Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge topping

• 18-02-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Ive got some grief over this from the lads(and girls)..But does anyone out there ever put butter on the porridge..sounds sick but give it a go melts in with the porridge and tis luvly...probley just get more grief here though lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Salt and oats on top now eat your porridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Soby wrote: »
    Ive got some grief over this from the lads(and girls)..But does anyone out there ever put butter on the porridge..sounds sick but give it a go melts in with the porridge and tis luvly...probley just get more grief here though lol
    You're a crazy Soby! You're one of those New Wave of New Crazies that Pigheads been hearing about. Butter in your porridge?! Bet you also put marmalade in your cup a soups and curry powder in your scotch eggs. You need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aluapnaej

Don't eat butter, so not for me! I have bananas on top or golden syrup! Yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I take some porridge with my sugar.... sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Butter !! you weirdo..:D
    Every morning it's got to be drowning in Honey with Flax,sunflower,pumpkin, sesame seeds and goji berries.. (you can get the whole lot in a mix in Dunnes)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭b_beep

Yep, I've certainly done that. It's an extra creamy delight. Just undoes all the good of eating porridge though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Raisins mixed in with the porridge while it's cooking so they become juicy and lots of honey on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Honey & cream. Splash of whiskey if you fancy treating yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

b_beep wrote: »
    Yep, I've certainly done that. It's an extra creamy delight. Just undoes all the good of eating porridge though...

thank god!!some company

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I only have butter in Rice Porridge, yummy esp with Cinnamon and a little sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Soby wrote: »

Salt and butter is used as a topping a lot in Scotland I think. Have never been tempted to try it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

butter... ming!

i go for maple syrup, and dried banana and papaya, with a flaxseed and goji berry milled topping. don't tell my mates though or i'll get a kicking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭b_beep

hehe, well Soby I don't think we're freaks!!

Now butter on pancakes, that's another story :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Raisins, figs, honey, milk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

chocolate dots from teh chocolate shop!

butter and rasberry jam might be nice, ill have to try it sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Milk and sugar. Cream as a treat. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Butter, nooooo...

Weetabix/raisins/sunflower seeds/All-bran/Cheerios/Just Right/Shredded Wheat/any other non-sweet cereal/milk ...just depends on the mood I'm in really. Weetabix and Raisins is my favourite though.

Mixed some pieces of very dark chocolate into it once too, now that was good!

@ b_beep: butter on pancakes is the best!! It's all melty!! :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whipped butter is amazing on pancakes, especially when it's quite salty. Mmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Butter sounds odd but could be OK. It is nice on pancakes/crumpets, and I make pancakes/crumpets from oats. Maybe make thick porridge and fry spoonfuls in butter

Sounds better than tuna smoothies (someone said they made them in another thread)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Well when I'm in Scotland they look at me as if I'm crazy having milk and sugar on my porridge - they go for salt - so maybe you're doing it right after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

When I was in Jurys in Washington DC a few years ago, they had a porridge dish on their breakfast menu where they put some sugar on top, and made a Porridge Brulée out of it (blowtorching the sugar to caramelise/crisp it). Not very healthy, but delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

coisaille wrote: »
    Well when I'm in Scotland they look at me as if I'm crazy having milk and sugar on my porridge - they go for salt - so maybe you're doing it right after all!

Ye i do milk to..mainly just to cool it..Salt now?...wouldnt be my bowl of porridge anyway....but could be nice..now to find the guts to try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I used to always put salt in the porridge during the cooking process. Never put it on afterwards, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Honey & Linseed normally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Nordwind

Honey and sesame/sunflower/pumpkin seeds.

Advertisement