Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband??

Options
  • 18-02-2008 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi

Thinking of getting smart broadband. I have 1 mb with BT and its too slow, so I thought 3 mb would be great. It's very cheap at 15 eur per month. Do you get a good speed from it? Is it reliable? Also, I have a wireless router from BT will I be able to keep this or will I have to get a new router from Smart ( their wireless router is very expensive)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If your line is up to 3Mb, and you're in a smart enabled area, then its absolutely great - you'll pretty much always be able to max out 3Mb downloads at any time of the day or night.

Reliability wise, there has been a few disruptions to the service lately - this is due to a few backend changes being scuppered by a bug but the tech guys at smart are in the process of reverting back to the old system which has been pretty much 100% up since day one.

If the router you have with BT is a combined modem/router than unless it is ADSL2+ compatible, it more than likely won't work. Smart no longer offer a wireless modem/router anymore (even though their website suggests otherwise) but you can easily pick up a decent Linksys or Netgear unit from Komplett or Elara, which is fully ADSL2+ compatible, for about €70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Smart are fantastic, once you can get connected. Speed's fantastic and don't bother with the support number, you can get excellent support via http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ just register and include your smart number on your profile so that only the moderators can see it.

Speed's absolutely great, there is genuinely no contention so you don't get busy periods where your speed slows.

There's a €10 / month unlimited local/national calls package add on too

Bear in mind Smart completely take over your phone line, i.e. you will no longer be connected to an eircom switch. At present they do not offer voicemail, but this is on its way sometime soon. Other than that, their phone service is very comparable to eircom.

From a technical point of view, they use ADSL2+ any WiFi ADSL/router that supports ADSL2+ will work with smart.

If you use a non-ADSL2 router, it will work but the speeds will be lower and it will be less stable.

Advertisement