Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academic C.V.

• 18-02-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how to write an academic C.V.
    I have been onto a few of my professors from last year to get references for a possible postgrad next year and they were all very helpfull about the various courses I asked them about and offered references. They just said to pop my C.V. into them and they can write the reference for various courses. What type of info should I provide? Should I mention specific courses I did under the different professors? How long should it be? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Download some of your professors C.Vs or those from other colleges. They all follow roughly the same format.

1. Education 2. Awards 3. Publications 4. Conferences, talks etc.. 5. Teaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Remember that most academic CVs are written by people who have already done a postgrad and are looking for academic posts, e.g., a lectureship. If you're just finishing/finished a degree then a lot of the standard ones won't be relevent.

I'd stress your achievements in areas related to the possible postgrad, particularly project work. It shouldn't be longer than a standard CV (2/3 pages max), and should focus on why you're a good candidate for this postgrad. Throw in relevent work experience if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Yes my CV for my postgrad was just the same as for a job in the industry. CVs should never be more than two pages. If you are coming straight out of college and don't have much work experience, then you might try keeping it down to one page. Usually people recruiting scan through lots of cvs for any position so it's important they can find they information they're looking for quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

pwd wrote: »
    Yes my CV for my postgrad was just the same as for a job in the industry. CVs should never be more than two pages. If you are coming straight out of college and don't have much work experience, then you might try keeping it down to one page. Usually people recruiting scan through lots of cvs for any position so it's important they can find they information they're looking for quickly.

So like my leaving results, things I studied in college that would be relevant to the postgrad and my college results ? plus extracurricular things that my be relevant to the postgrad I'm applying for. Bear in mind this cv is for a former professor for a reference letter and not actual direct application to my chosen postgrad. Thanks for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It sounds like they'll probably base your reference around your cv so they'll probably be most interested in a summary of what you've done in college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 RAMADAN

Exar Khun wrote: »
    Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how to write an academic C.V.
    I have been onto a few of my professors from last year to get references for a possible postgrad next year and they were all very helpfull about the various courses I asked them about and offered references. They just said to pop my C.V. into them and they can write the reference for various courses. What type of info should I provide? Should I mention specific courses I did under the different professors? How long should it be? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    if you are looking for a lecturing post, then the "standard" academic CV is ideal as outlined in the responses above. When I review CVs my core interest is twofold: what conference papers has this eprson had a go at (if no publications yet) AND what else have they done in life that shows initiative. I don't think a list of courses taken is relevant but you do need to show your skill set. My preferred order is Education, Publications, Papers, Awards, Research Awards, and Service/Administration.

Advertisement