Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got surveyors report what next?

Options
  • 18-02-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Okay so my partner and I are FTB and have gone sale agreed on a 3 bed house. I had a survey done on the house (c. 1950s) which revealed that the house was fine as we thought but it did highlight a couple of minor issues which we would like sorted or an allowance made on the purchase price to allow the same. Now the surveyor has sent a letter to our solicitor but she is saying it is not her place and we have to take these matters up with the estate agent and vendor. However, the surveyor has been a nightmare to contact since and has said that he normally deals with the solicitors. Since we have no experience can anyone offer any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Estate Agent is your best bet.

On two occasion the EA helped us out when buying our property.

First, Like yourself we noticed a few things wrong with the house only minor things said it to the EA and they where either fixed (window handle and Smoke Alarms or replacement parts bought (en suite shower fan).

We're lucky because all of our mates are in trades so we got them to fix anything else.

Second, the vendor informed solicitor that he had to go to States for two weeks and wouldnt be ready to move till three four later after us drawing down the loan cheque, after having a word with the EA and threating to pull out, the EA rang back that afternoon to say that they spoek with the Vendor and that he would move out over the weekend. It was the solicitors fault - lack of communication.

Word of advice, I had to hound and chase our solicitor, we where using same solicitor as the vendor (its a small town).

Get the Vendor to fix them, to get in contact request your solicitor to contact his solicitor to contact the EA. Or call around to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Estate agent is definitely your first port of call. Since they're supposed to be the negotiator on the property, their job is discuss changes to the purchase price or conditions imposed on the contracts.

The surveyor is probably reluctant to talk to you in case they mention something wrong or extra to what they told the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Cheers guys. Will send a list to the EA and see how i get on.

Advertisement