Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing Tires

Options
  • 18-02-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

i don't really have a head for tires, so can anyone recommend a fast + reliable tire for road racing/competition? must replace my worn rear tire, Specialized Mondo, after too many hours on the turbo trainer. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've been using Continental Grand Prix 4000 and find them very good - they give great confidence on corners.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix%204000.shtml

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And I use these and love them. Lots of people swear by Michelin Pro2Race though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Do tyres really make that much of a difference? Would it be worth chucking my current pair (Vitoria Rubino ~€13 each!:rolleyes:) for something a bit fancier?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Rolling resistance and rotation weight make huge differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

tunney wrote: »
    Rolling resistance and rotation weight make huge differences.

This is why i'm concerned. so physically ill be faster & psychologically i'll feel faster! that race is sunday, by any chance is anybody here gonna be at it? its a dublin wheelers training race, this sunday, approx 40mile, Dunsany circuit in Batterstown...i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I did a bit of reading on racing tires on bikeforums or some other site. From what I could gather the three contenders were Vittoria Evo Corsa CX, Michelin Pro Race 2 and Continental GT 4000 in that order. The Corsa are quite expensive so the Pro Race 2 are a good second.

Here are some reference links:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=85502
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-clincher/vittoria/PRD_28232_2489crx.aspx

And here's your link for reasonable Vittoria's
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Vittoria%20Tyres&START=0&LIMIT=48

Edit: I know it's too late for the race but may be useful for future races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Morgan wrote: »
    I've been using Continental Grand Prix 4000 and find them very good - they give great confidence on corners.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix%204000.shtml

yeah i agree you can really put a high pressure into them

in the end i went for conti ultra gatorskins. raced on 'em today, didnt let me down. super tyre.

ba wrote: »
    in the end i went for conti ultra gatorskins. raced on 'em today, didnt let me down. super tyre.

How did u get on??

it was a Dublin Wheeler training race, 1 week before the season starts. there were many heads present, Cycleways, Eurocycles, some lad from Murphy&Gunn, Swords, Ravens, and of course DWCC. maybe 50 riders total. i wasn't counting but my brother kinda was.

savage craic, 45 miles, 4 laps of Dunsany circuit. and i really surprised myself finishing in 17th position considering its my second race. i just counted back from photos posted on DWCC website.

• Advertisement

ba wrote: »
    it was a Dublin Wheeler training race, 1 week before the season starts. there were many heads present, Cycleways, Eurocycles, some lad from Murphy&Gunn, Swords, Ravens, and of course DWCC. maybe 50 riders total. i wasn't counting but my brother kinda was.

savage craic, 45 miles, 4 laps of Dunsany circuit. and i really surprised myself finishing in 17th position considering its my second race. i just counted back from photos posted on DWCC website.

well done,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was cycling back from Trim on Sunday - wondered why there were so many cyclists on the road. Very nice weather for it. Looked like a lot more than 50. Well done on your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

There was another race on close by and that had more than 50 participants. More like 150 I'd say.

hey anurag, top job on posting the images on the website. its great to see the website being updated regularly. was a shame there was no tea + sandwiches after the race in the pub. i thought i'd get to continue our conversation inside and to catch up with everyone. i guess we'll all see each other this saturday right?

Advertisement