Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone on Three

• 18-02-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi Guys,

I was thinking to get an iPhone and sniffing around for some good EDGE deals. I found this Mobile Broadband Unlimited with Three and sounds pretty OK for me. The only thing is that I'm not sure what happens when you plug in a 3G sim on a non-3G handset (as an iPhone).

Will it work fine? If you try to do this on a "normal" non-3G handset you should still be able to use all services provided by Three, including broadband.

Does Three have any agreement to provide an EDGE alternative for non-3G users? If so, I think this the best deal for broadband you can get around...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the iphone doesn't have 3g and won't work on 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Three Ireland only has a 3G network so for 2G they roam on Vodafone. If you try to use a 2G-only phone on their network they'll notice it and block you for violating their terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mrpropre

sharper wrote: »
    Three Ireland only has a 3G network so for 2G they roam on Vodafone. If you try to use a 2G-only phone on their network they'll notice it and block you for violating their terms and conditions.
    That was my suspicion...thanks for your quick reply! :cool:

sharper, what would be the best option then to use the iPhone in Ireland (other than wait that o2 ie offers something like this, with unlimited data and wifi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

mrpropre wrote: »
    That was my suspicion...thanks for your quick reply! :cool:

sharper, what would be the best option then to use the iPhone in Ireland (other than wait that o2 ie offers something like this, with unlimited data and wifi)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238054 for O2s new tariffs (I'm on the 250mb for EUR7.50 pm).

atgate, do you reckon 10GB EUR15 pm is enough to check emails and browsing www? Also, do you think it'd be worth waiting for the 3G version of the iPhone? I heard EDGE is much better when it comes to checking emails and www, so I wonder if the 3G version will make any difference to light users like me (and, btw, I cannot even stand videocalls)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

mrpropre wrote: »
    atgate, do you reckon 10GB EUR15 pm is enough to check emails and browsing www? Also, do you think it'd be worth waiting for the 3G version of the iPhone? I heard EDGE is much better when it comes to checking emails and www, so I wonder if the 3G version will make any difference to light users like (who, btw, cannot stand videocalls)...

mrpropre - should prob post this in the iPhone thread (cept it's so huge and unwieldy now). 10GB is a huge amount for emails and browsing. I'd go for the 250gb and keep an eye in usage, you can change plans each month. If you have wifi at home/work you'll only use the edge browsing out and about - I use mine the whole time and I would struggle to use 100mb a month!! As for 3g version - you'll have make up your own mind. Who knows when it will be out, how much it will cost and how much faster it will be (I'd only be worried that it might come with a re-design which renders the current version "past-it").

atgate wrote: »
    (I'd only be worried that it might come with a re-design which renders the current version "past-it").
    That's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery good point. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Quick question hoping to switch to the 3 network onto the best of both plan.

Does anybody know if the 3 sim card will work in an unlocked iphone 2g if one only wants to txt and call (i.e. no data required)

I know this was a problem before just wondering if its resolved.

Thanks for any replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

3 use USIM's which are not compatible in 2G SIM Phone. So short answer is no. Also Best of Both is not available as Sim Only, you will have to buy a 3 phone in order to get onto the plan.

Advertisement