Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for 50-something learner driver?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My dad has recently started learning to drive at the age of 54 (or something). My mum doesn't drive, so they have never had a car.

I told him that he would find it difficult to improve rapidly without a car of his own to practice with. So now he's going to get one. But my parents know ZERO about cars. I'm not much better, to be honest. The only advice I could manage was "Um, get a Toyota, they won't give you trouble".

So he's looking for suggestions on what to get. Here's the shopping list:

1 - It doesn't need to be large. In fact, it'd be better if it wasn't. It's really just for him and the mum spinning around.

2. The budget is about E5K.

3. Nothing too old.

4. Because of their lack of car expertise, it needs to be something very user friendly and that doesn't tend to give problems.

Also, where is the best place to buy used cars - Buy and sell, garages?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fiat Panda (2004+) probably beats any Toyota for reliability. You may even get one still in warranty from 2005 on the market - some were sold with 2 year, some with 4 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

rediguana wrote: »
    I told him that he would find it difficult to improve rapidly without a car of his own to practice with.

I wouldn't bother buying a car until he's passed his test. It is illegal for him to drive without an accompanying driver and whoever that is will presumably have a car. A car now will just sit there losing value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Chet T16 wrote: »

Looks good, cheers.

I wouldn't bother buying a car until he's passed his test. It is illegal for him to drive without an accompanying driver and whoever that is will presumably have a car. A car now will just sit there losing value.

He may be on a second provisional, or have private grounds to practice in, or may have an accompanying licenced driver *without* a car; plus its rather dangerous to throw a newly qualified driver in a car they've never driven before. Plus he'll need a car he's insured on for the test, no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MYOB wrote: »
    He may be on a second provisional, or have private grounds to practice in, or may have an accompanying licenced driver *without* a car; plus its rather dangerous to throw a newly qualified driver in a car they've never driven before. Plus he'll need a car he's insured on for the test, no matter what.

Plus if I'm being cynical, any guard that sees a 50-something year old driving with L-plates up will just assume that they have a child as a named driver and just keep the L-plates up. So they'll likely get away with driving unaccompanied.

And if I'm being really cynical, you'll get away with driving unaccompanied regardless of age.

Back on topic, the Fiat Panda is grand. Can't go wrong with Toyota Yaris either.

...recently started learning to drive...

So safe to assume he's on a first provisional (or learner permit or whatever they call it now). Pootling about your private country estate won't get you through a test and spending 5K for an accompanying driver without a car is an expensive way of learning to drive - you'll get a LOT of professional lessons for that price!

The rule of thumb in the UK is one hour of tuition for every year of age and it's pretty well known that our capacity for learning and information retention diminishes with age. I think it's brilliant for his Dad to be learning to drive, when he retires it will open up a whole world that would be closed out otherwise. But I would strongly recommend not leaping into a car (at any age) on a first learner licence, especially when you are in your 50s and with the law about to change. And the idea that he will probably get away with it is irrelevant - he still won't be safe and he'll still be breaking the law.

If I were him I would block book lessons and give serious thought to buying whatever car the instructor uses - it'll be tough, cheap, easy to drive and maintain and teh fact he'll be used to it will boost his confidence and comfortle level (but it will probably be a micra!).

Okay so, Fiat Panda, Toyota Yaris - anyone disagree? Suggest anything else?

It's E40 a pop for a driving lesson. He'll need something apart from that to practice in or he'll never pass, unless he's going to bankrupt himself. I just mean going to an empty church car park or something to practice his clutch control etc.

I gave him a mini lesson a few weeks ago when I was home. It was his first time behind the wheel and he had no problems. I'm sure that he'll pass, even if it takes him a couple of attempts. He'll be getting loads of proper lessons as well, of course. He's not worried about depreciation. It'd only be a small car and I'm optimistic in that I think he can pass within a year.

If I'm wrong and he flounders from pillar to post in his new car, I'll take it off his hands if he gives me a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

So safe to assume he's on a first provisional (or learner permit or whatever they call it now). Pootling about your private country estate won't get you through a test and spending 5K for an accompanying driver without a car is an expensive way of learning to drive - you'll get a LOT of professional lessons for that price!

The rule of thumb in the UK is one hour of tuition for every year of age and it's pretty well known that our capacity for learning and information retention diminishes with age. I think it's brilliant for his Dad to be learning to drive, when he retires it will open up a whole world that would be closed out otherwise. But I would strongly recommend not leaping into a car (at any age) on a first learner licence, especially when you are in your 50s and with the law about to change. And the idea that he will probably get away with it is irrelevant - he still won't be safe and he'll still be breaking the law.

If I were him I would block book lessons and give serious thought to buying whatever car the instructor uses - it'll be tough, cheap, easy to drive and maintain and teh fact he'll be used to it will boost his confidence and comfortle level (but it will probably be a micra!).

Every instructor i went with told me it was vital you practise with your own car and put into practise what you've been taught.

1-2 hours lessons are no substitute for practising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

MYOB wrote: »
    Fiat Panda (2004+) probably beats any Toyota for reliability. You may even get one still in warranty from 2005 on the market - some were sold with 2 year, some with 4 year.

Fiat beating Toyota on reliability sounds a bit fishy to me.

I second Toyota Yaris. Its cheap, reliable, good on fuel, lowest tax and insurance bracket and there are 100's of them for sale so you can haggle a lot.

It's E40 a pop for a driving lesson

And how would he get to the church car park? He'd have to drive, illegally and dangerously! Seriously, you're talking about spending €4500 for a second hand car that equals 112 hours of dedicated professional tuition. If he block books 2 lessons a week he'll have his licence in a reasonable time. Or he could take a week or two's holidays and try this

And as I said above once he has passed his test he might want to look at buying whatever car the instructor uses.

So safe to assume he's on a first provisional (or learner permit or whatever they call it now).

Not safe to assume anything, to be honest.
    you'll get a LOT of professional lessons for that price!

And not have a car to drive at the end of it...

The amount of instructors I've seen using BMW Mini's is something unreal. These aren't cheap... it also means that you'll likely never be able to drive another car properly (my mother is STILL uneasy unless its a nasty 1989-reg Nissan March...), but the same could be said for doing all the lessons in your own car, obviously.

kmick wrote: »
    Fiat beating Toyota on reliability sounds a bit fishy to me.

You don't know new Fiat's then. Entirely different animals to what they were selling ten, even 5 years ago. Panda came 8th in the latest Top Gear/JDPower survey, when traditionally 180th was more Fiats territory.

And Toyota's quality has degraded of late, at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I would also have thought it might be a good idea to do the theory test as soon as he can.

Fiat's are doing well in the user surveys. Mazda seems to be the one to beat though. I've never seen an instructor using a Mini - at a base price of just under €22k and BMW prices for parts and service they must be charging a fortune!

Anyway, even if he is on his 2nd provisional the new laws come into effect in the summer so he'll be off the road then, car bought or not so I think it's not the wisest of ideas...

is_that_so wrote: »
    I would also have thought it might be a good idea to do the theory test as soon as he can.

He has a provisonal licence.

The original question asked what cars are good for older, novice drivers.

I've never seen an instructor using a Mini - at a base price of just under €22k and BMW prices for parts and service they must be charging a fortune!

I've seen three from different driving schools in the car park of The Belgard before! Sure is a jump up from a Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

maybe a fiesta?

Id def recommend doing as much lessons in your own car as possible plus plenty of practice around industrial estates in the evenings

Advertisement