Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling in a Fireplace

• 18-02-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi Guys. I just moved in to my new house which has a fire place but we've just got an electric fire in front of the hole that's in the wall. How can i go about getting this blocked up as the electric fire doesn't cover it completley and its really cold in the room as a result. could i just get a piece of board and block it up and paint over it and that or will I have to get bricks and get it done professionally? I'd really like a simple and quick way of doing this without lots of work or money being involved. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

block up with bricks / blocks but leave a vent at least 220x150 . Or it will get very very damp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Hi a friend did this recently in a bed room where the fire wasn’t being used, first I told him to have the chimney cleaned and get a bird guard put on the chimney pot, then installed 50mm x 50mm timber stud work wedged in and not fixed and put insulation behind and inside the stud work
    When making up the stud work left a trimmed 200mm x 100mm open section to fix the plastic adjustable vent to finished it with a square of aquapanel cement board I had left over from a job, calk and paint
    He wanted to be able to remove it with no damage to the fire place with out to much bother at a later date

Regards jbcford

Advertisement