then its quite possible it can go from supporting 6Mbps to less than 1Mbps in a matter of seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

My line was only syncing at 1.5Mbit with the supplied Thompson filter so I reverted back to my old setup of 2 filters in series (hehe) and I synced at 20Mbit.Must try 3 filters in series tomorrow. :)

Advertisement