Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flycam / steadycam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

looks fairly crap... go to filmbase they have a featherlight steadycam for rent... its about 125 euro a day but it is so worth it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its currently in repairs as it broke a couple of weeks back :(

but yeah try and rent a steady cam before you buy, it supposable takes a nack to get the hang of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Sorry forgot to mention it is only for a lightweight Sony HDR-SR7E Handycam, not one of those big professional jobs.

Renting is out of the question as I will need it on a full time basis. I only need it for short clips and the one on Filmbase case 850 dollars to buy - which is a bit extravagant for my needs.

Any other suggestions if you think the Flycam is not the one?

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

if its only a small handycam a steady cam of any kind would probably be overkill I'd think?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    if its only a small handycam a steady cam of any kind would probably be overkill I'd think?

Well, I have to do a lot of walking while filming and the test shots I have taken have been a bit shaky and I would like to improve on this - even though there is a "super steadyshot" sticker on my camera (I think Mr. Sony told me a lie :mad:).

I am not a film/camera expert by any stretch of the imagination so this Flycam seemed like a reasonably priced solution to me.....but if you guys have any other (cheapish) alternatives I would welcome any suggestions.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can try making one. There's hundreds of sites on the net that will show you how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Put your camera on a lightweight tripod, open the lcd on the camera, close the legs on the tripod, grip the bottom of the closed legs (adjust head for your angle) and do your thing. The tripod will absorb much of the shake and you save yourself a fortune. The same technique can be applied to a tripod with its head extended upwards a few inches, legs closed and held in an upright position between the head and top of the tripod legs. Trust me it works.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I decided to bite the bullet and have ordered myself a Steadicam Merlin, not cheap but hopefully worth it.

OK Folks,

I have had my Steadicam Merlin for a couple of weeks now and I am having touble getting the thing perfectly trimmed. I am soooooo close with it but I just can't get the camera to hold in one position.

I have it level and the 1 second drop time sorted out, I just can't get it to settle when I have stopped walking and the camera continues to bob as if I am on a boat.

Anyone out there have one of these that can help me master the set up?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

sorry off the point- what website did you buy the stedicam? and what price I'm looking at the new Merlin myself, great piec of kit- good luck with operating it, takes a good bit of practice, I'm sure your prob isn't major! Thanks

• Advertisement

spiderdan wrote: »
    sorry off the point- what website did you buy the stedicam? and what price I'm looking at the new Merlin myself, great piec of kit- good luck with operating it, takes a good bit of practice, I'm sure your prob isn't major! Thanks

I got mine from Conns Cameras €745 + vat. Only took 3 days to get it with a load of other stuff I ordered.

Yeah, it's tricky enough to get used to but I shall persevere!! :)

Advertisement