Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - gap

Options
  • 18-02-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

My insurance runs out about 6-7 week before I turn 24 (this year anyway:))

Since the insurance will be up evey year at the same point I am wondering if it is worth it at all to leave it the 6-7 weeks (get short term cover) and gain the extra "year" on age.

The question is would the extra "year of age" make any/enough of a reduction in the subsequent years to justify the cost and potential hassle of doing this?

I'm thinking it more than likely wouldn't. Also what happens to your NCB if you were to do this, i.ee. I would have 2 years but a gap of 6-7 weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yes, i done it last year and it was deffo worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭wba88

yea i did that too and saved approx €200

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wba88 wrote: »
    yea i did that too and saved approx €200
    kceire wrote: »
    yes, i done it last year and it was deffo worthwhile.

Surprising:eek:, I didn't think it would be that big a difference, guess I should look at entering details online and try work out the figures.

@ wba88 + kceire

How did it affect your NCB? does it even make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

In a similar situation myself except its a sub-2 week gap here.

Obviously will not drive around uninsured (or would have done it last year!) and I can't do without the car for two weeks, what options is there for short term cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Sorry to piggy back on the original topic, but i soon will be moving to the UK, my car isnt really worth selling or bringing with me to the UK, so i will be parking it up at my dads house and hopefully driving it when i come home at weekend etc.

How possible will this be insurance wise or will i have to take out a year round policy?
    (I probably wont be driving in the UK so i cant transfer insurance over and back!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

@ wba88 + kceire

no effect, my renewal came in at 1100 euro, so i took it and paid by installments, paid the first month and then transferred to arran when i turned 26 and got my policy doen to €668.

Just tried it on Quinn's site. Changed age to reflect when 23 and 24. No difference in price.

Probably make a bigger difference for some companies over others but not looking to promising, paying for 6 weeks looks like its not going to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭wba88

@ wba88 + kceire

no effect.

i had to wait a few weeks but i did the calculations online in advance and saw the saving and knowing by waiting a few weeks i would be likely to save every year i decided it was worth it

Advertisement