Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD-DVD has almost lost the war

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The profiles thing is very valid though being 100% honest

Valid to a point, but it's kind of moot when the most popular blu-ray player (aka PS3) is fully upgradeable. It'll be upgraded to 2.0 in an upcoming firmware.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. Universal movies on blu-ray will be nice, at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

LookingFor wrote: »
    Valid to a point, but it's kind of moot when the most popular blu-ray player (aka PS3) is fully upgradeable. It'll be upgraded to 2.0 in an upcoming firmware.

Anyway, I'm glad it's over. Universal movies on blu-ray will be nice, at last.

But the PS3 isn't a true standalone blu-ray player, it's a console first and foremost with Blu-Ray functionality. What Blu-Ray really needs to get into homes is a quick loading, cheap Blu-Ray player that can do it all, like a normal DVD player now.

Universal will be excellent, though it's nice to have paramount back too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its a big help to ps3's chances now. is this the start of the end for 360? also hearing the next generation is due to arrive around 2010 estimated. and since 360 came first, surely microsoft will strike first?

anyway whats wrong with dvd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    its a big help to ps3's chances now. is this the start of the end for 360? also hearing the next generation is due to arrive around 2010 estimated. and since 360 came first, surely microsoft will strike first?

This wont affect the XBOX 360. There is nothing wrong with DVD. Bluray however is great with a big tv and decent sound system

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hardly the start of the end for the 360. The HD-DVD drive for it didn't sell in great numbers, but as a games platform it is thriving at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

corcaigh07 wrote: »

I can remember discussions, not too long ago, about games starting to become too big for DVDs. I mean, compression can only go so far. With HD, the number of different textures, sound samples etc. has to be increasing. Eventually, it will become too much for DVDs (eventually meaning sooner rather than later!).

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

With PC games already hitting 12gigs + when installed, the 9gigs or so that DVD has to offer must be really hurting the 360, and it will only get worse as newer and bigger games come out...

GTAV for example... I bet it will come on 5 discs for 360 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I wish this "war" had ended sooner. HD players have been around for nearly 2 years and it feels like their price has not dropped yet(Well it has, but not by much). Im betting this was due the "War". Companies too afraid to invest in either format since it could mean a loss, has slowed down progress of HD.

Slightly OT: I hope to christ blizzard put World of warcrat onto blu-ray (or dvd at the very least). The pain of installing that game involves 10 CD's atm :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree that deffo does affect microsoft.Surely the next-gen microsoft console will use A HD disc.Now it seems that this disc will have to be blu-ray.However, microsoft have often said that they are in no hurry to replace the 360.In the short term, i believe that the introduction of a blu-ray extension for the 360 is imminent-possibly before the summer.Similiar price to hddvd extension i would imagine.The whole idea of a 360 with everything, blu-ray drive, wifi, etc... is now back on the cards IMO.I'm not holding my breath(bcos i also own a ps3) but it would'nt surprise me if it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

blue ray is way better

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Overature wrote: »
    blue ray is way better

No it isn't - not that it matters anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's good the war is over, arguements about HD-DVD vs BluRay are moot, much like DCC vs Minidisc or Betamax vs VHS, the winner is called and it'll be a short matter of time before very affordable BluRay players start popping up, especially if they can stop "upgrading" the format and settle on one baseline version, then the budget manufacturers can get to pumping them out of China.

As for consoles, I think its obvious that any console worth its salt will contain a Bluray drive, if not for playback then certainly as a largecapacity storage medium, so I reckon we'll see the follow up to the 360 and PS3 both having Bluray drives, the alternative being MS making a proprietory big capacity drive for their 360 follow up, not likely given the ready availability of the Bluray.

We were kinda spoiled you see up to know, very few youngsters remember a time when two storage mediums were at odds, DVD being universally supported, to everyones benefit.

Then, just as MP3 swept away the competition for the replacement of CD, principally DCC, Minidisc and DAT, so perhaps will MP4 and DivX do away with physical HD media completely, in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Why are Blu-ray disks so expensive - up to 400% more expensive than DVD, are they really 4 times more expensive to produce or are they just taking the piss with the price, it's new so they charge whatever the hell they like cause it's new technology

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It's a pity MS didn't put a HD DVD player built into the Xbox, then it would of had a good chance of winning. Sony has such a bad background, it is a wonder Blu Ray won. (Betamax, Minidisk, UMD).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Dman001 wrote: »
    It's a pity MS didn't put a HD DVD player built into the Xbox, then it would of had a good chance of winning. Sony has such a bad background, it is a wonder Blu Ray won. (Betamax, Minidisk, UMD).

stop sending me pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    We were kinda spoiled you see up to know, very few youngsters remember a time when two storage mediums were at odds, DVD being universally supported, to everyones benefit.
    Not counting the DC's GD-ROM discs going against PS1's CD-ROM/PS2's DVD-ROM (and N64's carts); or the GC's miniDVDs then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

To be fair, nobody was ever pushing the DC as a GD-ROM player that also had some games of varying quality.

It's hardly the same as the Blu-ray/HD-DVD thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

MooseJam wrote: »
    Why are Blu-ray disks so expensive - up to 400% more expensive than DVD, are they really 4 times more expensive to produce or are they just taking the piss with the price, it's new so they charge whatever the hell they like cause it's new technology

To be fair, they're about the same price DVDs were, when they first came out.

Give it a year or two, and the price will be much lower.

Advertisement