Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fullbore moderators, a discussion!

Options
  • 18-02-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

So the restricted list doesn't make any mention of them as far as I can see, if I have missed something please point it out.

Is it restricted, is it not?

So how does a person now go about getting one? Is it the same where we have to ask the local Super or what's the situation.

My Super refuses point blank to grant permission to use a moderator (refused me and my friends and the FO (who is a nice guy) told us we were wasting our time) So if it is now an application to a higher body this may actually be an advantage for me

So does anyone know what to do? Is there an address I can send my application to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Vegeta wrote: »
    So the restricted list doesn't make any mention of them as far as I can see, if I have missed something please point it out.

Is it restricted, is it not?

Yes.
    (a) silencers capable of being used only with long rifled rim-fire firearms;

silencers/mods for rim-fire are not restricted, so centre fire mods are.
    So how does a person now go about getting one? Is it the same where we have to ask the local Super or what's the situation.

My Super refuses point blank to grant permission to use a moderator (refused me and my friends and the FO (who is a nice guy) told us we were wasting our time) So if it is now an application to a higher body this may actually be an advantage for me

So does anyone know what to do? Is there an address I can send my application to?

The restricted SI only comes into force on May 1, so we won't know until closer to that date what the procedure will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rrpc wrote: »
    The restricted SI only comes into force on May 1, so we won't know until closer to that date what the procedure will be.

Well I guess I'll wait until May to apply then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I know the discussion is about centre fire mods, but How does the un-restricted rim fire moderator square with licencing and has anything really changed

As I understand it Un restricted means you can have one once you have a good reason to have one, you do not have to go beyond reasonable use and the application to the commissioner or chief super etc.. But we never had to do that anyway, you went to a Super asked for one and depending on the wind direction and alignment of the stars etc etc:D get a piece of paper. My reading of the regulations pushes the 22 centre fire up to the next level, but not necessarily down grades the rimfire mod to buying over the counter or no "Letter from Super"

I open it to the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Previously all mods were restricted, and you had to apply to super to get one.
    Now, RF mods are not restricted so there is limit on getting one, but you would still have to get approval. So if you have a .22lr, you are allowed a mod, if you just ask.

This was my reading into it, I may be in vain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It means you can get a rimfire mod or a centrefire mod, but you need to get permission for both and you ask different people for that permission - your local lad for a rimfire and the commissioner for centrefire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Thought so, they have made it more difficult to get a 22 centre fire, 22 rimfire remains, apply to the super

Advertisement