Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber left us high and dry

Options
  • 18-02-2008 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭

We've recently been getting two bathrooms tiled, so we contracted a plumber to remove the existing sinks, toilets and radiators while the tiling was being done, and then replace them after. We also wanted a new shower installed.

A plumber came out and gave us a quote for 450 euro for the lot. Got a couple of other quotes that were a lot more, so we went with this guy.

He came out and removed the white-ware, left some pipe in the attic and drilled two holes in the bathroom wall for the shower. He said he'd finish installing the shower after the tiling was done when he was putting the ware back in.

He asked for (and I stupidly gave) an up front payment of 200 euro as a guarantee that we'd call him back to finish the job. He then told be to call him when the tiler was finished, and he'd complete the work.

I did this, and he was due to come out last Friday week. No sign of him, and his phone was off all afternoon. Eventually got on to him in the evening, and he said he forgot about us, and that he'd come out on Monday morning. Since then, he's only been communicating by text, has claimed that his uncle died, a child has also died, and made various other excuses - but always promises to be out to us the next day - which obviously never happens.

I've asked for our money back, but he just says he'll be out to us the next day. I did a bit of asking around, and seemingly he's got a reputation for being very unreliable with both time and money.

At this stage we don't want him to finish the job - we don't trust him being on our house - even though we're without the facilities upstairs (we have to make do with downstairs). I have his name and address and am planning on calling out to him looking for our money back. I know that he won't just hand it over, so I was wondering what other comeback I might have:

1. Will the Gardai be interested at all if I were to make a complaint? (I imagine they won't)

2. Small Claims Court. Is there any chance it'll work in a case like this? Problem is I don't have a receipt for the 200 euro payment.

3. Any other suggestions?

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Firstly, document everything - date, time, what happened.

Send him a registered letter asking for a receipt for the money paid, and a date when he will finish the work.

Stop with the phone calls and texts. Put everything in writing.

Then, go to the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well he did do some work, and it would seem that he did do €200's worth so I think getting a refund is out of the question even if the small claims was involved.

I'd try the being nice route and he may eventually turn up, or it may be just a case of him pricing the job too low and not worth his while returning.

Maybe its a case of live and learn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Well he did do some work, and it would seem that he did do €200's worth so I think getting a refund is out of the question even if the small claims was involved.

I'd try the being nice route and he may eventually turn up, or it may be just a case of him pricing the job too low and not worth his while returning.

Maybe its a case of live and learn

Well, to be specific, he quoted 200 for taking out and putting back in the white ware, and 250 for installing the shower. So for the 200 I gave him he just did the easy part of the white ware job. It's the putting back in that involves drilling and extending pipes.

At this stage I don't want him to turn up to finish the job. I don't want someone who'd lie about the death of a child in my house at all.

You might well be right about the live and learn, though...
    :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Best off to just get someone else to finish the job

Unfortunately you have to live and learn but you will ve wiser in the future

Advertisement